Xbox Wireless Controller - Cannot be paired with PC

Discus and support Xbox Wireless Controller - Cannot be paired with PC in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Controller: Xbox Wireless Controller (from Jan 2023), under warranty System: PC, Windows 11 Context: I have been using this Xbox controller both... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Dak McInnis, Mar 14, 2023.

1. Dak McInnis
    Dak McInnis Guest

Controller: Xbox Wireless Controller (from Jan 2023), under warranty

System: PC, Windows 11

Context: I have been using this Xbox controller both wirelessly & via Bluetooth. It was working well on my laptop, but would not pair via Bluetooth on other laptops. Later, I had to remove the controller as a Bluetooth device. After this point, the problem was introduced on my laptop as well. Since then, I have also taken the time to leave my controller to charge, as well as update all the drivers on my laptop, but the problem has persisted.

Problem: I cannot pair my Xbox Wireless Controller with my laptop. After holding the button that puts the controller in pairing mode, it blinks rapidly for a moment and then continues to blink slowly. However, the device is not discoverable (ie: don't see it in the Bluetooth section).

Attempted Solution: I read "Revert your controller's firmware through a Windows device". As it explains, I can download the Xbox Accessories app, connect my controller with the wire and view its configuration in the Xbox Accessories app. However, when I click the link that they claim will allow me to revert my controller's firmware (ie: xboxaccessories://firmwareupdate?legacyDowngrade=true) it says "Something went wrong - Your controller is already up-to-date". This is not the expected behaviour of this link. The error message doesn't make sense, as I'm attempting to do a downgrade. Unfortunately, I cannot contact support despite being under warranty, because it says "Phone calls and chats aren't available for this issue".

:)

Dak McInnis, Mar 14, 2023
  2. Obsessive Power Win User

Switching Series X Controller between Xbox and PC

Looking at the guide it says thus:

"The Xbox Wireless Controller that comes with Xbox Series X|S includes a feature that allows for quickly switching between a paired Bluetooth device and an Xbox console or a PC using Xbox Wireless. If the controller is connected to a Bluetooth device, double-press the Pair button and the controller will immediately switch its connection to the last Xbox Wireless connection it was paired to. Then, to switch back to the paired Bluetooth device, press and hold the Pair button to start pairing mode".

This only works between a the controller paired to a PC with Bluetooth or another PC or Xbox paired via the proprietary 'Xbox Wireless' protocol. So, if you're using an Xbox Adaptor on your laptop and also own an Xbox you can only pair it to one of them. If you want to quickly swap between console and PC you'll have to use Bluetooth on the PC.

It's the same issue you'd get if you owned two consoles, you can only pair a controller to one console.
  3. Mister Beep Win User

Wireless Xbox One controller with battery on Win7

Hey Chance,

Thanks for posting! When wiring an Xbox One controller into a Windows PC to charge, the PC will switch to prioritizing that USB connection over the wireless dongle. When you unplug the controller from your PC, the PC may not pick up the wireless connection
    and a pairing the controller again would be necessary.

Hope that helps clear up the issue.
  4. cy43rguru Win User

Xbox One Windows 10 Wireless Adapter Issues

To the OPs problem for no sound and no vibration that should be fixed with the latest driver updates.

For pairing, how are you pairing the controller? I have mentioned this on other posts, one easy alternate way to pair is to have your controller connected wired to the PC, plug in the Wireless Adapter to the PC as well, wait like 5 seconds, and unplug the
    controller, the driver stack will automatically have paired the controller to the adapter, just like on the Xbox.

Once you pair the controller successfully and never use that controller for any other PC or Xbox, then the address of the adapter is saved in the controller. Repairing to the same adapter is not required. If it is not connecting, plug/unplug the adapter
    instead to reset the adapter.

We are working with our partners to address some of the major issues.
  5. Spazpol Win User

XBox One Controller on PC

Hi guys,

I was able to sync my xbox one controller to my Windows 10 PC via Bluetooth, however when I go to turn it on now to play a game on PC, it powers on my XBox. Any way around this or do I need to have a separate controller for each platform?
    You would either need a seperate controller for the PC not synced to the xbox, or just live with the pairing. If you pair your controller with the USB wireless dongle it would force the pair to the dongle instead of the console. But then you would be require
    to re-pair the controller to the console when you wanted to use it there as well.
  6. XBF - Hayabusa Win User

xbox series controller bluetooth problems

Hello [Z]1,

Try updating your controller via PC before attempting to pair it to your Mobile device again.

Note: You cannot update the controller via Bluetooth.

Update your controller on a Windows 10 PC by using the Xbox Accessories app:

1. If you don’t already have the app installed, get it in the Microsoft Store
    2. Open the Xbox Accessories app.
    3. Connect your Xbox Wireless Controller by using a USB cable or the Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows.
    4. When the controller is connected, you'll see the message Update Required if an update is mandatory. Install the update.
    After the controller is updated, remove the device from your Phone's Bluetooth paired devices, then pair it again:

Android:

1. Turn on your controller by pressing the Xbox button.
    2. Press the controller’s Pair button for 3 seconds and release.
    3. On your Android device, open Bluetooth by going to Apps > Settings > Connections > Bluetooth > Turn On.
    4. A window on your phone will show a list of nearby Bluetooth devices that are active for pairing. Select your Xbox Wireless Controller from the list.
    5. When the controller has successfully paired, you’ll see Connected below the Xbox Wireless Controller.
    iOS:

To pair your Apple device via Bluetooth:

1. On your Apple device, go to Settings > Bluetooth.
    2. Make sure Bluetooth is turned on.
    3. Turn on your Xbox Wireless Controller by pressing the Xbox button. If it’s already paired to an Xbox, turn off the controller, and then press and hold the Pair button for a few seconds.
    4. Your available devices will load. Select Xbox Wireless Controller.
    5. Wait until the controller and the Apple device show as paired.
    Additional Resources:

Connect and troubleshoot Bluetooth on your Xbox Wireless Controller | Xbox Support

Troubleshoot problems with cloud gaming | Xbox Support
Thema:

1. Xbox Wireless Controller - Cannot be paired with PC - Similar Threads - Wireless Controller Cannot

2. If is an xbox wireless controller better in Xbox cloud gaming?

in XBoX on Consoles
    If is an xbox wireless controller better in Xbox cloud gaming?: I play xbox cloud gaming with dualshock 4 via Bluetooth and usb as well. All features works well, including vibration. But I wonder if there are some advantages of playing xbox cloud gaming with...
  3. We need some Wireless controller help

in XboX Insiders
    We need some Wireless controller help: My son has an Xbox One and we bought him a wireless controller that has one of those USB receivers he lost the receiver. I'm a gamer myself and I'm under the understanding that if he didn't have...
  4. Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2 - Core Connection issues

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2 - Core Connection issues: So my controller is becoming unresponsive, at times no form of input gets a response and sometimes just straight up disconnects. Pad is always connected via USB cable, never via Bluetooth. I've...
  5. Xbox app not recognizing my xbox 360 controller (wireless) but I've been playing games with it?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox app not recognizing my xbox 360 controller (wireless) but I've been playing games with it?: My PC is on windows 11. I have my Xbox 360 controller connected via the 'Xbox 360 wireless receiver for windows' the controller works fine for all games, I have just completed the Halo Master...
  6. I sent my xbox x controller for repair and included the wireless usd connector with it,...

in XBoX on Windows
    I sent my xbox x controller for repair and included the wireless usd connector with it,...: My microsoft return order number is 2023912676 and serial number is 02710125334239, while shipping it back to the warehouse for repair I included the wireless connector with it, will I get it back...
  7. Trouble updating my Xbox One Wireless Controller firmware.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Trouble updating my Xbox One Wireless Controller firmware.: I am attempting to update my Xbox One Wireless Controller to then connect it via Bluetooth to my PC since it is currently not appearing, however I have used 5+ micro-USB cables and one which I...
  8. Xbox Wireless Controller – 20th Anniversary Special Edition for Xbox Series X|S bricked...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Wireless Controller – 20th Anniversary Special Edition for Xbox Series X|S bricked...: I have a Xbox Wireless Controller – 20th Anniversary Special Edition for Xbox Series X|S. I'm using the controller on my PC with Windows 11.The controller was working fine via bluetooth. I...
  9. Xbox Wireless Controller issues with wireless headset (Windows 10)

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Wireless Controller issues with wireless headset (Windows 10): So I just bought an Xbox Wireless Controller and a wireless adapter, since my PC does not support Bluetooth. Whenever I am using it without my headset, everything is fine, but as soon as I turn on...
  10. Cannot get Xbox wireless controller to pair using the USB dongle

in XBoX on Consoles
    Cannot get Xbox wireless controller to pair using the USB dongle: I recently replaced the mainboard on my controller due to stick drift. Now, I can't get the stupid thing to reconnect to my computer. The USB dongle's light is currently solid white (never mind,...