Xbox X|S controller no longer working reliably with Windows 10 PC

Discus and support Xbox X|S controller no longer working reliably with Windows 10 PC in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi folks I've had an Xbox X|S controller for a while now and have successfully used it with Steam and Epic games on the PC for some time. It would... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Jason_Crouch, Oct 6, 2022.

1. Jason_Crouch
    Jason_Crouch Guest

Hi folks

I've had an Xbox X|S controller for a while now and have successfully used it with Steam and Epic games on the PC for some time. It would occasionally disconnect, but generally it would reconnect quickly. It would always be recognised by the PC when I pressed the Xbox button, a few slow flashes and then a solid white.

I haven't played in a few months during which time the PC has probably had some minor updates, but no major releases (I haven't upgraded to 11 yet).

Today I turned on the Xbox controller and the central button flashed white for a while, and didn't connect to the PC at all. I tried removing the device from "Bluetooth & other devices" section of Settings, and re-pairing - however, the PC only occasionally recognised the Xbox controller even existed. If the controller is in pairing mode, quick pair had a 50/50 chance of noticing a new device, but then would often not pair or connect. Using Settings > Bluetooth and over devices > [+] add bluetooth device it woudl often not notice the controller was there at all.

The PC is a custom build, AMD Ryzen 5 3600 running Windows 10 Pro with all current updates.

The BT device is a TP-Link 5.0 USB dongle

Can anyone shed any light?

Best

Jason

:)

Jason_Crouch, Oct 6, 2022
  2. JosefLBohorquez Win User

Hi Jason, may I know if you tried pairing the controller and disconnecting the keyboard and mouse? (If you have it connected to the same Bluetooth adapter)

I ask this because "The Xbox Wireless Controller can connect via Bluetooth to many PCs, tablets, laptops, and VR/AR headsets. However, reliability is dependent on the device’s Bluetooth card and experiences may vary."
    Source: https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/hardware-ne...

If the issue persists even with only the controller connected try this:
    A. Reinstall your controller driver:
    Press Windows key + X and select Device Manager > search something like Xbox controller category (or similar) > expand the category using the little arrow (">") > select delete/uninstall driver

Click OK, restart your PC and reconnect the controller.

B. If the issue persists, reinstall/update Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator driver.

You can do it following previous steps, but now select Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator.

Can take a while, would be great to wait up to 15 minutes before trying again
  3. JasonJCrouch Win User

I’ve just finished troubleshooting (for maybe an hour or so!).

Note that I was not using any other Bluetooth device at the time, the keyboards and mice I use for that pc are wired or use another rf receiver. I mentioned that the Bluetooth could connect to keyboards and mice to confirm that the BT dongle was working with other things.

Finally I re-installed the Tp link driver downloaded from the manufacturer’s website. (Which I had done before). This time it seemed to “take” and the Xbox controller worked for the next hour.

I’ll check tomorrow to see if the connection is reliable.
  4. JosefLBohorquez Win User

Hi and thanks for reaching Microsoft Xbox gamer's community. My name is Josef.
    I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft Xbox user like you.

Hope you're doing great today despite this Jason

We can try to isolate the issue a bit more.
    May I know if you can try pairing the controller to a different device via Bluetooth to see how it goes?
    If everything's working on another device, can you try connecting a different controller via Bluetooth to your PC?
    Or... If you connect the controller with a cable, it works? (When you connect the controller wired, open the accessories app and check for new controller firmware update)
  5. Jason_Crouch Win User

I can pair the device to my phone, and to my macbook pro.

With the Xbox controller I used to have occasional disconnection problems with an older USB BT 4.0 dongle, so I upgraded to a BT 5.0 dongle. This was pretty reliable until today. Other devices (logitech mice and keyboards, mainly) work with the PC BT dongle.

The Xbox controller works when connected by a USB-C cable.

The accessories app shows that it has the current firmware

Best

Jason
  6. Obsessive Power Win User

Xbox one S serie controller and xbox one V3 wireless PC dongle

Hi,

The Series S and X controllers work on same devices the earlier controller can connect to. This includes:

Xbox One Game receiver for Windows 10

Bluetooth (PC, Android, iOS)

Xbox One, One S, X and Series X/S.
Thema:

1. Xbox X|S controller no longer working reliably with Windows 10 PC - Similar Threads - X|S controller longer

2. Series x/s controller

in XBoX on Consoles
    Series x/s controller: I've been having what I wanna say like input delays or something cause when I go the hit the Y and A buttons sometimes it don't register that I hit it.. is it safe to say take it back were I got...
  3. Some of my Xbox Series X|S controller buttons stopped working correctly all of a sudden?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Some of my Xbox Series X|S controller buttons stopped working correctly all of a sudden?: I don't have xbox console, only the controller. I use it to play games on my laptop (windows 10). I left the controller untouched quite some time (2 or 3 months without playing). when i came back...
  4. Xbox Wireless Controller – 20th Anniversary Special Edition for Xbox Series X|S bricked...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Wireless Controller – 20th Anniversary Special Edition for Xbox Series X|S bricked...: I have a Xbox Wireless Controller – 20th Anniversary Special Edition for Xbox Series X|S. I'm using the controller on my PC with Windows 11.The controller was working fine via bluetooth. I...
  5. I have been having an issue with stick drift in my Xbox series X/S ( Shock Blue controller)

in XBoX on Consoles
    I have been having an issue with stick drift in my Xbox series X/S ( Shock Blue controller): I have been having bad luck when it comes to Xbox controllers and stick drift. I have updated them to the current firmware, I have used them sparingly, as to not ruin the controller. My left...
  6. Why does my Xbox series x/s wireless controller disconnect when my Xbox one disconnects...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my Xbox series x/s wireless controller disconnect when my Xbox one disconnects...: When I came back home as I brought my Xbox to my friends house, it always disconnects from the WiFi and I don't know why. When it disconnected, my controller also disconnected....
  7. Xbox Series S|X controller just blinking via USB

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series S|X controller just blinking via USB: I've been trying to connect my controller via usb to my Windows 11 desktop. When trying this the controller just blinks and doesn't connect. things I've tried: - 6 different type-C cables -...
  8. Xbox One X/S Controller disconnecting from First Gen Xbox One

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox One X/S Controller disconnecting from First Gen Xbox One: Howdy y'all, Idk if any of you have had an issue like this but I've tried everything that Microsoft recommends as well as other internet explanations and troubleshoots and long story short, no...
  9. Xbox 360 controller remake for the series x and s

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox 360 controller remake for the series x and s: I feel like it would be so cool for them to remake a Xbox 360 controller for the new Xbox series X and S they did it with the OG Xbox controller.. it would be so nostalgic plus it was so comfy to...
  10. Xbox Series X|S controller not connecting to PC via Bluetooth

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X|S controller not connecting to PC via Bluetooth: Hello! Since this morning my Xbox Series X|S controller is not working properly. I bought it a couple weeks ago and it was working perfectly, but today suddenly stopped being recognized by my PC...