XbsX: Connecting WD 14TB Easy store Ex HDD causes all programs to not load / freeze.

Discus and support XbsX: Connecting WD 14TB Easy store Ex HDD causes all programs to not load / freeze. in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; With my WD 14TB easy store connected to the Xbox Series X, I am unable to open any program. They hang upon opening and state "Please try again".... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by KayaGainwind, Nov 20, 2020.

1. KayaGainwind
    KayaGainwind Guest

XbsX: Connecting WD 14TB Easy store Ex HDD causes all programs to not load / freeze.

With my WD 14TB easy store connected to the Xbox Series X, I am unable to open any program. They hang upon opening and state "Please try again". Removing the hard drive immediately resolves the issue. Any help?

:)

KayaGainwind, Nov 20, 2020
  2. Derek_10 Win User

All movies newly added to my external hard drive won't play on my Xbox one X through the VLC media player or the Microsoft media app.

The media files are either MPEG-4 or MKV. I can confidently say that the issue is not due to file compatibility as I have many other files in those formats that play just fine.

This is the exact issue: I have an external HDD connected to my Xbox with all my media (movies mainly) files that I have saved throughout the years. When you initially connect an external HDD to the Xbox it asks if this is for storing Games/Screen Captures
    or if this is for Media playback. In this case media playback is selected and then all the files currently on the HDD will show up and play without issue.

Now here is the issue. After the initial setup and selecting this HDD as media only, any additional files I add to my HDD the Microsoft Media Player as well as VLC will recognize the file/folder depending on how I have it formatted, but:

1) If the file is not in a folder both programs will recognize the file but will not play it

or

2) If the file is in a folder, then when I open the folder the folder is empty.

This is a new issue and has never happened in the past.

One potential temporary solution I thought of, but I don't know how to do it or if it is possible: Can I have the Xbox forget the external HDD (without clearing the HDD obviously) so as to the next time I plug it in it will recognize the external HDD as
    a new drive and I can select Games vs Media again? This way after media is selected all my new files will show up as well.

Update: I restarted my Xbox and reselecting the Games vs Media did not work. When trying to play an individual file (of the new files just added, because all my previous files in the same format work just fine)

Update #2: The external HDD I am using is a WD 8TB Easy store. As I stated above all my old files work but none of the new files do. As my issue was not formatting, I dug out my old HDD (a 2TB Seagate) and added my new files to that. All the new files played
    normally. The question is.... why are new files not playing on my WD while they play normally on the Seagate. (BTW: Yes both HDD are formatted the same, exFAT). At least for me this appears to be an external HDD issue. I will do one more update after clearing
    my WD HDD before adding everything back, but this will take around 1 day.

Update #3: After erasing all media and adding it back to my WD external HDD all files (including the new ones) play as normal.
  3. luissolid Win User

Xbox one game crash and external drive notifies as ready

Some External HDD have different performance, for example I have a WD passport X and when the HDD it's over 50% usage have some issues with the games. (Don't load)
  4. Dj KRIPTO Win User

Have full signal strength, but can't connect to LIVE

what about if you are having problems with your xbox freezing on dashboard and then not connecting to live. To further inform everyone of my problem when I turn my xbox on with the Ethernet cable attached it freezes before even loading the dash board. without
    Ethernet cable attached xbox works fine. I will also inform you that it is not a hdd issue cause the issue continues even when hdd is removed. PLEASE DONT TELL ME TO MAKE A NEW THREAD CAUSE I HAVE MADE FIVE AND I WILL POLITELY TELL YOU HOW IT IS IF YOU DO!!!
  5. Irixion Win User

Xbox 360 Slim keeps freezing; I can't fix it.

Remove your HDD, try to use your console. If it doesn't freeze then it's your HDD. If it still freezes, remove all devices from your 360. USB drives, Kinect, HDD, unplug everything. Try to use it then. If it freezes then, then your console needs to be sent
    in for repair. If it doesn't, plug in one device at a time testing to see which device causes it to freeze.
  6. FAM15 Win User

no digital ea games working on my system need help!!!!!!

they install for ex bf4 gets struck at loading loop trying to join game.Titanfall freezes at loading screen and the new ufc demo wont load.
Thema:

1. XbsX: Connecting WD 14TB Easy store Ex HDD causes all programs to not load / freeze. - Similar Threads - XbsX Connecting 14TB

2. Xbox Dev Menu - XBSX is restarting itself upon trying to proceed to second step (getting...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Dev Menu - XBSX is restarting itself upon trying to proceed to second step (getting...: In my company, we were trying to switch one of the XBSX consoles to Dev Mode using Xbox Dev Menu app downloaded from the Microsoft Store on XBSX. After trying to do so, the console restarts itself...
  3. Xbsx broadcasting as a WIFI access point - Alpha skip ahead

in XboX Insiders
    Xbsx broadcasting as a WIFI access point - Alpha skip ahead: I am aware of how strange that sounds.... First noticed it last night when hooking up my Wii U(figured I'd get some mario kart in before nintendo shutsdown the service in a few months), and when...
  4. wheel force feedback bug on xbsx.

in XboX Insiders
    wheel force feedback bug on xbsx.: HI, I have been informed by thrustmaster that a force feedback bug is present on xbsx & xb1. can anyone confirm this is correct? I see the bug listed as a know issue in march, april, June,...
  5. Suddenly I can't save games with 100s of GB of space in ALL games on XBSX

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Suddenly I can't save games with 100s of GB of space in ALL games on XBSX: Xbox you really need to look into this or give the consumer a legitimate response as to why this happening. This is now the 7th maybe 8th time I've dealt with this. The Xbox suddenly decides it...
  6. Can Fallout 4 Work in progress mods "Brick" my XBSX?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can Fallout 4 Work in progress mods "Brick" my XBSX?: What I mean by brick is break my xbox in any way, or does it only break the game? a80dec73-68c2-4f09-aef5-e22bc4e906a3
  7. What is wrong with my XBSX?

in XBoX on Consoles
    What is wrong with my XBSX?: So I was just playing some BF2042 and then went to play some COD MW2 and when I started COD i saw the normal COD backround image but then after that goes away I see a screen thats half BF2042 half...
  8. DLC stuck in Manage Updates on XBSX

in XBoX Games and Apps
    DLC stuck in Manage Updates on XBSX: A while ago I uninstalled Destiny 2 from my console. For some reason the DLC then requested an update (see image) and is now in my Manage Updates tab on the Xbox Series X. I can not update these...
  9. XBSX - Nothing showing after resetting my console but keeping games and apps

in XboX Insiders
    XBSX - Nothing showing after resetting my console but keeping games and apps: I had an issue loading some games and apps. None would load, stating error code 0x80080005. After a search, the best guess is some files corrupted behind the scenes. Best solution was to reset...
  10. Streaming/recording on Roblox using XBSX does not work

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Streaming/recording on Roblox using XBSX does not work: When you try livestream roblox on twitch/mixer the recording does not work and when you try to record a clip it dosent work and no notification to say the recording has started. This is an XBSX...