XBOX360S HDMI - Works on 1 TV but not others

Discus and support XBOX360S HDMI - Works on 1 TV but not others in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I've seen a few different threads with similar issues to this, but none so far that seem to have an answer. I've owned by XBOX360S for some time. It... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Goochie Master, Jan 4, 2016.

1. XBOX360S HDMI - Works on 1 TV but not others

I've seen a few different threads with similar issues to this, but none so far that seem to have an answer.

I've owned by XBOX360S for some time. It was plugged into a Philips HDTV @1080P over HDMI and working fine. Last year, I changed out the TV to a Samsung LED 55" also @1080P. XBOX360S continued to work just fine. I kept my old TV and pushed it to the spare
    room.

I recently decided to upgrade to an XBOX one and sell my 360. I had the XBOX360 evaluated at a store (for trade) - they said it wasn't working. I took it home, plugged it into my Samsung TV and it worked fine. I then decided to try it on the older Phillips
    TV (which I had previously used) but no picture/sound - it simply says "Unsupported Format" - it is getting a signal, it just doesn't like it. (Yes I used the same cable).

I decided to try it on a different Viewsonic LED monitor - same issue - a signal is detected, but it refuses to display. Plug it back into the Samsung and it works fine again.

I have formatted the HDD, Cleared the cache and tried changing the display settings while plugged into the Samsung to dummy it down to a lower resolution and then retry on the Philips. All to no avail.

It's almost like the XBOX has decided to blacklist other TVs, but will only work with the one TV.

I also tried the Y + RT solution. I can see it trying.. screen flickers.. but no joy.

The fact that it works perfectly with my Samsung tell me that the HDMI port is working and my other TV/Monitors are working with computers, apple TV, u-verse with HDMI connected peripherals and the same cables.

I'm think that there must be some way to reset the XBOX360, but not finding anything. Help please XBOX360S HDMI - Works on 1 TV but not others :)

:)

Goochie Master, Jan 4, 2016
  2. hdmi not working on one tv but works on others

this is weird

well you got the manual for your TV and tried to reinstall everything?

you mechou the cable and noticed that with bad contact when you fold it?

already tried to use the initial configuration of your tv and xbox 360?

I hope your answer: D

DEATH LIVE BR, Jan 4, 2016
  3. ABurr14
    ABurr14 Guest
    hdmi not working on one tv but works on others

yea i tried that a few times actually haha

ABurr14, Jan 4, 2016
  4. maxen
    maxen Guest

Is it possible that the refresh rate setting has flipped between 50Hz and 60Hz? So let's say old TV was 50Hz, when you used it on the Samsung it automatically changed to 60Hz and now 50Hz TVs cannot pick it up and display the signal (or vice versa)... Fairly
    long shot here, but it's worth looking at if you can.

Let us know how you get on. If it's not that we'll have to think of something else to try... XBOX360S HDMI - Works on 1 TV but not others :)

maxen, Jan 4, 2016
  5. Thanks Maxen.. but that's not it. Both TVs are 60hz.. I'm in the US and I don't believe we use 50hz here (I want to say that this is a PAL option). It's not an option to change in the XBOX configuration. I even dug out my old composite/component cable that
    came with my original dead 360 and while I could get it to work on either component (at HD resolution 1080P) or composite, it still refuses to initialize on that TV over HDMI.

Goochie Master, Jan 4, 2016
  6. Irixion
    Irixion Guest
    If resetting your console's display settings ( Y + RT ) Doesn't work, then set the console to output at 720p on the TV that does work, and then plug it back into the TV that doesn't. If 720p still doesn't output properly, then there's an incompatibility
    between the console and TV, probably related to HDCP, but nothing you can really do if that is the case. If it does work with 720p, then just leave it at that. Very few, if any Xbox 360 games run at any higher resolution than that, and the console just upscales
    it when it's outputting at 1080i/p. Either way, your TV can do the upscaling in this scenario, when it stretches the full image over to your screen.

Irixion, Jan 4, 2016
  7. entexman
    entexman Guest
    This sounds like a frustrating issue. I did a little reading on HDCP handshaking and found this set of troubleshooting steps:

"General 1:1 (or digital receiver between source and display) HDMI handshake troubleshooting

If you are having HDMI handshake issues / audio video drops in general without HDMI Distribution equipment (e.g. Source device directly connected to display with HDMI Cable or if your Digital Receiver is not recognized by the display as an HDCP device if
    between source and display) you might want to use a HDMI Switch between the source/receiver and the display. The receiver /source device then handshakes with the switch, the switch regenerates the handshake protocol and then handshakes with the display. The
    switch which has another HDMI timing/chipset than the source device then negotiates with the display. Only use this method as a last resort if no additional firmware upgrades are possible to the source device or the display.

HDCP handshake issues can be caused by the HDMI cables that are used if the pins are damaged or the cable does not conform to the correct HDMI specifications. Change the cable to test if this is the case before inserting a switch between source and display
    and use gold plated connector cables for best possible signal transfer on HDMI connections.

Most displays / sources have a sequence of buttons to press on the remote control or an option in the Menu to reset to factory defaults. Use this sequence or option to reset source / display to factory defaults and check if the HDMI Handshake issues are
    solved."

entexman, Jan 4, 2016
  8. XBOX360S HDMI - Works on 1 TV but not others

Irixion: That was one of the first things I tried. No joy.

Entexman: Yes. It does sound like a handshake problem. I will try some different cables for giggles. I tried a factory reset on the non-working TV - that didn't help.. it actually made some of the other attached devices stop working - although a couple of
    reboots later and those issues cleared up (for those devices) but still no joy with the 360. I haven't tried a HDMI switch but I don't own one either.

Goochie Master, Jan 5, 2016
  9. Goochie Master, Jan 5, 2016
  10. entexman
    entexman Guest
    Really strange. Sorry that there is no easy fix for this one. It sounds like you did all the troubleshooting you can do. Maybe there is a problem with the HDMI port on the 360 and some TVs are more forgiving of the issue than others?

entexman, Jan 5, 2016
  11. Irixion
    Irixion Guest
    It all probably stems to HDCP and its implementations. It could also be an incompatibility due to the version of HDMI that your TV uses vs the version of HDMI that the Xbox 360 uses. Depending on said implementations, some TVs may not be backward compatible
    for some versions.

Irixion, Oct 31, 2018
  12. Goochie Master Win User

13. Irixion Win User

It all probably stems to HDCP and its implementations. It could also be an incompatibility due to the version of HDMI that your TV uses vs the version of HDMI that the Xbox 360 uses. Depending on said implementations, some TVs may not be backward compatible
    for some versions.
  14. entexman Win User

Really strange. Sorry that there is no easy fix for this one. It sounds like you did all the troubleshooting you can do. Maybe there is a problem with the HDMI port on the 360 and some TVs are more forgiving of the issue than others?
  15. Goochie Master Win User

Irixion: That was one of the first things I tried. No joy.

Entexman: Yes. It does sound like a handshake problem. I will try some different cables for giggles. I tried a factory reset on the non-working TV - that didn't help.. it actually made some of the other attached devices stop working - although a couple of
    reboots later and those issues cleared up (for those devices) but still no joy with the 360. I haven't tried a HDMI switch but I don't own one either.
  16. Irixion Win User

If resetting your console's display settings ( Y + RT ) Doesn't work, then set the console to output at 720p on the TV that does work, and then plug it back into the TV that doesn't. If 720p still doesn't output properly, then there's an incompatibility
    between the console and TV, probably related to HDCP, but nothing you can really do if that is the case. If it does work with 720p, then just leave it at that. Very few, if any Xbox 360 games run at any higher resolution than that, and the console just upscales
    it when it's outputting at 1080i/p. Either way, your TV can do the upscaling in this scenario, when it stretches the full image over to your screen.
Thema:

1. XBOX360S HDMI - Works on 1 TV but not others - Similar Threads - XBOX360S HDMI Works

2. DNS error 80151903 on xbox360

in XBoX on Consoles
    DNS error 80151903 on xbox360: I keep getting a dns error when testing connecting WiFi this is my first time and when I turn Xbox on it says the 80151903 3237def7-6908-4517-aef8-73335ac9f7cf
  3. Can't add visa to Xbox360

in XBoX on Windows
    Can't add visa to Xbox360: I can't add my Visa to my Xbox360 account, keeps giving me the error code 8C250005. I'm trying to buy some stuff before the store closes for good. dcc7a901-2c5f-49a2-9e58-3bae12430bd7
  4. I cannot connect my xbox360 to live.com

in XBoX on Consoles
    I cannot connect my xbox360 to live.com: It was connect before but I don't know what happened c50efddc-45f4-4b4d-b321-a9e9c46e688a
  5. HELP! Screen glitching - Issues using PAL 60 format on old XBOX360 (no HDMI) when connected...

in XBoX on Windows
    HELP! Screen glitching - Issues using PAL 60 format on old XBOX360 (no HDMI) when connected...: I'm currently isolating with COVID and have bought my first XBOX360 to pass the time - it's an old model from 2005 without a built-in HDMI socket so have bought an RCA to HDMI converter to connect...
  6. HDMI no signal xbox360

in XBoX on Consoles
    HDMI no signal xbox360: Hello to everyone my problem with my xbox360 is that it doesn't have signal with my HDMI cable. The Television and the cable works right because I can connect my laptop with my hdmi cable on the...
  7. XBox360 -> XBoxOne -> TV HDMI signal transition will not work

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBox360 -> XBoxOne -> TV HDMI signal transition will not work: It is recommended somewhere in FAQ to connect 360 to "HDMI In" outlet of the XOne. Being switched on, the One sees 360 as a TV and will not allow to play on 360. When One is off, the TV set does...
  8. Xbox360 hdmi signal

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox360 hdmi signal: When I connect my xbox360 to Hauppauge hd pvr 2 with HDMI-cable to record a game video Hauppauge-box doesn't "see" my video source at all. When I connect my friend's xbox360 (same model) with the...
  9. xbox360 black screen hdmi

in XBoX on Consoles
    xbox360 black screen hdmi: I accidentally removed the HDMI cable while the xbox was still on! Now in the hdmi screen viewing experience is black, in component works well! help txs 836b7a96-2470-4a01-b217-774c7a05528b
  10. problems connecting xbox360 via HDMI through A/V Reciever

in XBoX on Consoles
    problems connecting xbox360 via HDMI through A/V Reciever: I recently purchased a new Marantz A/V receiver that supports HDMI switching, after initially setting everything up I found I was getting no video nor audio signal from the xbox to the TV....