Xbox Series X Controller buttons have stopped working after firmware update

Discus and support Xbox Series X Controller buttons have stopped working after firmware update in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hello, Recently I've experienced some connectivity issues with my xbox series x controller. Through official Microsoft channels, I've found out that... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by WilhelmNope, Oct 16, 2022.

1. WilhelmNope
    WilhelmNope Guest

Hello,

Recently I've experienced some connectivity issues with my xbox series x controller.

Through official Microsoft channels, I've found out that it is possible to do a firmware update.

I have followed the procedure, the xbox accessories app showed that update was applied correctly.

For some time I've played games on pc through bluetooth, it was okay, then I tried playing with cable and I noticed that none of the clicky buttons worked (except for both sticks and triggers, which were fine).

I didn't think it was a problem, maybe some hiccup, so I continued playing wireless.

But the next day (after turning pad off and then on) the buttons stopped working in wireless as well.

What's worse, the pair/sync button apparently does not work now either so I can't even try it with other pc.

I have tried:

- power cycling

- removing the battery and leaving it without power for couple of hours

- resetting to default configuration

- updating windows

- removing the device from device manager and plugging again

- checking for new firmware from xbox accessories

- verified that the problem occurs in exactly the same manner in two other PCs

- downgrading through official guide - I've received error: the controller is already up-to-date

The question is - whether the pad is fixable in any way (since I know for sure this isn't hardware defect but probably faulty firmware),

and if so - how?

The controller is no longer on warranty (since January 2022) and the service quotas listed on official site seem to be almost twice the price of the new controller where I live.

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.

:)

WilhelmNope, Oct 16, 2022
  2. ClausReich Win User

Xbox Series X Sync button/synced controller stopped. Sync button must work as I am able to get to BIOS. Sync button wont blink.

In this case, it wouldn't be a bad idea to update your controller's firmware. You can do this on your Series X or your Windows 10 PC. To do it on the Series X, connect it using the USB cable and then go to Settings > Devices & connections > Accessories, and then select the controller you want to update. On the Xbox Wireless Controller screen, select “…” to check the firmware version for your controller. Then, select the Firmware version square, and then press Next to start the update process.

To do it on Windows 10, just download the Xbox Accessories app from the Microsoft Store. If you already have it installed, just run it. After opening the app, the procedure to update is the same one as on the Series X, press the "..." button and follow those steps.

Check if your controller works correctly after doing this.
  3. WilhelmNope Win User

In case anyone would have the same problem, the MS replaced my controller for free (it was still on warranty).

I did not receive any additional explanations, so I can neither confirm nor deny that it was firmware.
  4. WilhelmNope Win User

Additionally, I have connected the gamepad to the linux system and printed out the data that it received. While moving the joysticks and pressing the triggers I have received some output (random characters), but nothing is appearing when I press any of the buttons, so this is most likely the problem with the gamepad itself :(
  5. JosefLBohorquez Win User

Hi and thanks for reaching Microsoft Xbox gamer's community. My name is Josef.
    I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft Xbox user like you.

Hope you're doing great today despite this WILHELMNOPE

How did you tried to downgrade the controller firmware?
    Using this guide?
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/...

Or this other guide and using the Windows method?
    https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/hardware-ne...

If yes, the problem is happening no matter how you connect the controller? (Wired or bluetooth)
  6. JosefLBohorquez Win User

Thema:

1. Xbox Series X Controller buttons have stopped working after firmware update - Similar Threads - Series Controller buttons

2. Some of my Xbox Series X|S controller buttons stopped working correctly all of a sudden?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Some of my Xbox Series X|S controller buttons stopped working correctly all of a sudden?: I don't have xbox console, only the controller. I use it to play games on my laptop (windows 10). I left the controller untouched quite some time (2 or 3 months without playing). when i came back...
  3. I have a Xbox series s controller and the LT button is stuck not physically but when I go...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I have a Xbox series s controller and the LT button is stuck not physically but when I go...: The controller is Xbox series s and I need help fixing it 88965f47-42c9-463e-b3ca-187fdc6a86fd
  4. The sync button on my xbox series x won't flash to connect a new controller

in XBoX on Consoles
    The sync button on my xbox series x won't flash to connect a new controller: I'm trying to sync my controller to my xbox, the light on the controller will flash but the button on the Xbox isn't causing it to flash and sync. Is this a known issue? Is this something I can...
  5. Series 2 controller dead in 3 months. No buttons bumper or triggers. It will power on but...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Series 2 controller dead in 3 months. No buttons bumper or triggers. It will power on but...: Bought controller bundle in december. It's never been 100 percent but has gradually stopped working. At first it would work for awhile or after 'tapping' it. Lightly....
  6. Xbox Elite Series 2 controller keeps disconnecting when I press and hold any button

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Elite Series 2 controller keeps disconnecting when I press and hold any button: I recently bought an Elite Xbox Series 2 controller for my PC, and I ran into an issue where every time I press and hold (edit: any button), the controller would briefly disconnect (no input, xbox...
  7. Xbox series X pairing button on consul will not work to hook up controller

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series X pairing button on consul will not work to hook up controller: My son has an Xbox series X, the controllers used to work fine now the only way to play is have it hardwired to consul they will not pair light on Xbox will not go to blink mode after hitting...
  8. Why is my Xbox series x controller buttons not working for my forza Horizon 5 game?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why is my Xbox series x controller buttons not working for my forza Horizon 5 game?: Hi. My forza horizon 5 game had an issue with the menu button not working when i was playing it on the new xbox series x. When I looked up how to fix it, I used the steps to reset the console as...
  9. My Xbox series X controller is spam pressing the right button on my d-pad

in XBoX Games and Apps
    My Xbox series X controller is spam pressing the right button on my d-pad: The problem only stops when I press left on the dpad but they left vision itself didn't register at all. I've tried everything other than taking the controller apart which is a last resort...
  10. New elite series 2 controller disconnects when pressing left stick button

in XBoX on Consoles
    New elite series 2 controller disconnects when pressing left stick button: My controller disconnects when I press the lefts stick button, I've done a full shutdown of my Xbox, but it still happens. I've tried the button test in settings and when I press left stick button...