Xbox user revealing players IP addresses in game. How do we report it where something will...

Discus and support Xbox user revealing players IP addresses in game. How do we report it where something will... in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; A user got mad and decided he'd threaten to boot people from the lobby. When he was called on it, he started revealing players' IP addresses and... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by RaZoR burnes, Jul 17, 2021.

1. RaZoR burnes
    RaZoR burnes Guest

Xbox user revealing players IP addresses in game. How do we report it where something will...

A user got mad and decided he'd threaten to boot people from the lobby. When he was called on it, he started revealing players' IP addresses and locations. This is a gross violation of privacy and Microsoft owes its users more protection than this. How do we get them to put a stop to this behavior?

:)

RaZoR burnes, Jul 17, 2021
  2. RaZoR burnes Win User

Xbox user revealing players IP addresses in game. How do we report it where something will actually be done?

Your first sentence makes no sense. "for any enforcement action, there is a dedicated team which is why our team WOULDN'T be able to investigate this"????? You're saying they wouldn't investigate. Also, how, exactly, do we report a person for this infringement? And what does Xbox do about it?
  3. RaZoR burnes Win User

Xbox user revealing players IP addresses in game. How do we report it where something will actually be done?

You don't seem to understand how punctuation works. And I'm not sure how you got the title of Xbox ambassador when you start off with insults. VPNs exist. Xbox routes the internet traffic so that players can connect. Their system could cloak players' IP addresses if they wanted to. Your statement that "your IP address must be visible to all or you do NOT connect to the internet" is FALSE. VPN's routinely fake your IP address so you can connect anonymously. It's basic AF privacy protection and it's the least Xbox could/should do on behalf of its customers.

And I made it clear that the threat happened in game....which Xbox facilitates...so it is still a breach of their TOS. Unless you want to show me the part where the TOS says it's ok to threaten other players so long as they don't do it through Xbox messenger.

Oh wait, NOW I see why you're an Xbox ambassador. You're really good at saying "not our problem" on behalf of Xbox. Luckily the folks at Microsoft that I spoke with over the phone were much more helpful. Save your insults and brush-offs for someone else.
  4. Farscape247 Win User

the majority of games you play over live are actually on third party servers which are not controlled or paid for by microsoft. your IP is only masked if you are on dedicated servers that has that option enabled.

even party chat on xbox still uses direct connections and not server based (they are in the process of changing the party system to server based to mask ip's)

its all good having a vpn but that can still be taken down via ddos also. (also vpn's can add latency and can actually get you banned in some games if you are appearing in another region that is not your own.

ip addresses are public and anybody can freely view them, its what they choose to do with them that becomes illegal, when that happens report to your ISP.
  5. Nursemorph Win User

Your first sentence makes no sense. "for any enforcement action, there is a dedicated team which is why our team WOULDN'T be able to investigate this"????? You're saying they wouldn't investigate. Also, how, exactly, do we report a person for this infringement? And what does Xbox do about it?
    What they were saying is that there is a separate Enforcement Team whose sole focus is investigating offenses and taking action....when they said the team wouldn't investigate, the reference was to the Support Team. Enforcement is a completely separate department and has no overlap with Customer Service...they have no input into it nor can they look up details about it.

The issue here is, whilst you may be connected via Xbox Live, if the offense is taking place within a game, then it would be the game developer that needs to take enforcement action. If the offender is revealing IP addresses in an Xbox Party chat or sending messages within XBL, then you can use the report button and they will investigate and take appropriate action.

This is kind of a grey area...MS could argue it's the game developer's domain as it's in-game; the developer could say it's MS as players connect via XBL.

Just for information: Xbox Ambassadors, despite the name, are not part of Microsoft nor do they represent MS's views etc. They are fellow gamers etc
  6. ngocphi Win User

You dont you don't seem to understand how the internet works

You connect to the internet then to xbox live then to other players

Your IP must.be visible.to.all or you do NOT connect to the internet

Also because it's going thru the internet you have to report it to your ISP which is their jurisdication

any threatening msgs can be reported via xbox but only that what occurs over live

Ddos doesnt go thru live or xbox network would go down and you would be able to access the net since the xbox server is down but not internet

Since the attack is from the atttacker to you xbox doesn't see it

Only your isp would see it and you have to report it there

And it's a simple firewall change
Thema:

1. Xbox user revealing players IP addresses in game. How do we report it where something will... - Similar Threads - user revealing players

2. Can you guys vacate an inactive user for me?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Can you guys vacate an inactive user for me?: Hi, I have a few questions regarding about your inactive policy rule for Xbox usernames. I was wondering if you could vacate the user name y66 since it hasn’t been active for 5 years. Get back to...
  3. How Can I become an alpha ring user

in XboX Insiders
    How Can I become an alpha ring user: Hey, I've been using the insider program for more than 1 year. I'm a beta user and I would like to become an alpha one. I'm level 8. Will I become alpha one day ? submitted by /u/Lukas_Smash...
  4. Microsoft support broken for all users major problem

in XBoX on Windows
    Microsoft support broken for all users major problem: Hi everyone am I going mad or is all support options gone completely been a customer for over 10+ years never seen this kind of service can't get my money back for broken content options there for...
  5. Xbox app broken on Windows 11, folder permission issue with no way for user to resolve,...

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox app broken on Windows 11, folder permission issue with no way for user to resolve,...: I had an old installation of windows on this computer. I recently reinstalled windows. The folders on the old drive have some permissions issue. I have my new windows setup and working find on...
  6. Minecraft max numbers of same user inside of game.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Minecraft max numbers of same user inside of game.: I purchased the Bedrock version of Minecraft but am not able to join the local server with the other 2 ios purchased software. It worked with 2 of the same user but not 3. Well technically it...
  7. Ai controlled user input

in XBoX on Consoles
    Ai controlled user input: Since 2015 ive got no issues playing any games except sport games. I tried everthing but their is no body came up with the conclusion. The ai controlling my user input players are all over the...
  8. Looking for pdf user manual for Kinect V2

in XBoX on Consoles
    Looking for pdf user manual for Kinect V2: Hi, I would need to download the pdf version of the user manual of Kinect V2, but it looks like it's missing from the Microsoft website. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks /D...
  9. Urgent help needed. I sold my Xbox one and the new user can't get on

in XboX Insiders
    Urgent help needed. I sold my Xbox one and the new user can't get on: I sold my Xbox one today because I have an Xbox one x. I factory reset it but before I did I had to sign in to Microsoft and make it my "home" Xbox. I thought the factory reset would take that...
  10. extremely high ram usage from dvr and broadcast user service

in XBoX on Windows
    extremely high ram usage from dvr and broadcast user service: the only thing i have on my pc that is currently open is google, yet gamedvr and broadcast user service has around 3 gb of memory being used up for no reason. ive disabled "remember this is a...