Xbox Series X not allowing me to use External Hard Drive as Capture Location

Discus and support Xbox Series X not allowing me to use External Hard Drive as Capture Location in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hello, i recently reformatted a Xbox Formatted HDD into a NTFS file format so i can use it to capture longer. But my xbox keeps telling me that it is... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Bradyn Franco, Mar 29, 2023.

1. Xbox Series X not allowing me to use External Hard Drive as Capture Location

Hello, i recently reformatted a Xbox Formatted HDD into a NTFS file format so i can use it to capture longer. But my xbox keeps telling me that it is not formatted right, no matter how many times i reformat it. I plug it into my Mac and my Windows PC and both tell me it is formatted to NTFS. What can i do to fix this?

:)

Bradyn Franco, Mar 29, 2023
  2. Bradyn Franco Win User

I checked that and there wasnt a way to remove the other partition
  3. Bradyn Franco Win User

I tried that and the console still didnt want to use it for captures
  4. Ronnieee Win User

Hi there! This is Ronnie, an independent advisor.

Nice to meet you and I hope you are having a great day!

I understand you need help with your external storage problem.

Try formatting this to FAT32 and see if it makes any difference. The problem could already be with the compatibility as well with the console since more of the time, hard drives are preformatted and that is what the console usually accepts. But just make sure to change the format and see if the console would accept it.
  5. Ronnieee Win User

If that is the case then there could already be an issue with the hard drive. Try using a different storage device and see how it works just to check if this has nothing to do with the console though. But this could really be due to the compatibility of the formatted HDD.
  6. Tezzarrific Win User

check in disk manager on the windows pc, some external hdd's have a hidden partition that contains the manufacturer software for the enclosure sometimes i.e backup software, this would need removing and the drive should have one partition only.
Thema:

1. Xbox Series X not allowing me to use External Hard Drive as Capture Location - Similar Threads - Series allowing External

2. How do I get my 8tb seagate game hub to allow me to play Xbox series s/x games?

in XBoX on Consoles
    How do I get my 8tb seagate game hub to allow me to play Xbox series s/x games?: So I recently bought a 8tb game hub for my Xbox series s to add storage, i formatted it and got everything working. But after I spent hours transferring things, it wouldn’t allow me to play my...
  3. why am I not allowed to start games on my series s through my USB hard drive, they charge...

in XBoX on Consoles
    why am I not allowed to start games on my series s through my USB hard drive, they charge...: I got a hard drive in just to test if it would let me install more stuff and it showed 1tb on the storage space thing, I thought it was all set up but apparently I can't play the games by the USB...
  4. Monitor specs which will allow playing Fortnite at 120fps on Xbox series S

in XBoX on Consoles
    Monitor specs which will allow playing Fortnite at 120fps on Xbox series S: Hello. Could anyone tell me what are the specs I should look into when buying a monitor, so that it can be used for playing Fortnite on Xbox series S at 120fps? I have recently acquired a monitor...
  5. The YouTube app on my Series X won't allow certain videos to play. The screen goes black...

in XBoX on Consoles
    The YouTube app on my Series X won't allow certain videos to play. The screen goes black...: The YouTube app on my Series X won't allow certain videos to play. The screen goes black and nothing happens. I can play these videos on my phone, TV and tablet with no problem. I do NOT have...
  6. My profile is not allowed to play on the Xbox network for Xbox series X how can I fix this

in XBoX Games and Apps
    My profile is not allowed to play on the Xbox network for Xbox series X how can I fix this: My profile is not allowed to play on Xbox network Xbox series X how can I fix this 646b01e6-88df-437b-9ab2-e29ae5af7aba
  7. Xbox series s not allowing cloud gaming

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox series s not allowing cloud gaming: I have the xbox ultimate pass and can play the cloud based games no problem on pc, and other devices, however.... I keep getting "Failed to start cloud gaming session, unable to communicate with...
  8. Xbox Series S doesn't allow audio passthrough on Netflix and YouTube app

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series S doesn't allow audio passthrough on Netflix and YouTube app: Hello, When Xbox Series S audio is set to output uncompressed stereo with Passthrough enabled, Netflix and YouTube apps output uncompressed stereo instead of Dolby digital plus such as Disney+ or...
  9. (solved) Xbox series s not allowing me to connect to xbox live or start any game.

in XBoX on Consoles
    (solved) Xbox series s not allowing me to connect to xbox live or start any game.: So today i was about to play something on my Xbox series s and when i selected a game it reset my Xbox and now says i have a wired connection when i don't and now whenever i try to start any game...
  10. Are customers who bought series s consoles last Christmas be allowed to upgrade to the 1tb...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Are customers who bought series s consoles last Christmas be allowed to upgrade to the 1tb...: I bought a new series s last Christmas and have been waiting for the price of the expansion cards to drop. With news of a 1tb series s console coming soon there should be an option to upgrade from...