Xbox Series S randomly disconnects from 5GHz wifi, very high latency when on 2.4GHz. Need...

Discus and support Xbox Series S randomly disconnects from 5GHz wifi, very high latency when on 2.4GHz. Need... in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi all, I just bought an Xbox Series S and experienced serious connectivity issues since. For logistic reasons I cannot connect the Xbox via ethernet,... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by giovian, Nov 26, 2022.

1. giovian
    giovian Guest

Xbox Series S randomly disconnects from 5GHz wifi, very high latency when on 2.4GHz. Need...

Hi all,

I just bought an Xbox Series S and experienced serious connectivity issues since. For logistic reasons I cannot connect the Xbox via ethernet, otherwise I would have skipped wifi altogether, but since I cannot, I will have to work with wireless networks. My router supports separated 2.4 and 5GHz channel, with different SSID both protected via WPA2. Using the 5GHz channel the multiplayer experience is excellent on the Xbox EXCEPT that it disconnects randomly for 30seconds or so before reconnecting, just enough to get kicked out of multiplayers games, which is very annoying (for instance on Halo Infinite I get banned from ranked games due to abandoning matches because of this issue). On 2.4GHz the connection is far more stable, but latency makes for a far poorer experience.

Now, I can play multiplayer fine (such as Halo Infinite) on the 5GHz on my laptop without random disconnections, which points to the issue being Xbox related.

I did try all methods suggested by MS [link] with no luck and I also found a pretty large thread with people having this same issue(link).

My question is, is there a workaround? or is there patch coming anytime soon?

Best,

Giovanni

:)

giovian, Nov 26, 2022
  2. Dérek Augusto Win User

Xbox Series S randomly disconnects from 5GHz wifi, very high latency when on 2.4GHz. Need solution.

Hello!

My name is Dérek, I'm an independent platform consultant and I'm grateful for the opportunity to help you.

Giovian, the disconnect is caused because the console encounters an access restriction and so the connection drops. It's pretty common.

Below, I am sending the necessary configuration to have a clean connection with the live servers ok?

So you just need to configure your internet devices now.

They are unconfigured, so have access restrictions, causing these errors.

If you do not have knowledge, I advise you to contact the ISP that they will do for you

set a fixed ip for the console/PC, open the ports described below, disable and enable the UPnP function and disable the modem firewall, if you have a modem and a router the process has to be done on both devices.

Put console/PC IP in DMZ zone.

Port 88 (UDP)

Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)

Port 53 (UDP and TCP)

Port 80 (TCP)

Port 500 (UDP)

Port 3544 (UDP)

Port 4500 (UDP)

You can ask ISP(Internet Service Provider) for help

I remain at your disposal if you have any further questions.
  3. sandy the hippy Win User

WiFi connection

You may want to check if your wireless is 2.4 or 5ghz combined.

Most routers use 1 wifi network across both 2.4 and 5ghz frequency bands. This can be an issue. 2.4ghz has a further range than 5ghz, and if using 5ghz the signal may drop causing a disconnect.

It should be possible via router wifi settings to separate the 2, effectively making your router have "2" wifi networks- one running 2.4ghz and one using 5ghz. They doing that, and connecting only via the 2.4ghz and see if the issue persists
  4. annix Win User

Wifi Auto Switch for xbox one

Have you considered just getting a wi-fi extender or a powerline adapter? I use a powerline adapter in my house when I switch rooms with my Xbox and it’s great - the speeds aren’t as high as with 5ghz wifi, but I do get lower latency than on my 2.4ghz
    wifi which does have range for some rooms. Also, powerline works great with my laptop when I have my Xbox connected to ethernet for game streaming to Windows 10.
  5. Obsessive Power Win User

Xbox Series X/ASUS RT-AC86u and latency issues

Hi,

Do you have online gaming latency issues?

What are you using to measure your ping (latency)? If you're doing speed tests over the internet, this tests your connection speed to a local server over the internet, it has nothing to do with your WIFI.

The VM Suberhub 3 has both a 2.4Ghz and a 5GHz WIFI, make sure you're using the 5GHz for the best connection speed over your home WIFI.
  6. ChiefJoboo Win User

Internet Problems

The Xbox 360 internal wireless adapters do not support 5Ghz wifi bands, only 2.4Ghz.

The Black Xbox 360 external N wifi adapter supports 5Ghz.

5Ghz may support higher bandwidth (only helpful for LAN transfers and fiber/gigabit connections) but 2.4Ghz has more range.
Thema:

1. Xbox Series S randomly disconnects from 5GHz wifi, very high latency when on 2.4GHz. Need... - Similar Threads - Series randomly disconnects

2. My xbox series x controller disconnects and reconnects on my pc randomly

in XBoX on Consoles
    My xbox series x controller disconnects and reconnects on my pc randomly: Hello, recently I've been having this issue when playing a game where my controller would randomly disconnect and reconnect even in wired on PC, I tried other usb cables, batteries, another pc,...
  3. My Xbox elite series 2 controller will randomly start to disconnect from my Xbox series S

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox elite series 2 controller will randomly start to disconnect from my Xbox series S: My elite series 2 core controller has been working just fine for the past 8 months since I have had it with no issues then today it won’t stay connected to my Xbox, the controller will start to...
  4. Persistent Issue of Random Peripheral Disconnections on Xbox Series X

in XBoX on Consoles
    Persistent Issue of Random Peripheral Disconnections on Xbox Series X: hope this finds you well. My name is Nathan and I am writing to you as a devoted gamer and long-time supporter of the Xbox brand. I have been a proud owner of the Xbox Series X since its release,...
  5. My new Series X keeps randomly disconnecting from xbox services for a couple seconds.

in XBoX on Consoles
    My new Series X keeps randomly disconnecting from xbox services for a couple seconds.: I got a series x fro christmas and randomly throughout the day it will disconnect me from xbox live services and boot me back to the main menu of whatever game I am playing. It only lasts a couple...
  6. Xbox Series X, Controllers randomly disconnecting for a few seconds

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X, Controllers randomly disconnecting for a few seconds: Hi everybody, So I can be happily playing a game then randomly my controller will disconnect, the Xbox button will flash then about 10 seconds later it will reconnect like nothing has happened....
  7. xbox series s randomly disconnects from wifi/ xbox

in XBoX on Consoles
    xbox series s randomly disconnects from wifi/ xbox: Recently bought the new xbox series s , and randomly when playing games it will disconnect from the wifi /xbox life to then reconnect a few seconds later. If anyone has similar issues or knows a...
  8. Does anyone know why my Xbox Series X keeps randomly disconnecting me from the internet?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Does anyone know why my Xbox Series X keeps randomly disconnecting me from the internet?: It has been happening out of nowhere for the past few days not. I will be playing games and the it would say I lose connection and then it would come back on in a few second. Then after like 5-10...
  9. Random Xbox Series controller disconnects after update (Alpha Ring)

in XboX Insiders
    Random Xbox Series controller disconnects after update (Alpha Ring): Hello, my girlfriend recently updated her Xbox Series controller (which came with her Series X Console) with an recent update in the Alpha Ring but after that update her controller keeps...
  10. Xbox Series S disconnects randomly from wired connection

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series S disconnects randomly from wired connection: I’ve had my Xbox Series S for about a year now and haven’t experienced this problem until very recently. I also have a PC and a PS4 which I use the same ethernet cable for wired connections on...