Xbox Series X: Maximum Capacity of External Storage for media? aka MP4

Discus and support Xbox Series X: Maximum Capacity of External Storage for media? aka MP4 in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I have an 8 TB Seagate external HD for games and a second 8 TB Seagate external HD for movies(MP4). However, the Series X (and XBox one) can only read... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by FrankTabarez, Nov 29, 2021.

  1. FrankTabarez
    FrankTabarez Guest

    Xbox Series X: Maximum Capacity of External Storage for media? aka MP4


    I have an 8 TB Seagate external HD for games and a second 8 TB Seagate external HD for movies(MP4). However, the Series X (and XBox one) can only read about 2 TB of movies. The Series X will see folders but not the media in them. I've tried media in folders as well as no folders. 2 TB seems to be the max, why? I have almost 7 TB of games that are readable on the game drive that is accessible but not the media drive.

    :)
     
    FrankTabarez, Nov 29, 2021
    #1
  2. ngocphi Win User

    Xbox Series X: Maximum Capacity of External Storage for media? aka MP4

    Umm you do know why right ?

    Its not the xbox

    It's how you setup yoir drive

    To.setup.for most.consoles you must use the universal standard basic format

    Are you forgetting the limit ?

    In order to.Usr any drive in any console you MUST format to FAT32 for media and the limitation of that I'd 1.86tb after math aka formated as 2tb

    In order to use drives bigger then that you need exfat which no console recognizes its a Linux thing or ntfs which xbox supports

    Sony formats drives into its own format and cant be transfered between console it will ask to format if you try
  3. Christopher Revoredo Win User

    Xbox Series X: Maximum Capacity of External Storage for media? aka MP4

    Hi there Frank welcome to the community forum! Christopher here, an Xbox fan just like you and has been on Xbox for years already. I would really love to make your day by helping you out. Had the same issue in the past so I stopped watching movies on my console, it seems this is due to some issues with the Internal Memory.
  4. Sp33dyKat Win User

    Xbox Series X: Maximum Quantity and Capacity of External Storage?

    Well, the original 1TB internal drive is, of course, connected inside the console in it's original state.

    The 8TB and 12TB external drives I added by plugging them directly into the back of the Series X console.

    I actually also have a USB thumbdrive connected to the console via a USB hub. The thumbdrive is only used for wallpaper images, though...never for games, so speed isn't an issue with regards to the hub.
  5. Sp33dyKat Win User

    Xbox Series X: Maximum Quantity and Capacity of External Storage?

    I just wanted to post a follow-up, as I've had a chance to experiment a bit since my original inquiry.

    I am now successfully using the following 3 drives on my Xbox Series X:

    1) 1TB original internal drive

    2) 8TB Seagate external drive (model STDT8000100)

    3) 12TB Western Digital D10 Black external drive (model WDBA5E0120HBK-NESN)

    Hope this is helpful for anyone considering adding external drives to their XSX set-up.
  6. Farscape247 Win User

    Xbox Series X: Maximum Quantity and Capacity of External Storage?

    1. 2 USB 3.0 Drives.

    2. 8TB per drive.

    3. upto 16TB of external storage across 2 drives.

    I used to use 8TB for xbox games and 4TB for the 360 games.

    this has not changed on the series i believe as they are using the same software.
Thema:

Xbox Series X: Maximum Capacity of External Storage for media? aka MP4

Loading...
  1. Xbox Series X: Maximum Capacity of External Storage for media? aka MP4 - Similar Threads - Series Maximum Capacity

  2. Xbox series Bug trophy mythic help me

    in XboX Insiders
    Xbox series Bug trophy mythic help me: Hello, I'm having a problem with the Mythic achievement. I'm an Insider Beta member, and my Mythic achievement is stuck at 48/50, while the normal achievement is at 50/50. I've tried restarting...
  3. Halo servers not working on Xbox series X

    in XboX Insiders
    Halo servers not working on Xbox series X: Has anybody had a problem for those that play a game like Halo 5: Guardians, where every time I boot up the game it freezes on the part where it shows the 343 Industries logo, then it would fully...
  4. Xbox series s disconnecting from xbox live randomly

    in XboX Insiders
    Xbox series s disconnecting from xbox live randomly: Wired or wireless doesn't matter, console disconnects for a couple seconds then reconnect and is fine for a few hours I've tried everything, changing what port im on clearing mac address,...
  5. Gears of war E day - "Vrr not detected" (Xbox Series X)

    in XboX Insiders
    Gears of war E day - "Vrr not detected" (Xbox Series X): In Gears of War: E-Day, the game itself says “VRR not detected.” My PS5, using the same HDMI cable, TV, and Xbox Series X (in the graphics settings), all say that VRR is enabled. I’ve tried...
  6. Xbox Series X Booted into Initial Setup after going to sleep.

    in XboX Insiders
    Xbox Series X Booted into Initial Setup after going to sleep.: I am in Preview Delta. Earlier today I had to leave a game unexpectedly and the console timed out and went to sleep as it should. When I turned it on just now, I got a surprisingly long boot...
  7. How safe are Insider builds on Series X?

    in XboX Insiders
    How safe are Insider builds on Series X?: Xbox has been killing it lately with new features and I'd kinda like to get in on the action a little earlier. They warn before downloading that the builds can be buggy but how impactful to the...
  8. X Box series X randomly started not working

    in XboX Insiders
    X Box series X randomly started not working: No matter what controller it will not allow me to go down or select other things. Every time it just jumps back up to the top and will not let me delete games or just start anything. Have tried...
  9. Elite Series 2 controller connectivity problem on Series X

    in XboX Insiders
    Elite Series 2 controller connectivity problem on Series X: The day before yesterday, I joined the insider program and I have had an elite series 2 xbox controller for the past 2 years and I never had a problem with it. Yesterday I was playing siege in My...
  10. Has anyone tried Nativra? Running Windows PC games natively on Xbox Series X

    in XboX Insiders
    Has anyone tried Nativra? Running Windows PC games natively on Xbox Series X: I came across this open-source project on GitHub called Nativra. It’s an experimental Xbox Dev Mode app that attempts to run Windows PC games directly on Xbox Series X|S, without streaming or...