Xbox Series X - Reversed surround audio - Front coming from rears

Discus and support Xbox Series X - Reversed surround audio - Front coming from rears in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hey folks, My xbox series x 7.1 uncompressed audio constantly flips, front to back. Details: - Frequently when powering the xbox up from standby... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by JoshForceOne, Mar 13, 2024.

  1. JoshForceOne
    JoshForceOne Guest

    Xbox Series X - Reversed surround audio - Front coming from rears


    Hey folks,

    My xbox series x 7.1 uncompressed audio constantly flips, front to back.

    Details:

    - Frequently when powering the xbox up from standby and/or returning to a game from another app my audio/soundstage is reversed, front to back. Although I have no center rear channel all L/C/R audio is coming from the 2 rear speakers/channels and only rear audio from the front L/C/R channels.
    - Entering settings, switching to stereo and then back to 7.1 resolves the issue (temporarily)

    - This issue did not exist initially for ~3 years prior with the same config: SeriesX-->LG TV-->shARC-->X4400H AVR

    Settings
    Xbox Series X: 7.1 uncompressed

    LG GX Output: eARC + passthrough (both bitstream and multi-channel PCM supported on all inputs)

    ThenAudio shARC: eARC extractor to regular AMP HDMI input (by far the best and most compatible HDMI audio extractor to date)

    Denon X4400H: Regular HDMI input (although the amp supports eARC the shARC corrects many inter-vendor anomalies)

    All my cables are passive 48Gbps [with ethernet] and everything is relatively short distance (2x 8ft cables, 1x5ft)

    I gave up on Atmos years ago due to brutal lag and brutal customer support from MS and have been using uncompressed multi-channel audio since. I don't believe the same problem exists with bitstream but 7.1 bitstream is unusable regardless.

    :)
     
    JoshForceOne, Mar 13, 2024
    #1
  2. kyle_m4496 Win User

    Xbox Series X - Reversed surround audio - Front coming from rears

    Hi JoshForceOne. My name is Kyle and I'm an independent advisor.

    Does this issue happen with other devices? For example if you use the media apps built in to your LG TV does the audio flip?
  3. SwordofWhedon Win User

    Xbox Series X - Reversed surround audio - Front coming from rears

    my first suggestion would be the SHARC device, why are you using this?

    It's something in the chain that probably would not have been tested.

    If you wish to test I recommend for removing that from your chain and going directly into the receiver
  4. psb962 Win User

    Problems with 5.1 and Xbox One

    Hi, as this thread is just a few days old I'll join with same issue. I have a new Xbox One X and noticed that sounds supposed to be coming just from rear surrounds are also coming out the fronts.

    My set up is Xbox -> optical -> Denon receiver -> 5 speakers. Xbox set to TV audio off, Bitstream, and Dolby Digital (DTS has same issue as DD)

    To test the system I first used the receivers own test tones to prove the speakers were wired correctly - they are.

    Then, I used a DVD player which is connected to my receiver by optical. I used the 'Digital Video Essentials' test DVD to play the pink noise test tones from each speaker in turn - the tones from the DVD player also played to the correct speaker
    - so the receiver is decoding DD and DTS correctly.

    Finally, I put same DVD in the Bluray player in the One X and played same tones. Result: what a mess - every tone that should be coming out a rear surround is also coming out the respective front speaker, with the net result that sounds are never
    behind you. It seems that the DD or DTS encoding in the One X is being done incorrectly.

    For those using One X with 5.1 over optical, a simple check is to find a point source emitting a noise in any game, then turn so you are looking 180 degrees away from the noise. The noise should then be coming out your rear surround ONLY. It isn't.

    @ Mister Kellogg - is there a definitive surround sound test app or some other tool that I can download to resolve this problem under your instruction?
  5. WillyBurz Win User

    7.1 uncompressed will not use the side surrounds when watching tv! Please fix with an update.

    This has been a problem since the Ones release and not been fixed. Richie...ugh, Yes most are in 5.1, Sooooo the One should either matrix the rears, or duplicate the rears with the l/r surrounds. There should be sound coming out of the main surrounds,
    NOT just the rear surrounds. For example- 5.1 should be coming out of the main surrounds, and matrixed to the rear surrounds, OR just duplicate the main surrounds to the rear surrounds as well in a 7.1 setup. Right now, all 5.1 from a directv receiver that
    sends dolby is silent on the main surrounds, and only using the rear surrounds in a 7.1 setup. Ps. My system is setup correctly, so no bs checking setup posts, etc. Something is off on the coding, and needs to be fixed.
  6. strykerzr350 Win User

    No 5.1 surround sound during Watch Dogs

    Problem solved. I swapped over the sound settings to "bitstream out" and changed the signal to DTS Surround Sound. Now I have sound coming out of my rear speakers. Watch Dogs has a very weak rear audio track.
Thema:

Xbox Series X - Reversed surround audio - Front coming from rears

Loading...
  1. Xbox Series X - Reversed surround audio - Front coming from rears - Similar Threads - Series Reversed surround

  2. How safe are Insider builds on Series X?

    in XboX Insiders
    How safe are Insider builds on Series X?: Xbox has been killing it lately with new features and I'd kinda like to get in on the action a little earlier. They warn before downloading that the builds can be buggy but how impactful to the...
  3. X Box series X randomly started not working

    in XboX Insiders
    X Box series X randomly started not working: No matter what controller it will not allow me to go down or select other things. Every time it just jumps back up to the top and will not let me delete games or just start anything. Have tried...
  4. Elite Series 2 controller connectivity problem on Series X

    in XboX Insiders
    Elite Series 2 controller connectivity problem on Series X: The day before yesterday, I joined the insider program and I have had an elite series 2 xbox controller for the past 2 years and I never had a problem with it. Yesterday I was playing siege in My...
  5. Has anyone tried Nativra? Running Windows PC games natively on Xbox Series X

    in XboX Insiders
    Has anyone tried Nativra? Running Windows PC games natively on Xbox Series X: I came across this open-source project on GitHub called Nativra. It’s an experimental Xbox Dev Mode app that attempts to run Windows PC games directly on Xbox Series X|S, without streaming or...
  6. Xbox series X disc to digital issues

    in XboX Insiders
    Xbox series X disc to digital issues: Howdy all! I have been an insider for about 10 years now and just found this subreddit today! I am trying to do the disc to digital and it’s not giving me the option. I am updated to latest and...
  7. Disc to Digital Game Issue - Batman Telltale Series

    in XboX Insiders
    Disc to Digital Game Issue - Batman Telltale Series: I have reported the issue through the console, but I claimed a digital license to Batman The Telltale Series with the Season Pass Disc, and it gives me the season pass, but not each individual...
  8. Xbox series s keeps kicking me off of my internet While playing

    in XboX Insiders
    Xbox series s keeps kicking me off of my internet While playing: as title says, this is the only device that does it, ps5 switch, pc none lag ever, it’s just this xbox pos, i tried switching the dns in advanced but it just keeps logging out once every 1-2 hours...
  9. How do i undo firmware reversion for the elite series 2 controller?

    in XBoX on Consoles
    How do i undo firmware reversion for the elite series 2 controller?: My controller would not update so I found an article online saying to revert the firmware if there are issues after the previous update so I did that and after that it says firmware is reverted to...
  10. Headphone audio reversed on XBox Series S

    in XBoX on Consoles
    Headphone audio reversed on XBox Series S: I own Steelseries Arctis 5 wired headphones, which work perfectly well with my Windows PC. I recently bought a new XBox Series S, and played a few games. I wasn't aware there was a problem until I...