: Xbox Series X HDMI CEC not turning on console when switching to it's source on TV

Discus and support : Xbox Series X HDMI CEC not turning on console when switching to it's source on TV in XBoX TV Hardware to solve the problem; : Xbox Series X HDMI CEC not turning on console when switching to it's source on TV I'm having the same issue with my Series X...it worked just fine on... Discussion in 'XBoX TV Hardware' started by ErikDigital, Nov 12, 2020.

1. ErikDigital
    ErikDigital Guest

: Xbox Series X HDMI CEC not turning on console when switching to it's source on TV

I'm having the same issue with my Series X...it worked just fine on the same TV using my Xbox One X.

:)

ErikDigital, Nov 12, 2020
  2. Ricardo Lechuga Win User

Xbox one won't turn on my insiginia tv when I turn the console on

Hi TexasMaster9351! My name is Ricardo an independent advisor ready to help you with this situation!

HDMI-CEC is supported only on Xbox One X, Xbox Series S, and Xbox Series X. You must also enable HDMI-CEC on your TV.

Xbox Series X|S consoles can use an HDMI feature called Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) to send commands to and from CEC-enabled devices (such as TVs and AVRs) that are connected to the console.

This feature can be turned on and off via the TV & A/V power options settings screen. Press the Xbox button  to open the guide, then go to Profile & system > Settings > General > Sleep mode & startup > TV & A/V power options.
  3. arc115 Win User

I'm having the same issue with my Series X...it worked just fine on the same TV using my Xbox One X.
  4. DarkSch666 Win User

Not auto-switching to HDMI input source

Mine too in all cases but this one, X1 sends turn on command (black fast switch like when you switch source) and then it goes to TV that is the default source. If I turn on the TV using its own remote, it uses the last source. If I turn on the blu-ray player
    it switch to its HDMI input source.

It is the X1 the one not switching to its source and the only one that switchs to TV source if I set the "Turn on TV" HDMI in console options.
  5. Tomm_A Win User

I bought a tv remote for my Xbox and my remote was working fine volume button included but I replaced the battery and it’s still not working but everything else works

Hello Aleira Ewen-Jones,

Thank you for sharing your concern here in Xbox Community Forum and we hope that all is well.

It appears that you are trying to use TV remote for your console and is not working. Let us check on configuration settings of your TV to enable the feature.

First thing we do is to check if your device supports CEC. Xbox Series X|S consoles can use an HDMI feature called Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) to send commands to and from CEC-enabled devices (such as TVs and AVRs) that are connected to the console.

This feature can be turned on and off via the TV & A/V power options settings screen. Press the Xbox button to open the guide, then go to Profile & system > Settings > General > TV & display options > TV & A/V power options.

Once CEC is enabled on your TV or AVR, you can control individual CEC settings on the console’s TV & A/V power options settings screen. Check the HDMI-CEC box to activate CEC.

The following individual CEC settings can be turned on or off by checking or unchecking the box next to each setting:

• Console turns on other devices: Turning on your Xbox console will also turn on your TV or AVR.
    • Console turns off other devices: Turning off your Xbox console will also turn off your TV or AVR.
    • Other devices can turn console on: Turning on your TV or AVR will also turn on your console. Also, switching to the Xbox input on your TV will turn on your console.
    • Other devices can turn console off: Turning off your TV or AVR will also turn off your Xbox console.
    • Console sends volume commands: The console can control the volume on your TV, AVR, or soundbar. To change your volumes after enabling this, press the Xbox button and go to Audio & music.
    • Switch TV input using controller: Pressing the Xbox button on your controller switches your TV input to your Xbox console (this allows you to quickly switch your TV back to console video without using your TV remote).

If you are having trouble controlling a CEC-enabled device through your console, try the following:

• Double-check that your device supports CEC, and that the feature is turned on in your device settings. Also verify that CEC is enabled on the console's TV & A/V power options settings screen.
    • Make sure your device’s firmware is up to date. Check your device documentation to see how to update the firmware on your TV or AVR.
    • Make sure your HDMI cable is plugged into the correct port on your device. Some devices may support CEC only through certain ports. Check your device documentation.
    • If there is another device between your console and your TV, try plugging your console directly into your TV instead. Some devices will “pass-through” CEC commands from your console to your TV, but other devices may interfere with CEC data.
    • Be sure you are using cables certified for HDMI High Speed or HDMI Premium.
    • Try power cycling your device by unplugging it from its power source, waiting for a couple minutes, and then plugging it back in.

For your reference, see: How do I control other devices using HDMI-CEC?

We look forward to your response. Kindly let us know, if there is any misunderstanding or clarifications of our description by sending us a reply.

Sincerely,

Microsoft Community Moderator
  6. Tomm_A Win User

Cec volume commands being sent even when disabled.

Hello dtroz,

Welcome to Xbox Community Forum. Thank you for sharing your concern with us today and we hope that all is well.

May we confirm if you are having issue with Xbox console controlling devices using HDMI-CEC? May we know also if you are using TV or AVR?

We understand how important it is to you. We appreciate if you provide us more details so we can provide more accurate resolution for you.

Xbox Series X|S consoles can use an HDMI feature called Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) to send commands to and from CEC-enabled devices (such as TVs and AVRs) that are connected to the console. This feature can be turned on and off via the TV & A/V power options settings screen. Press the Xbox button to open the guide, then go to Profile & system > Settings > General > TV & display options > TV & A/V power options.

Controlling your device with CEC

Once CEC is enabled on your TV or AVR, you can control individual CEC settings on the console’s TV & A/V power options settings screen. Check the HDMI-CEC box to activate CEC.

The following individual CEC settings can be turned on or off by checking or unchecking the box next to each setting:

• Console turns on other devices: Turning on your Xbox console will also turn on your TV or AVR.
    • Console turns off other devices: Turning off your Xbox console will also turn off your TV or AVR.
    • Other devices can turn console on: Turning on your TV or AVR will also turn on your console. Also, switching to the Xbox input on your TV will turn on your console.
    • Other devices can turn console off: Turning off your TV or AVR will also turn off your Xbox console.
    • Console sends volume commands: The console can control the volume on your TV, AVR, or soundbar. To change your volumes after enabling this, press the Xbox button and go to Audio & music.
    • Use TV remote for console: Your TV remote can navigate your console, play media, and launch apps or games.
    • Switch TV input using controller: Pressing the Xbox button on your controller switches your TV input to your Xbox console (this allows you to quickly switch your TV back to console video without using your TV remote).
    If you are having trouble controlling a CEC-enabled device through your console, try the following:

• Double-check that your device supports CEC, and that the feature is turned on in your device settings. Also verify that CEC is enabled on the console's TV & A/V power options settings screen.
    • Make sure your device’s firmware is up to date. Check your device documentation to see how to update the firmware on your TV or AVR.
    • Make sure your HDMI cable is plugged into the correct port on your device. Some devices may support CEC only through certain ports. Check your device documentation.
    • If there is another device between your console and your TV, try plugging your console directly into your TV instead. Some devices will “pass-through” CEC commands from your console to your TV, but other devices may interfere with CEC data.
    • Be sure you are using cables certified for HDMI High Speed or HDMI Premium.
    • Try power cycling your device by unplugging it from its power source, waiting for a couple minutes, and then plugging it back in.
    You may refer to this link: How do I control other devices using HDMI-CEC? | Xbox Support

We look forward to your response. Kindly let us know, if there is any misunderstanding or clarifications of our description by sending us a reply.

Sincerely,

Xbox Forum Moderator

Microsoft Community
Thema:

1. : Xbox Series X HDMI CEC not turning on console when switching to it's source on TV - Similar Threads - Series HDMI CEC

2. How easily does a hdmi Port break on an xbox series x

in XboX Insiders
    How easily does a hdmi Port break on an xbox series x: I go to my dads on a Thursday and Sunday and take my xbox series X which obviously has a hdmi port, the port has broke twice over the past 2 years because of this because i forgot to take the hdmi...
  3. What’s the best way to connect my series X to my monitor that doesn’t have HDMI?

in XBoX on Consoles
    What’s the best way to connect my series X to my monitor that doesn’t have HDMI?: I recently purchased a Samsung G85SB gaming monitor. Only after being delivered did I realize it doesn’t have an HDMI port only mini DP, a micro hdmi and a type c input. I could buy adapters to...
  4. Will the Xbox Series S do 120Hz at 1080p on HDMI 1.4?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Will the Xbox Series S do 120Hz at 1080p on HDMI 1.4?: I am looking to buy a new monitor. Will the Series S do 1080p at 120Hz on KOORUI MONITOR ONE? If not will KOORUI MONITOR TWO be able to do 1080p at 120Hz. My aim is for 1080p 120hz. KOORUI...
  5. Is this HDMI port repairable (XBOX SERIES X)

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is this HDMI port repairable (XBOX SERIES X): [img] XBOX SERIES X HDMI PORT I know this is a stupid question, and I already know the answer, given the state of the port, but is there any way this console can be fixed without sending it off...
  6. Series X randomly doesn't pass HDMI signal to tv

in XBoX on Consoles
    Series X randomly doesn't pass HDMI signal to tv: This is pretty recent, but sometimes my series x will turn on but not be visible on screen (HDMI isn't working). Sometimes a hard reset makes it come back, but then it thinks my connection is...
  7. Xbox Series S, No controller, No HDMI, powers itself off.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series S, No controller, No HDMI, powers itself off.: I have an Xbox Series S, and recently it began having a severe issue making the console completely unusable. I connect the power cable to the wall, and a good confirmed working HDMI cable to the...
  8. VGA monitor says no signal when connected to xbox series s with hdmi to vga adapter

in XBoX on Consoles
    VGA monitor says no signal when connected to xbox series s with hdmi to vga adapter: Hello, I just got my hmdi to vga adapter to play my xbox series s on my vga monitor but when i turn my xbox on it just says no signal please can someone help me as I'm not sure what to do....
  9. XBox Series X don't control my TV HDMI-CEC

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBox Series X don't control my TV HDMI-CEC: my XBox Series X don't control my TV HDMI-CEC, when I had the XBox One it did control my tv but now I got a XBox Series X it does not control my tv dfd5ce60-54aa-4fb2-9552-f74e76872e1c
  10. Annoying Series S HDMI-CEC issues with input switching..

in XBoX on Consoles
    Annoying Series S HDMI-CEC issues with input switching..: So I have CEC enabled for turning on other devices when I turn the Series S on, so this will turn on my AVR and TV and I'm good to go. I also have it ticked to shutdown Series S when I turn the TV...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. xbox series x hdmi cec not turning on tv

2. xbox series x hdmi cec not working