XBOX Series X Fan has been loud since external SSD drive purchase

Discus and support XBOX Series X Fan has been loud since external SSD drive purchase in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; My XBOX Series X Fan has been loud since external SSD drive purchase, a couple of weeks ago. I'm still running tests to see if it's the same games or... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by StaterBomb, Oct 25, 2022.

1. StaterBomb
    StaterBomb Guest

My XBOX Series X Fan has been loud since external SSD drive purchase, a couple of weeks ago. I'm still running tests to see if it's the same games or not. However just today was playing BF2024 and it started being loud...and this game is installed on the internal drive, not the new external SSD.

The XBOX is on the floor but has plenty of breathing room, and obviously hasn't been making this sound before. The SSD is plugged into the front USB, BTW, but that shouldn't matter - right?

Thanks everyone

:)

StaterBomb, Oct 25, 2022
  2. ROBIN H 25 Win User

Pre download Xbox Series X games

Not really...

Xbox Series X games / upgrades / updates has to be installed onto the Series X internal or expansion card SSD,

You can have Xbox One games on your external hard drive that will get an Series X upgrade but the games will need to be transferred to the Series X and then the Series X upgrade will need to be downloaded onto the Series X SSD,

As an example...

I have Marvel Avengers on my external hard drive that will get the Series X upgrade and I will transfer the game over to the Series X SSD ready to download and update the game to the Series X version when available.
  3. Smwutches Win User

Why does my friend have to copy a game from his external to his internal hard drive?

If he has a Series S/X and is trying to play a Series S/X optimized game, it will only run on the internal drive or on an expansion card made for the Series S/X. It won't run on a regular external hard drive or SSD.
  4. Obsessive Power Win User

Choosing a hardrrive

Fair enough, a slow internet connection is as good excuse as any.

Be aware however that while that drive will work on Series X, you won't be able to play Series X games directly from it. Series X games will require faster access and read speeds. My understanding is that the Series X games can be 'backed up' on an external
    drive and then need to copied/moved over to either the internal SSD or the External SSD's that will be available for the machine.

The Series X will read and play Xbox One games from an external drive though.
  5. ACHV HighBounce Win User

Will the Xbox Series X be able to use my external SSD

This has been covered and been mentioned as it has been a big concern. Right now, yes you can use your external SSD to play Xbox One and Xbox 360 games but you will not be able to play stored SX games on the external SSD. To be able to able to play SX
    games they need to installed on the Series X's SSD not the external one.
  6. John P_14 Win User

Xbox Series X - BC Related Query

Hi and thanks for reaching out. I hope you’re doing well. I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user like you and I'll be happy to help you.

Yes, backwards compatible games will receive some benefits when played on an Xbox Series XIS, regardless of whether they are installed on the internal SSD or an external hard drive. These benefits may include improved frame rates, shorter load times, and higher resolutions, depending on the specific game and the capabilities of the Xbox Series X.

In general, games that are installed on the internal SSD will likely have faster load times and more consistent performance compared to games installed on an external hard drive, since the internal SSD has faster read and write speeds. However, games installed on an external hard drive will still be able to take advantage of the improved hardware and other features of the Xbox Series X.
Thema:

1. XBOX Series X Fan has been loud since external SSD drive purchase - Similar Threads - Series Fan has

2. Xbox series x fan stops spinning when Xbox series x is put to sleep or shutdown mode

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series x fan stops spinning when Xbox series x is put to sleep or shutdown mode: My Xbox series x when I put it in sleep mode or shutdown mode the fan spins for a while and then stops is this normal 081e39ab-0e46-43e1-b854-f1b5840cf204
  3. Xbox Series X fan on while Xbox series x is in shutdown mode and it updates or loads a game??

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X fan on while Xbox series x is in shutdown mode and it updates or loads a game??: I have an Xbox Series X and I noticed when I put it in Shutdown Mode to load games in the background or updates, the fan spins, but slower, then after the download or updates finishes, the fan...
  4. when i turn on my ups in xbox series x the fans starts moving for some seconds but my xbox...

in XBoX on Windows
    when i turn on my ups in xbox series x the fans starts moving for some seconds but my xbox...: when i turn on my ups in xbox series x the fans starts moving for few seconds but my xbox power is still off? 7e37215c-275b-493b-8610-7066d7a7bb0b
  5. Xbox series x fan stopped spinning.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series x fan stopped spinning.: I've done everything on here to fix it and the only thing that might work is taking it apart to help clear the dust from the fan. Is there anyway to send the Box back even after warranty. This...
  6. Is it normal for series x fan to stutter when turning on console?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is it normal for series x fan to stutter when turning on console?: Hey I have recently gotten a new series x console and have really been enjoying my time with it, but I notice when I turn on the console my fan will stutter for a second before going to a stable...
  7. Xbox series s fan question

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox series s fan question: Hi, I have an Xbox series s. I can hear a small clicking noise coming from the fan, but I only hear it when I get close. Here a YouTube clip of the sound....
  8. The fan on my xbox series x used to make a noise but now it doesn’t.

in XBoX on Windows
    The fan on my xbox series x used to make a noise but now it doesn’t.: The fan on my xbox series x used to make a noise when I'm playing a game, but a month ago I opened the back of the console and I unscrewed the fan to get it out so I could clean it, there was...
  9. Fan turned off during sleep mode on series x

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Fan turned off during sleep mode on series x: Hi all, Not sure if I'm being paranoid or if this is a legitimate concern. Last night I turned off my series x and left it in sleep mode. The fan was on still which I presumed is normal. Then...
  10. Has anyone else’s series x fan stopped working?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Has anyone else’s series x fan stopped working?: Have a series x. The fan stopped working, replaced it and out new thermal paste on but the new fan will not spin, my x overheats and sends me to the Home Screen. Don’t see any burn marks on the...