Xbox wont read my 250g hard drive

Discus and support Xbox wont read my 250g hard drive in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; As of 12:00 pm, Jan 6 th , 2015. after this update my x box will not read my hard drive! I have not bought a new hard drive, swapped it out or did some... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by TROJANchamp1, Jan 5, 2014.

1. TROJANchamp1
    TROJANchamp1 Guest

As of 12:00 pm, Jan 6 th , 2015. after this update my x box will not read my hard drive! I have not bought a new hard drive, swapped it out or did some third part thing I've been reading on other post's! This hard drive came with the x box. I was playing
    online when my Xbox automatically restarted, and when it came back on it said I need to update it, but I couldn't because it could ready hard drive or it said it was an unformatted hard drive. I know it didn't crap out on me because I was playing online with
    my hard drive before this happened! From what I have read on the other post's , every one is having the same problem and it happed all at the same time recently. It seem veery suspicious that this happened all at once and the only way to fix the problem us
    to buy a new hardrive. I know it was not my fault the my Xbox can read my hard drive. I know I didn't press Amy thing wrong because I was just playing online. This update is to blame because their are a lot of people with this same problems. I have already
    use the hardrive and x box console trouble shooting instructions that Xbox 360 website recommended. I moved my hard drive to another Xbox and the same problem happens. I even downloaded the update and I'm still not able to use my hardrive. I have a lot of
    money worth of games and other items that are in my hard drive. And if this update was a way to make every one buy new hardrives I'm going to be pissed. I know their is nothing wrong with the hard drive. I know for sure I didn't cause it because I was playing
    online, and my Xbox restarted itself and the 360 logo screen came on. Lasted longer than normal and then the update appeared. And after that my hard drive is useless. This seem like it was a virus that was put in the wipe our hardrives. So some thing better
    be done because I'm not to happy right now. I know this is not a normal thing because this happened recently with a good amount of other costumer's all within an hour's period. So either you find a way to resolve this problem, or a lot of businesses will be
    lost if this happened to a lot of people around the world. I already read a few posts saying they were going to switch to PlayStation because of these kind of problems. I love Xbox , but I don't think its fair to put up a destructive update that forces us
    to upgrade hardrives or systems.

:)

TROJANchamp1, Jan 5, 2014
  2. Aridous76
    Aridous76 Guest
    Status Code 3524-0000-0080-0300-D000-0185

Didn't work. Powered down removed my hard drive, re installed 250g black xbox with internal hard drive. No storage devices connected.

Aridous76, Jan 5, 2014
  3. halo 2 not playing on 360

I have halo 2 live in disc form that I'm trying to play on a 360. I have a 250g internal hard drive. ive tried everything it still wont play.

BragDiamond10, Jan 5, 2014
  4. Xbox wont read my 250g hard drive

Though im having the same problem, and i agree something needs to be done, i dont agree that this was a forceful move by msoft for us to buy new harddrives. I do believe however, that something went out through the network that caused this. I never had an
    update issue until this. This is affecting all kinds of hdds, wether aftermarket or not. I feel your pain ive got 5+ years of save files on my hard drive and its now unformatted. To tell me its not possible for Msoft to recover our data is rediculous and laughable.
    This needs to be remedied asap

johannasceasara, Jan 6, 2014
  5. Hey there

Welcome to the forums

As I have said on the other posts, the Xbox Support staff have taken note of the situation and will be passing it up. Also the XBLPET will see the threads and most likely investigate the issue further (As support said in chat).

Sorry I can not help further

Regards,

Nathan Roberts (SunkNath), Jan 6, 2014
  6. Does the hard drive u use have to be specifically xbox branded or can it be another brand?

ArguableChimp97, Jan 6, 2014
  7. Hey there

Welcome to the forums

You can use other branded Xbox 360 Hard Drives if you want. However it is recommended that you use official branded products.

Also, about the Question regarding the update that had un formatted the hard Drive. Support have given me some more troubleshooting steps for you to try:

They have some more things for you to try your self. Could you please unplug your Xbox 360 and everything that is connected to it. After you have done this, you will need to inject the Hard Drive for the console. For help with this, please follow the instructions
    within the article bellow.

support.xbox.com/.../add-remove-hard-drive

After you have done this, please plug everything back into your Xbox 360. Plug everything back in, including your network cables. Then start it up again. After you have done this, you should then see the Hard Drive back in the Storage area, and it should
    be formatted back to the Xbox 360.

All of this information has been handed down from phone support, and they say it should work with this. However if it doesn't work, please feel free to ring support your self or keep posted to the forums for more troubleshooting steps.

Please post back any results back from this step. I hope this helps you,

Regards,

Nathan Roberts (SunkNath), Jan 7, 2014
  8. Xbox wont read my 250g hard drive

Ive tried this, and it hasnt worked for me. Same thing happens. Ill keep trying it periodically however. Maybe ill get lucky as some people in other threads have

johannasceasara, Jan 8, 2014
  9. Hey there

Thanks for the reply

I have another thing for you to try and it has worked with two people with this problem now. Could you try re formatting your Hard Drive three times in a row. Then try again.

Hopefully this works with you, please post back your results

Regards,

Nathan Roberts (SunkNath), Jan 8, 2014
  10. But if we reformat, wont our game saves be lost suknath? The point was to be able to make our hdds unformatted without losing our data.

johannasceasara, Jan 8, 2014
  11. If re-seating the HDD didn't fix the issue and a HDD is showing up in storage then your FAT was wiped and there is no way to recover the data.

VisageOfAnAngel, Jan 8, 2014
  12. I had the same problem, tried a bunch of things. Even took my hard drive into a Microsoft Store, they tried it in another consoles, connecting it to a PC, using the USB and a cable, even trying to just copy the data to another hard drive. No luck, no luck
    at all.

Unfortunately I had to reformat the hard drive. The good news, is the hard drive seems fine. The bad news is:

1. Yes, I lost everything that wasn't saved to the cloud.

2. It's trying to charge me for, so far, Alan Wake, which I bought a digital copy of a few years ago. But it's trying to charge me another $20 to download it again. (Haven't tried other games yet.)

Sorry man, wish I had a better ending for ya.

David RomanDaniels, Oct 31, 2018
  13. Nathan Roberts (Sunk Win User

Hey there

Welcome to the forums

You can use other branded Xbox 360 Hard Drives if you want. However it is recommended that you use official branded products.

Also, about the Question regarding the update that had un formatted the hard Drive. Support have given me some more troubleshooting steps for you to try:

They have some more things for you to try your self. Could you please unplug your Xbox 360 and everything that is connected to it. After you have done this, you will need to inject the Hard Drive for the console. For help with this, please follow the instructions
    within the article bellow.

support.xbox.com/.../add-remove-hard-drive

After you have done this, please plug everything back into your Xbox 360. Plug everything back in, including your network cables. Then start it up again. After you have done this, you should then see the Hard Drive back in the Storage area, and it should
    be formatted back to the Xbox 360.

All of this information has been handed down from phone support, and they say it should work with this. However if it doesn't work, please feel free to ring support your self or keep posted to the forums for more troubleshooting steps.

Please post back any results back from this step. I hope this helps you,

Regards,
  14. ArguableChimp97 Win User

Does the hard drive u use have to be specifically xbox branded or can it be another brand?
  15. johannasceasara Win User

But if we reformat, wont our game saves be lost suknath? The point was to be able to make our hdds unformatted without losing our data.
  16. Nathan Roberts (Sunk Win User

Hey there

Thanks for the reply

I have another thing for you to try and it has worked with two people with this problem now. Could you try re formatting your Hard Drive three times in a row. Then try again.

Hopefully this works with you, please post back your results

Regards,
  17. Nathan Roberts (Sunk Win User

Hey there

Welcome to the forums

As I have said on the other posts, the Xbox Support staff have taken note of the situation and will be passing it up. Also the XBLPET will see the threads and most likely investigate the issue further (As support said in chat).

Sorry I can not help further

Regards,
Thema:

1. Xbox wont read my 250g hard drive - Similar Threads - wont read 250g

2. I have a usb 3.0 formatted for xbox one, and it wont read it.

in XBoX on Consoles
    I have a usb 3.0 formatted for xbox one, and it wont read it.: I have a usb 3.0 that holds most of my xbox games and apps, and recently it stopped reading it. I don't know if it's the USB port's fault or the drive's. the port works if I use a wired...
  3. Xbox one wont read MW3 disc cross gen

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox one wont read MW3 disc cross gen: Just got mw3 cross gen edition for xbox one. When I put the disc in it dosent even show up on the home screen! I've got enough storage. I've already got warzone 2 downloaded as it is free could...
  4. Why Wont my Xbox One X Read Xbox One X games?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why Wont my Xbox One X Read Xbox One X games?: I recently purchased an Xbox One X, I went to put Hogwarts Legacy for series X disc into the console, and it says the disc needs to be played in an Xbox One X… ce4ce58d-22c6-496f-a9f1-8e09c60af3f7
  5. Xbox Series X/One compatible disk wont read in Xbox One

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox Series X/One compatible disk wont read in Xbox One: My copy of Sonic Origins Plus will not work in Xbox One. No matter what, it will either not make sounds, or spin up a few times and not start downloading. What is going on?...
  6. my xbox wont read any game discs

in XBoX on Consoles
    my xbox wont read any game discs: I have an old Xbox One s possibly 5-6 years old, and recently it started to stop reading and the discs that I put in, I even tried to change the power settings, what is the repair cost?...
  7. Xbox 1 wont read discs enough to play

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox 1 wont read discs enough to play: So i had my xbox 1 since it came out. Last two years I've had an issue with it not discs. Initially i could unplug it wait a min and it would play. I had it professionally cleaned and that helped...
  8. my disc reader wont read any disc, what can i do?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    my disc reader wont read any disc, what can i do?: Hello there, I was troubleshooting the blu ray player app and discovered my disc reader is not reading any disc wether it is a game, dvd or bluray disc. Is there something that can be done to fix...
  9. Why wont my xbox 1 s not read disks anymore

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why wont my xbox 1 s not read disks anymore: My Xbox 1 S dosn't read disks anymore. It doesn't give an error or anything. Its like it just doesn't register that the game disk is even in there. Please help. 185c9e5c-d01f-4608-855b-7fb476322f68
  10. My Xbox series x wont read the disc. They are clean and don’t have any scratches

in XBoX Games and Apps
    My Xbox series x wont read the disc. They are clean and don’t have any scratches: Any of the disc I have, the Xbox is not reading them. They don’t work. They are clean and not scratched 080e35f1-b6d0-43d5-a307-72df0c06dfa2