Xbox won't turn off properly.

Discus and support Xbox won't turn off properly. in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; When i turn off my Xbox one, wether via the pad or voice, it does the following: light on front of console flashes on and off, Kinect turns on an off... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by E McSq, Apr 9, 2015.

1. E McSq
    E McSq Guest

When i turn off my Xbox one, wether via the pad or voice, it does the following:

light on front of console flashes on and off,

Kinect turns on an off continuously,

A scratching noise can be heard coming from the console, which coincides with the Kinect turning off (scratching noise stops when kinect turns on),

The above continues for 10-15 minutes, then the console shuts all the way down instead of going into instant on mode (light on the psu turns orange)

This only happens when i have a game and apps running when i turn off the system.

Basically, i have to shut down all applications before i turn off, meaning suspending my gameplay overnight is essentially broken.

My console is plugged directly into the wall socket,

Instant on mode is turned on,

I am NOT using an external hard drive.

I have hard reset but the problem persits.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

:)

E McSq, Apr 9, 2015
  2. DooRags
    DooRags Guest
    "Enrollpending"

In the meantime, my game freezes every time I try to use the dashboard menus ("reported" that over a month ago with the report feature), my Hames won't start properly, the turn off options won't come up properly, I can't use the turn off functiona once it
    comes up, there'a a bit more problems than that and I'm sure I've been on this pending for 2months.

DooRags, Apr 9, 2015
  3. Bakonon
    Bakonon Guest
    Turning off TV/Projector Optoma HD20

I've properly configured my Xbox to turn on my projector, an Optoma HD20, when I turn on my Xbox, but it won't turn off the HD20. When I say, "Xbox Turn Off" and then, "Yes," it only goes through half the command required to turn off the HD20. There's a
    confirmation dialog that comes on the screen, requesting that the off button be pressed again on the remote in order to confirm shutdown.

I don't know how simple it would be to fix, but adding a second IR signal to power off would get the desired result.

Bakonon, Apr 9, 2015
  4. E McSq
    E McSq Guest

So it seems my xbox does not shut down correctly even if i quit all applications before turning off.

It's also worth noting that i recently had my xbox and kinect replaced with a brand new unit, and that the previous console also suffered from this issue, which seemed to begin after the febuarury or march update.

Is it a software issue?

Are others experiencing this problem?

Some advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

E McSq, Apr 11, 2015
  5. E McSq
    E McSq Guest
    I would be grateful if support could offer me some insight into why my xbox won't shut down properly, or any potential fixes.

Many thanks.

E McSq, Apr 19, 2015
  6. Miss Diggz
    Miss Diggz Guest
    Hey there E Mc Sq,

I'm sorry to hear about the issue. Let's try out some troubleshooting steps to see if we can get things sorted for you.

• Power Cycle your Xbox One console by holding the Xbox button on the front of the console for approximately 10 seconds.
    • Once your console is completely off, unplug the console from the power source and give it a few minutes.
    • Then, plug all the cords back in and turn on your console. (Try a different wall outlet if possible)
    • Use your console and then try shutting it off as you normally would.
    Try out those steps above and let me know how it goes. Thanks!

Miss Diggz, Apr 20, 2015
  7. E McSq
    E McSq Guest
    Thanks for responding Miss Diggz,

I tried those troubleshooting steps, and at first it seemed to work, but unfortunately the problem returned.

However, i discovered that when my xbox is refusing to shutdown, if i hold down the home button on the joypad for long enough, the pad turns off, and the xbox then immediately shuts down correctly.

It is quite strange (pad is fully updated by the way)

E McSq, Apr 21, 2015
  8. Miss Diggz
    Miss Diggz Guest

Hey again E Mc Sq!

Thanks for sending along the update and what your findings were, I appreciate it! When you have time, I'd suggest trying these additional steps to see if we can narrow down the root cause.

• Unplug the Kinect from your Xbox One console.
    • Power Cycle your Xbox One console by holding the Xbox button on the front of the console for approximately 10 seconds.
    • Once your console is completely off, unplug the console from the power source and give it a few minutes.
    • Then, plug all the cords back in and turn on your console.
    • Use your console and then try shutting it off as you normally would still with the Kinect unplugged.
    If your console seems to be turning on, working, and turning off normally, try plugging the Kinect back in and doing the steps.

If you're able to complete all those steps in that specific order, I'd love to hear how it went. Thanks!

Miss Diggz, Apr 22, 2015
  9. E McSq
    E McSq Guest
    Hi Miss Diggz,

I will follow your steps to the letter, test it out across the next few days and post my results.

Thanks for your continued help.

E McSq, Apr 22, 2015
  10. E McSq
    E McSq Guest
    So i:

Unplugged Kinect,

Held down the console power button untill the xbox turned off,

Unplugged everything and left it for 10 minutes,

Plugged it all back in APART from the Kinect....

And the machine still won't shut down properly.

Holding down the home button on the controller while the machine is refusing to shut down also has no affect, so my earlier findings were coincidental.

If i turn off the console within, say, 2 hours of it being on, it shuts down fine, but if the xbox has been on for 5+ hours, thats when the problem seems to occur.

Apart from that, everything else works perfectly.

E McSq, Oct 31, 2018
  11. Raian93 Win User

Xbox not turning off properly

No, I don't have anything plugged into the console.
  12. Sean2383 Win User

Xbox not turning off properly

Hey a Tricky,

Quick question, are you using a play and charge kit?

If using one and it is still connected to the controller it will keep running until the controller is charged (that doesn't explain unglugging the Ethernet however)

Sean
  13. DooRags Win User

"Enrollpending"

In the meantime, my game freezes every time I try to use the dashboard menus ("reported" that over a month ago with the report feature), my Hames won't start properly, the turn off options won't come up properly, I can't use the turn off functiona once it
    comes up, there'a a bit more problems than that and I'm sure I've been on this pending for 2months.
  14. DeniqL Win User

How to properly turn off xbox

Hi,! I'm Luis, a fellow Xbox Gamer . Thanks for reaching us out here.

Yes. As long as you shut it down correctly, and wait for it to go through the shutdown procedure as you are doing there should be no problem at al :)
  15. Big Norm 2000 Win User

xbox one apps and games hang on quickstart

Also had the same issue. I don't use speech to shut down anymore. Using my controller to turn it off seems to work. If I boot up under a quick start usually even the controller won't work properly. I hold the button on the controller to turn off the console
    all it does is turn off the controller. Hopefully Microsoft is working on it.
Thema:

1. Xbox won't turn off properly. - Similar Threads - won't turn off

2. My controller won't work left thumbstick up then turns off on its own ?

in XBoX on Consoles
    My controller won't work left thumbstick up then turns off on its own ?: Hey guys my controller stopped working outta nowhere the left thumbstick up won't work and the just turns off any suggestions or have you experienced this double issue...
  3. Xbox wireless headset randomly turned off and won't turn back on. I tried doing hard reset...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox wireless headset randomly turned off and won't turn back on. I tried doing hard reset...: Xbox wireless headset won't turn on . No lights . Nothing. It just randomly quit working outta nowhere. I tried hard reset , plugging into Xbox, plugging into the wall. Nothing ! It's not my...
  4. Series S froze on main menu and xbox won't stay turned off.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Series S froze on main menu and xbox won't stay turned off.: I have a 1 yr old Series S, it froze on the homescreen and none of the controller buttons do anything. I can turn it off with the power button on the Xbox but it randomly turns itself back on like...
  5. Xbox Series S won't stay on, it clicks then turns off.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series S won't stay on, it clicks then turns off.: Hi , so my Series S randomly stopped working. Every time I try to turn it on it'll light up for a second, make a click and turn off. My first thought was cable/powerstrip, so I tried it on it's on...
  6. Xbox won't turn off and is frozen.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox won't turn off and is frozen.: Yesterday Read Dead Redemption 2 froze, glitched, and crashed and I can no longer open it. Today my Xbox one (white edition) worked as normal, we were watching videos on the YouTube app. We...
  7. Xbox series X won't connect to tv and turns off after 30 seconds?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series X won't connect to tv and turns off after 30 seconds?: My Xbox series X, that I've had without issue for a few months, won't connect to the tv anymore and it turns off after around 30 seconds. The fan doesn't seem to be spinning correctly either- it...
  8. Series X games wont load controllers won't connect/turn off

in XboX Insiders
    Series X games wont load controllers won't connect/turn off: Hello, I can use all apps and watch streaming shows,browse and purchase from store and everything else. But when i try to launch any games (including disk) either goes to black screen or goes...
  9. Why won't my settings save when I turn off my Xbox 360?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why won't my settings save when I turn off my Xbox 360?: My settings won't save when I turn off the console 921a7cd0-cdab-42ec-98ec-2f5856439bfa
  10. How do I turn off a pack that won't even let me turn it off?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How do I turn off a pack that won't even let me turn it off?: I downloaded a pack that just won't let me turn it off or delete it. And the only way I think I could do it is by deleting Minecraft and downloading it again. But there is a really important world...