Xbox Series X HDMI not supporting 120hz, flashing screen and red lines.

Discus and support Xbox Series X HDMI not supporting 120hz, flashing screen and red lines. in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Alright… I really need some help. I have an XSX, I purchased it on release day and have had it ever since. Obviously with it being that old, my... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by COTTERswag2, Mar 21, 2023.

1. COTTERswag2
    COTTERswag2 Guest

Alright… I really need some help.

I have an XSX, I purchased it on release day and have had it ever since. Obviously with it being that old, my warranty has expired (go figure).

I’ve never had any issues with my Series X. Ever since its release i’ve had no problems whatsoever. Until a month ago. For the past 3 years I have been playing on my Asus 1080p and 60hz monitor. This past month I have been looking for a monitor upgrade to 120hz.

I am currently on monitor #4 and have had the same issue with all of them… making me believe it is definitely an Xbox issue. Every time I change it to 120hz (which my new monitor supports) my screen flickers on and off and I have these red lines that flash on my screen and it eventually shuts down to “No signal”. BUT when I plug it into my old monitor, I have no issues.

I have talked to so many repair places and one guy identified it as a possible HDMI encoder issue. He mentioned it can’t be my HDMI port since I can play on my old monitor but maybe an encoder issue where it won’t let me get the 120hz upgrade.

I don’t want to pay $250 to fix my Xbox, knowing that it might not even fix this issue. I now ask: has anyone else encountered this before? Or, did I get a bad batch at launch?

I apologize for the long post, I really just haven’t been able to find any answers.

:)

COTTERswag2, Mar 21, 2023
  2. SwordofWhedon Win User

Please give us the exact make and model of the monitor

Please be aware that monitors are designed for use with PCs, and often are overclocked and break industry timing standards Xbox requires to work. There is a line of monitors certified to work with Xbox.

Please also be aware that many televisions and monitors advertise that the refresh rate of the panel, which is often 120hz but with electronics that only support 60.
  3. Obsessive Power Win User

4k 120hz issue

Hi,

Do you have the Xbox One, or the Xbox Series S? You'd be surprised how many people get the names confused.

If it's an Xbox One S, then that console doe not support 120Hz @ 4K. Also, the HDMI out on the Xbox One S is HDMI 2.0, not 2.1. Only the Xbox Series S and Series X support 4K @ 120Hz via the console settings. The One S is only 1080P.

Bear in mind also, that there are no games for the Xbox One S that do 120Hz (or 120 fps). The 120Hz option is only there to support VRR (variable refresh rate).

If you want to play 120Hz supported games, you will need a Series X. The Series S support of 120Hz games is a lot more limited.

Note that on the Qn95a, only HDMI 4 supports HDMI 2.1
  4. Obsessive Power Win User

Xbox Series X. 1440p lies.

Without display 1.4 support there is no reason to target 1440p at 120hz. Only screens are able to do this have 4k 120hz with HDMI2.1.
    Hi,

Sorry you feel this way, but that is not true. There are compatibility issues with monitors and the Series X/S sure, but there are some monitors that can do 1440P 120Hz via HDMI 2.0 without issues.

The Five listed here
    from Rtings.com can all support 120Hz @ 1440P over HDMI 2.0.

I have also seen on here that the Samsung G7 can also do 1440P @120Hz effortlessly.

Just because your monitor doesn't work doesn't Microsoft were lying.

Also there is a lot more to the Series X than just a fast SSD. It has a GPU at least twice as fast as the Xbox One X and a CPU 3x faster. The Series X also has Raytracing.
  5. ROBIN H 25 Win User

120hz

for 120hz you need i think hdmi2.1.

besides connecting the s at 120hz is not going to magically let it run at 120fps, you will be lucky to get 40fps on most games. kills my eyes running so slow.
    HDMI 2.1 is only needed if you plan to game at 4K for 120hz , on a 4K 144hz monitor, However there's no gaming monitors available at the moment, that yet has HDMI 2.1, the first HDMI 2.1 monitors that are likely to come in are around the same time as the
    Series X (Q4) launch or early 2021 (Q1),

1080p and some 1440p monitors can do 120hz over HDMI 1.4 if it's supported, but best ideally is HDMI 2.0 for 1440p for 120hz,

HDMI 2.0 can do 1080p / 1440p at 120hz and 4K at 60hz,

HDMI 2.1 can do 1080p / 1440p / 4K at 120hz.

For the Xbox Series X, it best to get a 4K TV or monitor that supports 120hz and has HDMI 2.1, to get the full potential out of the Series X.
  6. Obsessive Power Win User

HDMI Xbox Series S/X

Hi,

There is more than enough bandwidth for 1440P @120Hz with HDR on an HDMI 2.0 Monitor. On the current consoles Microsoft decided to lock HDR to 4K displays, but with the Series S that won't be an issue anymore.

HDMI standards are backwards compatible, so you won't need an HDMI 2.1 compliant Monitor to use Series X or S on an older monitor or TV that only has HDMI 2.0.

Xbox One X and S can be very fussy when it comes to full monitor support. But if you bought a monitor that fully supports the Xbox One X then it should support the same features on a Series X/S.

My advice would be to check reviews of monitors actually running on the current consoles with 120Hz support. There are loads of videos on YouTube. Just looking at the specs on a website may not be enough.
Thema:

1. Xbox Series X HDMI not supporting 120hz, flashing screen and red lines. - Similar Threads - Series HDMI supporting

2. How easily does a hdmi Port break on an xbox series x

in XboX Insiders
    How easily does a hdmi Port break on an xbox series x: I go to my dads on a Thursday and Sunday and take my xbox series X which obviously has a hdmi port, the port has broke twice over the past 2 years because of this because i forgot to take the hdmi...
  3. What’s the best way to connect my series X to my monitor that doesn’t have HDMI?

in XBoX on Consoles
    What’s the best way to connect my series X to my monitor that doesn’t have HDMI?: I recently purchased a Samsung G85SB gaming monitor. Only after being delivered did I realize it doesn’t have an HDMI port only mini DP, a micro hdmi and a type c input. I could buy adapters to...
  4. Will the Xbox Series S do 120Hz at 1080p on HDMI 1.4?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Will the Xbox Series S do 120Hz at 1080p on HDMI 1.4?: I am looking to buy a new monitor. Will the Series S do 1080p at 120Hz on KOORUI MONITOR ONE? If not will KOORUI MONITOR TWO be able to do 1080p at 120Hz. My aim is for 1080p 120hz. KOORUI...
  5. Is this HDMI port repairable (XBOX SERIES X)

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is this HDMI port repairable (XBOX SERIES X): [img] XBOX SERIES X HDMI PORT I know this is a stupid question, and I already know the answer, given the state of the port, but is there any way this console can be fixed without sending it off...
  6. Series X randomly doesn't pass HDMI signal to tv

in XBoX on Consoles
    Series X randomly doesn't pass HDMI signal to tv: This is pretty recent, but sometimes my series x will turn on but not be visible on screen (HDMI isn't working). Sometimes a hard reset makes it come back, but then it thinks my connection is...
  7. Xbox Series S, No controller, No HDMI, powers itself off.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series S, No controller, No HDMI, powers itself off.: I have an Xbox Series S, and recently it began having a severe issue making the console completely unusable. I connect the power cable to the wall, and a good confirmed working HDMI cable to the...
  8. VGA monitor says no signal when connected to xbox series s with hdmi to vga adapter

in XBoX on Consoles
    VGA monitor says no signal when connected to xbox series s with hdmi to vga adapter: Hello, I just got my hmdi to vga adapter to play my xbox series s on my vga monitor but when i turn my xbox on it just says no signal please can someone help me as I'm not sure what to do....
  9. Xbox series X issue. HDMI ARC port is no longer working.

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox series X issue. HDMI ARC port is no longer working.: Hi guys. I have a Onkyo TX NR 828 amp. I have a pen I have a . I have a series X plugged into my amp via HDMI. I have a HDMI cable from my HDMI arc connection on the amp to the . It was working...
  10. My series S come with a 2.1 HDMI cable brought it 6 weeks ago but my tv only supports 50HZ...

in XBoX Accessibility
    My series S come with a 2.1 HDMI cable brought it 6 weeks ago but my tv only supports 50HZ...: My series S come with a 2.1 HDMI cable brought it 6 weeks ago but my tv only supports 50HZ and is full HD 1080. I was looking to fimd out if its worth getting a 4k tv or one that runs 144 on 1440P...