Xbox Series X randomly shuts off during gameplay or when starting up a game

Discus and support Xbox Series X randomly shuts off during gameplay or when starting up a game in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I've noticed a lot of people have had similar issues with their Series X crashing during gaming. Whether it's from overheating or not, the system... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by nmescal, Dec 2, 2022.

1. nmescal
    nmescal Guest

I've noticed a lot of people have had similar issues with their Series X crashing during gaming. Whether it's from overheating or not, the system doesn't give you an error message when it happens.

This has been happening to mine for about 6 months now (unfortunately after the 1 year manufacturer's warranty expired) and I have tried every single troubleshooting step out there, including buying two additional cooling fans that attach to the top and back vents.

Has anyone been able to pinpoint the direct cause for this issue yet?

It seems the only solution I have found on the internet is to send the system into Microsoft for repairs, however they want to charge $299 for out-of-warranty service which is just insane to me!

Please help!

:)

nmescal, Dec 2, 2022
  2. JosefLBohorquez Win User

Hi nmescal

I can suggest you two more things:

A. You can find this a bit strange, but try using a custom DNS address:
    go to Settings > Network > Advanced Settings

Once you’re inside the Advanced Settings menu, go to DNS settings and select Manual from the list of available options.
    When you get to the next screen, enter 8.8.8.8 in the box associated with the Primary DNS and 8.8.4.4 in the Secondary DNS box.

Once the default DNS addresses have been changed, restart your console and see if the issue has been resolved at the next console startup.
    If that doesn't work use 1.1.1.1 as primary and 1.0.0.1 as secondary

B. Perform an offline update for your console. In that way Xbox system will be installed from scratch.
    For this you need a USB and PC to format it and transfer files provided in the link below (with detailed steps and requirements ):

https://support.xbox.com/help/hardware-network/...

If even the offline update doesn’t work the best option is get the console inspected.
    You can try checking authorized repair center available in your city or where original parts are used if you don’t want to use the Microsoft repair service
  3. nmescal Win User

A. Yes, I have tried plugging directly into the wall instead of a power strip.

B. Yes, I had a spare cord that I was able to try it with and still had the issue.

C. Yes, I brought it into work yesterday to try on one of our TV's here and it crashed when loading the Fall Guys game.

D. No, I looked into this yesterday just to assure I wasn't using insider build.
  4. JosefLBohorquez Win User

Hi and thanks for reaching Microsoft Xbox gamer's community.
    My name is Josef.
    I'm an Independent Advisor

Hope you're doing great today despite this Nmescal

I don’t like to give bad news, but everything points to be a hardware issue

But before concluding that please tell me:

A. May I know if you tried connecting the console directly to the power socket ?

B. Did you tried using a different power cord?

C. Did you tried connecting the console in a different room?

D. Are you using an insider build / beta OS in your console?
  5. nmescal Win User

I tried these both individually. I tried the DNS settings first and it crashed during gameplay.

After trying the manual update with a USB, it crashed last night while I had Resident Evil 3 on the pause screen.

The Xbox did seem pretty warm to touch on the sides and on the top and yes, it is in an open area with sufficient room for air to circulate.

Any other thoughts?
  6. Kathy A. Win User

Xbox Series X randomly shuts off during 2k

Hi AndrewHanel,

Thank you again for your immediate response.

Based on the screenshot you have shared with us on section 6A, it explicitly tells us that only if Microsoft determines that the Microsoft Product malfunctioned under Normal use conditions during the warranty period due to a defect in materials or workmanship etc. Now, currently you are communicating through Microsoft Community platform wherein members do not have the capability to determine whether the device has been damaged due to misuse of the user or just malfunctioned due to normal usage — hence section 6.A has not been successfully fulfilled. Because of that, we highly recommend you to submit a bug and allow the Team Xbox to investigate the issue with the game - NBA 2k23. If found out that the game is needs improvement then that would be raised to the right people. Please follow the steps below:

1. Install Report a Problem app from Microsoft Store in your console.
    2. Press and hold the Xbox button, and then select Report a problem and choose Report new problem.
    3. If you’re experiencing an audio or video issue, you can provide additional info and diagnostics to your problem report by selecting Reproduce with advanced diagnostics. Otherwise select Continue with standard diagnostics.

Note If you select Reproduce with advanced diagnostics, continue with the instructions that are found in the section “Report a problem with media tracing.”
    4. Choose the most appropriate category and subcategory from each dropdown. If you’re not sure what to choose, make your best guess.
    5. If you have a screenshot or game clip with your issue, ensure that Include screenshot or Include game clip is selected.
    6. Enter a this title: [Forum NBA2k23 crashing Console shutting-off]
    7. Enter a description of your issue. Consider the following questions when deciding what details to include:
      • What is the problem or unexpected behavior?
      • What steps did you take to encounter the problem?
      • What additional software, hardware, or accessories were you using when you encountered the problem?
      • Were there any specific error codes or messages you saw when you encountered the problem or behavior? If so, what did it say?
    8. Select Submit. It can take several seconds for your problem report to send. The details about the steps can be found on this support article: Provide feedback to Team Xbox | Xbox Support
    EDIT:

Do you mind sharing other games you are having issues with? That way we can isolate whether the console is defective because of how it was being manufactured or else the issue you were experiencing is caused by the bug of the game.

Should you choose not to submit a bug to Team Xbox, then there is not much else we can do. You are more than welcome to send the device in for repairs covered by your warranty.

Regards,

Thema:

1. Xbox Series X randomly shuts off during gameplay or when starting up a game - Similar Threads - Series randomly shuts

2. Xbox series s randomly restarted itself

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox series s randomly restarted itself: I was watching a twitch stream without any heat issues and my Xbox randomly shut off without that sound that it makes when it shuts off then immediately turned back on like i pressed restart. This...
  3. My xbox series x controller disconnects and reconnects on my pc randomly

in XBoX on Consoles
    My xbox series x controller disconnects and reconnects on my pc randomly: Hello, recently I've been having this issue when playing a game where my controller would randomly disconnect and reconnect even in wired on PC, I tried other usb cables, batteries, another pc,...
  4. Series x randomly shutting down

in XBoX on Consoles
    Series x randomly shutting down: Hi all, I have a series x since release and have never had any issues but lately the console shuts off on its own while playing a game. I have had it cleaned by a store that has looked after all...
  5. My Xbox elite series 2 controller will randomly start to disconnect from my Xbox series S

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox elite series 2 controller will randomly start to disconnect from my Xbox series S: My elite series 2 core controller has been working just fine for the past 8 months since I have had it with no issues then today it won’t stay connected to my Xbox, the controller will start to...
  6. Brand New Xbox Series X Randomly Powering Off

in XBoX on Consoles
    Brand New Xbox Series X Randomly Powering Off: I just got a brand new Xbox Series X from Microsoft on February 8th, my console has been acting up and at random times shutting off. I tried to confirm it was the outlet and I tested out different...
  7. Xbox Series X randomly shuts off

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox Series X randomly shuts off: Hello, I see this a lot but I can’t find anything concrete to solving the issue. Recently bought this console in August. Upon playing certain games it would just turn off, controller still on. It...
  8. Xbox Series S Randomly Shuts Down; Gives Overheating Error

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series S Randomly Shuts Down; Gives Overheating Error: Hello, my Series S will consistently shut down after a certain amount of time running a game. At first I thought there was some issue overheating because that was the error message that I received...
  9. Xbox Series X randomly shuts off after 5-10 minutes of gameplay

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox Series X randomly shuts off after 5-10 minutes of gameplay: So, here’s one I haven’t been able to find a solution for… As the title says, my Series X randomly shuts off only after 5-10 minutes of gameplay. Literally. It is in shut down power mode, so...
  10. New Series X randomly keeps shutting off

in XboX Insiders
    New Series X randomly keeps shutting off: Need some help here. Purchased a Series X online this week and received it today. Had no issues while I set it up earlier, and it stayed on for a good hour and a half while downloading a game....