Xbox Series S Shutting down for no reason - not hot, not power supply issue

Discus and support Xbox Series S Shutting down for no reason - not hot, not power supply issue in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi, I have an Xbox Series S which has decided to start shutting down approx 2-3 minutes in to any sort of intense activity like playing a game. It... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by TonkaZarny, Oct 28, 2022.

1. TonkaZarny
    TonkaZarny Guest

Hi,

I have an Xbox Series S which has decided to start shutting down approx 2-3 minutes in to any sort of intense activity like playing a game. It can go about 20-40mins watching a show on Sky/Netflix. And it seems to be fine just sitting idle on the home screen for as long as I leave it!?

When I turn it back on it says ensure proper ventilation etc... as if it has overheated. But it is barely warm to touch when it shuts down, and it's located on an open shelf with more than enough ventilation The fan works fine and I've had the back off to check for dust - it was good as new. I've been through all the standard trouble shooting, factory reset, tried multiple power outlets and even bought another power supply and none of these have resolved it.

Any ideas??? Before I have to replace as of course it's a few months out of warranty and the repair cost is insane, almost as much as buying a new one!

Thank you

Lawrie

:)

TonkaZarny, Oct 28, 2022
  2. JosefLBohorquez Win User

Hi and thanks for reaching Microsoft Xbox gamer's community. My name is Josef.
    I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft Xbox user like you.

Hope you're doing great today despite this TONKAZARNY

If you already tried using different power outlets and the console was always connected directly to it.
    In this case it seems like a hardware issue. Not always needs to be the power supply the one failing

In your case now the next step is start a repair order as soon as possible
  3. The Viral Cyrix Win User

sudden console shut down

I would suggest checking ventilation. Sometimes the console will shut down if it is too hot and is not getting enough airflow.

It could also be an issue with the power supply or outlet
  4. XBF Diego M Win User

XBOX ONE no reconoce HDMI T.V. LG

Hi Jose,

Thanks for the response. Do you have the original Xbox One with an external power supply or the Xbox One S or Xbox One X that has an internal power supply? Does the Xbox feel hot when it shuts down?

If not, then that is a sign of a failing power supply. Unplug the power cord from the console and also switch power outlets. Leave the console unplugged for a few minutes. Make sure the cable is firmly inserted after you wait a few minutes.
  5. Bandido1508 Win User

Xbox one shuts off and power supply box while in certain games

Does the power supply get excessively hot, this can be an issue and will cause the power supply to shut down. Make sure it is in a well ventilated space and not on a carpet. It sounds like you have swapped out power supplies, try this power supply with
    another console if you can, this will identify if it is the power supply for certain.

Some activities will put more of a power draw on the console than others.
  6. SwordofWhedon Win User

My XBOX SERIES X shuts off mid game while I am playing games Please help

Your system is shutting down to prevent data corruption after hitting an error

If you get no message about overheating, it's not an issue

High end electronics get hot, it is perfectly normal.Ever touch an incandescent light bulb? How hot those are? They use less than half the power of Series X
Thema:

1. Xbox Series S Shutting down for no reason - not hot, not power supply issue - Similar Threads - Series Shutting down

2. Why is my Xbox series X crashing and completely shutting down during games such as Chivalry...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why is my Xbox series X crashing and completely shutting down during games such as Chivalry...: I have spent over a year now dealing with this issue of my console shutting down mid game, and I have spoken with countless call center representatives from another country that has been very...
  3. Why does my xbox series x shut down everytime I try to play the matrix demo .

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my xbox series x shut down everytime I try to play the matrix demo .: Why..... is the question ... what is real how do you define real...(that's where is shuts off haha) Everytime i try to play the matrix demo my console shuts down there's a green screen for a split...
  4. Series x randomly shutting down

in XBoX on Consoles
    Series x randomly shutting down: Hi all, I have a series x since release and have never had any issues but lately the console shuts off on its own while playing a game. I have had it cleaned by a store that has looked after all...
  5. Xbox Series X Shuts down in 4k

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X Shuts down in 4k: Hello, I have an issue after purchasing a new tv. My Xbox worked fine with the previous tv, but it was only running at 1080p so I decided to purchase a new 4k 120hz tv. The model I got (Vizio...
  6. Why is my Xbox Series X shutting down?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why is my Xbox Series X shutting down?: My xbox is shutting down during halo infinite. Is there something wrong with my xbox? I've had my series X since day 1 and this is the first time something like this has happened....
  7. Xbox Series S Randomly Shuts Down; Gives Overheating Error

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series S Randomly Shuts Down; Gives Overheating Error: Hello, my Series S will consistently shut down after a certain amount of time running a game. At first I thought there was some issue overheating because that was the error message that I received...
  8. Why does pressing R3 to the upper left on Xbox Elite Series 2 shut down the controller?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does pressing R3 to the upper left on Xbox Elite Series 2 shut down the controller?: Yesterday I played some Halo Infinite Matches and noticed that my controller turned itself off. First I thought it was the battery so i charged it and today I recognized the issue occurs when I...
  9. Xbox series X full shut down - EA FC 24 - Battlefield 2042 - Madden

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series X full shut down - EA FC 24 - Battlefield 2042 - Madden: Hi, I’m at a loss with this issue I am having. I’m posting on here in the hope that it might actually get somewhere. I’ve been having this issue for more than a year, for some reason I cannot...
  10. Should i just turn off console or completely shut down the xbox series s evertime after...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Should i just turn off console or completely shut down the xbox series s evertime after...: I am asking it because i am new to xbox . c73f055a-8ce4-41b1-8a39-3b5e6987c042