Xbox Series X - Mandatory update stalls, losing both Wi-Fi & Ethernet connection

Discus and support Xbox Series X - Mandatory update stalls, losing both Wi-Fi & Ethernet connection in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hello, Experiencing a problem with a mandatory update of the Xbox series x software. On start up the update is prompted, update screen displays but... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Rob H UK, Mar 1, 2023.

  1. Rob H UK
    Rob H UK Guest

    Xbox Series X - Mandatory update stalls, losing both Wi-Fi & Ethernet connection


    Hello,

    Experiencing a problem with a mandatory update of the Xbox series x software.

    On start up the update is prompted, update screen displays but it stalls, showing an error that no internet connection available. I reconnected to the Wi-Fi, the update kicked in and it stalled again. I I then reset the router and unplugged the device for several minutes, Still the issue continued,.

    I checked on this forum and found a similar problem, following the instructions: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/all/series-x-keeps-disconnecting-from-wireless/73d46527-9b1c-44b2-b34a-8596dd41b0f3

    I cleared the local storage and restarted. I cleared the MAC address, as suggested either worked.

    I then decided to move forward and reset the Xbox keeping my games and apps. The system reset and commenced the setup process. Connecting a Ethernet cable at this point I used the Xbox app on my phone and went through the setup process. Everything seem fine until arriving at the update screen when the issue reappeared.

    The device is now stuck in setup, am unable to access the devices setup options and in a update, connect to the internet, drop the connection, try to update again loop.

    First error code: 0x80072F78 and now it’s show 0x8B0500B6

    Help the the last error code: https://support.xbox.com/en-GB/help/errors/error-code-0x8B0500B6#

    Suggestion preforming an offline update, but I’ll need to purchase a memory stick to do this and again the help states that internet access will be required.

    The device is not even 2 years old but seems never destined to work again.

    Any advice appreciated.

    :)
     
    Rob H UK, Mar 1, 2023
    #1
  2. Rostom L Win User

    Xbox Series X - Mandatory update stalls, losing both Wi-Fi & Ethernet connection

    Hi Rob!

    Sorry to hear about the issue. There are several factors to consider why we're getting that issue in particular. Since resetting the console didn't work, my recommendation here aside from performing an offline system update is to try a different network connection. You could try your mobile data hotspot. You could use an open encryption Wi-Fi with no password and see if it helps.

    In case it didn't help, I am afraid we really have to go through the offline system update manually.
  3. calasp aspinall Win User

    Xbox series s unplayable due to lagging

    If that worked would that prove that the Wi-Fi receiver in the Xbox is at fault ?

    As my Xbox series x and Xbox one connect and play perfectly online via the same Wi-Fi
  4. Lumie Helps Win User

    Wifi connection.

    Hi there Brandon M.

    I am Lumie and I would love to assist you today.

    I am so sorry you are having issues with your Xbox Series X wifi.

    Ensure that you are entering the correct Wi-Fi password. Wi-Fi passwords are case-sensitive, so make sure you are using the right combination of upper and lower case letters, numbers, and special characters.

    Try using an ethernet connection. These can usually bypass the need for a password. It is also a stronger connection if you can.

    Try connecting another device to the same Wi-Fi network using the same password to confirm that the password is indeed correct.

    Reboot Devices
    Power down your Xbox Series X, wait for a few minutes, and then turn it back on.
    Unplug your router from the power source, wait for 10-30 seconds, then plug it back in. Wait for it to fully restart and then try connecting your Xbox again.

    Network Settings and Configuration
    Go to Settings > General > Network settings > Advanced settings, then select "Alternate MAC address" and choose "Clear." This will reset the network settings and might resolve the issue.
    Ensure your Xbox is trying to connect to a compatible Wi-Fi band. The Xbox Series X supports both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands, but your router’s settings might favor one band over the other. Try switching between these bands on your router or connect to a different network if available.

    Wi-Fi Signal Strength

    Ensure your Xbox is close enough to the Wi-Fi router to receive a strong signal. Walls and other obstacles can weaken the Wi-Fi signal.
    Other electronic devices or dense materials can interfere with Wi-Fi signals. Try moving the Xbox and router to a different location, away from potential sources of interference like microwaves or cordless phones.

    Firmware and Software Updates
    Log in to your router’s admin panel and check for any firmware updates. Outdated firmware can sometimes cause connectivity issues.
    If possible, connect your Xbox to the internet via a wired connection and check for any system updates.

    Change Wi-Fi Security Settings
    Ensure that your Wi-Fi is using a supported security protocol like WPA2. Older protocols like WEP might cause issues with modern devices.
    Some routers use MAC filtering to restrict which devices can connect. Make sure your Xbox's MAC address is allowed on the network.

    I hope this helps.

    I shall be here for your response. -Lumie
  5. Emmanuel Santana Win User

    Series X Network adapter fried by power surge?

    Greetings, and welcome to the Xbox Community! Connect with players from around the world, get help when you need it, and share your gaming journey.

    Yeah, a power surge could totally mess up the network adapter in your Xbox Series X. It’s probably fried the Wi-Fi or Ethernet parts inside, which might explain why it’s not connecting properly, even if it can still spot the Wi-Fi signal.

    When you say it “finds” the Wi-Fi but won’t connect, what exactly happens? Does it give you an error, or does it just keep trying and eventually give up?
  6. aaron Aaron1 Win User

    Why can’t I sign in on my xbox series x ?

    None of these options worked, and my Xbox series x does connect to the Wi-Fi, I have a good connection. What’s next ?
Thema:

Xbox Series X - Mandatory update stalls, losing both Wi-Fi & Ethernet connection

Loading...
  1. Xbox Series X - Mandatory update stalls, losing both Wi-Fi & Ethernet connection - Similar Threads - Series Mandatory update

  2. Xbox series Bug trophy mythic help me

    in XboX Insiders
    Xbox series Bug trophy mythic help me: Hello, I'm having a problem with the Mythic achievement. I'm an Insider Beta member, and my Mythic achievement is stuck at 48/50, while the normal achievement is at 50/50. I've tried restarting...
  3. Halo servers not working on Xbox series X

    in XboX Insiders
    Halo servers not working on Xbox series X: Has anybody had a problem for those that play a game like Halo 5: Guardians, where every time I boot up the game it freezes on the part where it shows the 343 Industries logo, then it would fully...
  4. Xbox series s disconnecting from xbox live randomly

    in XboX Insiders
    Xbox series s disconnecting from xbox live randomly: Wired or wireless doesn't matter, console disconnects for a couple seconds then reconnect and is fine for a few hours I've tried everything, changing what port im on clearing mac address,...
  5. Gears of war E day - "Vrr not detected" (Xbox Series X)

    in XboX Insiders
    Gears of war E day - "Vrr not detected" (Xbox Series X): In Gears of War: E-Day, the game itself says “VRR not detected.” My PS5, using the same HDMI cable, TV, and Xbox Series X (in the graphics settings), all say that VRR is enabled. I’ve tried...
  6. Xbox Series X Booted into Initial Setup after going to sleep.

    in XboX Insiders
    Xbox Series X Booted into Initial Setup after going to sleep.: I am in Preview Delta. Earlier today I had to leave a game unexpectedly and the console timed out and went to sleep as it should. When I turned it on just now, I got a surprisingly long boot...
  7. How safe are Insider builds on Series X?

    in XboX Insiders
    How safe are Insider builds on Series X?: Xbox has been killing it lately with new features and I'd kinda like to get in on the action a little earlier. They warn before downloading that the builds can be buggy but how impactful to the...
  8. X Box series X randomly started not working

    in XboX Insiders
    X Box series X randomly started not working: No matter what controller it will not allow me to go down or select other things. Every time it just jumps back up to the top and will not let me delete games or just start anything. Have tried...
  9. Elite Series 2 controller connectivity problem on Series X

    in XboX Insiders
    Elite Series 2 controller connectivity problem on Series X: The day before yesterday, I joined the insider program and I have had an elite series 2 xbox controller for the past 2 years and I never had a problem with it. Yesterday I was playing siege in My...
  10. Has anyone tried Nativra? Running Windows PC games natively on Xbox Series X

    in XboX Insiders
    Has anyone tried Nativra? Running Windows PC games natively on Xbox Series X: I came across this open-source project on GitHub called Nativra. It’s an experimental Xbox Dev Mode app that attempts to run Windows PC games directly on Xbox Series X|S, without streaming or...