Xbox Series X controller freezing randomly (PC)

Discus and support Xbox Series X controller freezing randomly (PC) in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; Controller stays on but disconnects and "freezes" as seen in this article:... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by Axzo, Aug 1, 2021.

1. Axzo
    Axzo Guest

Controller stays on but disconnects and "freezes" as seen in this article: https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/5/22215289/microsoft-xbox-series-x-controller-disconnect-update . This has never happened on my Xbox One controllers, just the series X controller. I've tried several cables, and pcs. Updated drivers, firmware, windows, and even tried using older drivers which did not help at all. There has been absolutely no damage done to the controller, and it happens in every game too.

I've read tons of threads on the forums for fixes, but I'm pretty sure it's the hardware or the firmware. Also is there literally NO WAY to roll back the firmware version shown in the Xbox Accessories app? I'm currently at 5.7.2688.0 and for the life of me cannot find out how to revert to an older version. The only option is to update, which there is "No update available". Anyone have any issues similar and know a solution? Or is the controller itself just defective? (I'm on PC btw)

:)

Axzo, Aug 1, 2021
  2. MateusFontana Win User

Could you tell me if you have any other controllers, to test them and see if the problem persists?
  3. MateusFontana Win User

Is your windows updated to version 21H1?
  4. MateusFontana Win User

Yes, unfortunately, it wouldn't be fixed anyway, as apparently, this is a problem with the controller's firmware. I recommend that you always keep your windows up to date so that new problems don't happen.

*I hope your problem is resolved in the next few days.
  5. Axzo Win User

Not at the moment, all I know is that updating through Xbox Accessories had to be the problem. Reading the reviews for it on MS store, there are plenty of 1 star reviews because they say it bricks controllers. Problem didn't occur before the update, and the Xbox One controllers I had in 2020 didn't have this issue either.
  6. Axzo Win User

Is there any way to rollback the firmware on the actual controller without a console? I believe the actual firmware on the controller is corrupted, as I tried everything I could in terms of software. The Xbox Accessories app only has an option to update, which there is no update available. Can't get it repaired because even though the controller is pretty new, the warranty expired.
Thema:

1. Xbox Series X controller freezing randomly (PC) - Similar Threads - Series controller freezing

2. Headset microphone doesn't work when connected to a XBox Series X controller - Windows 11

in XBoX on Consoles
    Headset microphone doesn't work when connected to a XBox Series X controller - Windows 11: I've recently upgraded to Windows 11 and now when I connect my Headset to my Xbox Series X controller the microphone no longer works. I did the same as I did on Windows 10. I connected the USB C...
  3. Problems with right joystick on elite series 2 controller

in XBoX on Consoles
    Problems with right joystick on elite series 2 controller: Pressing the right joy stick down turns the controller off and the controller will not turn back on until it is plugged in, controller does not register up or down movement on the right joystick...
  4. When sending in my custom Elite Controller Series 2 for replacement, will I receive an...

in XBoX on Consoles
    When sending in my custom Elite Controller Series 2 for replacement, will I receive an...: A little less than a year ago I purchased a custom Elite Controller Series 2 from Xbox Design Lab, complete with a custom engraving. When I contacted Xbox Support, the person on the phone ensured...
  5. Is there a bug or defect with the xbox series usb ports and wired controllers?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is there a bug or defect with the xbox series usb ports and wired controllers?: My Xbox S is acting strange lately, my controller is always plugged into my xbox and today it was working and then right in the middle of the game. It just turned off so I unplugged it then...
  6. My partner and I have 1 Xbox s series s, 1 tv, 2 controllers, game pass ultimate and all we...

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    My partner and I have 1 Xbox s series s, 1 tv, 2 controllers, game pass ultimate and all we...: My partner and I have 1 Xbox s series s, 1 tv, 2 controllers, game pass ultimate and all we want to do is play 2 player games together. why is this so hard?! Can someone please help?...
  7. I'm completely unsatisfied with this overpriced Elite Series 2 controller - Left stick is...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I'm completely unsatisfied with this overpriced Elite Series 2 controller - Left stick is...: I have to say that I thought the idea of paying over $100 for a controller was absurd, but by the time I got it the thing cost me nearly $170 and after 2 weeks of use the left stick is "jammed" I...
  8. Xbox Series X Screen Flickering, controller disconnects, Xbox shuts down or freezes. Xbox...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X Screen Flickering, controller disconnects, Xbox shuts down or freezes. Xbox...: The only way I get it to stop for a short period of time is by when I encounter the issue, I immediately unplug my Xbox, plug it back in, go to settings, and then reset my alternate Mac address....
  9. Series X controller analog stick dirft then freeze, headset allway connect while the...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Series X controller analog stick dirft then freeze, headset allway connect while the...: After i wake up, open my pc, log in my game play a little then my controller go nut. the both analog sticks move down right-down then freeze, i cant give it any input ( i can still press it ), the...
  10. Xbox series s controller input freezes

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series s controller input freezes: Whenever I'm using my Xbox series s, it will stop receiving controller inputs and freezing on what ever input I was on for a few seconds before returning to normal and then back to frozen etc etc....