Xbox Series S only recognizes external HDD as a Media Drive/ No Formatting Option

Discus and support Xbox Series S only recognizes external HDD as a Media Drive/ No Formatting Option in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hey All, I recently bought a Toshiba Canvio Ready Portable External Hard Drive 1TB and I plugged it into my Xbox Series S to store last gen games. I... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by JoshAlbert1, Dec 8, 2021.

1. JoshAlbert1
    JoshAlbert1 Guest

Xbox Series S only recognizes external HDD as a Media Drive/ No Formatting Option

Hey All,

I recently bought a Toshiba Canvio Ready Portable External Hard Drive 1TB and I plugged it into my Xbox Series S to store last gen games. I saw on various videos when you plug in an external hard drive, there is a dialog menu to format your drive but that does not happen for me. It just says "Media Storage Ready". I even look at the storage manager and have looked at every option and format to store games is just not there.

I have tried:

-Formatting my drive as NTFS

-Restarting my series S

-Deleting the partition on the drive and creating a new simple volume of NTFS

None of these have worked.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Are there any fixes? I just want to be able to format this drive to store games Xbox Series S only recognizes external HDD as a Media Drive/ No Formatting Option :(

:)

JoshAlbert1, Dec 8, 2021
  2. SammyVS Win User

I'm Samy an independent advisor. Welcome to the Xbox community. How are you?

Press and hold your console's power button until the console turns off, remove everything connected to the console, and after a few minutes connect the HDMI cable, power cord and turn on the console.

After turning on the console, connect the external hard drive and see if that solves the problem.

If the problem persists reset the console to factory defaults, you won't lose anything but you will need to log in with your account again. Email and password are required.

Follow this path and select reset keeping games and app.

In 5 to 10 minutes you will finish reconfiguring your console

To reset the console>

Settings> System> Console Info> Reset Console

***Do not reset your console without having your account email and password.***
  3. GroundOregano94 Win User

Watching movies on Xbox One S

That hard drive must be designated as a media drive. Not formatted as Xbox drive. Because Xbox recognizes SSD it immediately recognizes it as a media drive. Here is troubleshot for external
    hard drives.
    Have you tried to start movies from USB drive? Remember, in settings on your Xbox that drive must be designated as a media drive. You can try reformated it again on your PC and then plug it in again on Xbox. One other thing. If your HDD is
    recognised as media drive on your Xbox, you can format again on your Xbox and set it as media drive again. System/storage - select your media drive and pres a. Then formate it as media drive again. And finally, the question that supposed to be first. Is your
    HDD recognized as a media drive? Is it recognized at all?

Have you tried to change USB ports to plug it in? And last, try a power cycle console described here on the bottom of the page and try plug
    back in your HDD.
  4. Maxlength72 Win User

I have switched to an Xbox series X from an Xbox one S. we used an external sea gate hard drive to store games. The series x can see the hard drive but not all of the games stored on it

What makes me think it’s a problem with the HDD is that I just plugged in another external drive that I use on a series s and the series x saw all the games stored on it. I may need to format the other hdd?
  5. KhajiBower34 Win User

Media Player for Xbox Series S is asking me to "Sign In" when opening the app. error code 0xc00d11cd (0x8000000e)

Hello Thomas C, I am an independent advisor and I will be happy to help you today. My name is Khaji

Error code 0xc00d11cd (0x8000000e) in the Xbox Series S Media Player app usually indicates a problem with authorization or access to media files.
    Make sure you're signed in to your Xbox Series S account before opening the Media Player app. If you are not logged in, it may not allow you to access your media files.

Make sure your Xbox account privacy settings allow access to media files. You can do this by going to the privacy settings in the console and making sure that the option to allow other users to see your media is enabled.

Make sure the media files you want to play are compatible with the Xbox Media Player app. The Xbox Series S supports a variety of file formats, but some specific formats may not be supported. See the Xbox documentation for more information on supported file formats.

Also make sure the media files are located in the correct directory on your external hard drive. Media files must be placed in a folder called "Media Player" at the root of the external hard drive for the Media Player application to recognize them correctly.

Try a different storage device If you're still having problems, try connecting another storage device, such as a USB flash drive, to your Xbox Series S and check if the Media Player app can access the files on that device. This will help determine if the problem is related to the external hard drive or the console settings.

Update the Media Player app Make sure the Media Player app is updated to the latest available version. You can do this by going to the Xbox App Store and checking for updates for the app.

Thank you very much for your patience and understanding! If you need anything else, do not hesitate to contact us again.
  6. Farscape247 Win User

clips

upload to onedrive from the xbox and then download from onedrive on pc.

or use an external hdd formatted by the xbox as a media drive then transfer that way.
Thema:

1. Xbox Series S only recognizes external HDD as a Media Drive/ No Formatting Option - Similar Threads - Series recognizes external

2. XBOX Series S doesn't recognize an External Hard Drive as USB 3.0

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBOX Series S doesn't recognize an External Hard Drive as USB 3.0: Hi there! I'm having some troubles with my XBOX Series S while trying to configure an external hard drive. According to the console, the device isn't fast enough to work as an external storage. It...
  3. Windows 11 Xbox Elite Series 2 Controller recognized only as a normal controller via bluetooth

in XBoX on Consoles
    Windows 11 Xbox Elite Series 2 Controller recognized only as a normal controller via bluetooth: Split from this thread. Seems like I have a similar issue with a normal Series X controller but I'm not sure entirely : Recently an update caused the share button to stop working on Windows...
  4. Xbox Series not recognizing Astro A30 headset

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series not recognizing Astro A30 headset: The A30 is a brand new headset and it is unable to connect. The transmitter is green. I have connected the headset to the transmitter and ensured the headset is on Xbox mode in the mobile app. The...
  5. Windows 11 Xbox Elite Series 2 Controller recognized only as a normal controller via bluetooth

in XBoX on Consoles
    Windows 11 Xbox Elite Series 2 Controller recognized only as a normal controller via bluetooth: Out of the box I connected my Xbox Elite Series 2 Controller via Bluetooth to my Windows 11 PC. It was detected as an elite controller. During gameplay I found that some button combinations would...
  6. Series x isn't recognizing right joystick

in XBoX on Consoles
    Series x isn't recognizing right joystick: will not work on home screen but will work in games for multiple controllers tried all power cycles update if i switch the controller mappping it reconizes the right but not the left...
  7. Series x isn't recognizing right joystick for multiple controllers

in XBoX on Consoles
    Series x isn't recognizing right joystick for multiple controllers: I was playing MW3 and my right joystick stopped working. I checked for update, un-synced and re-synced and power cycled both my controller and Xbox to no avail. I also reset my Series X. I tried...
  8. Series x isn't recognizing RS for multiple controllers

in XBoX on Consoles
    Series x isn't recognizing RS for multiple controllers: Did multiple power-cycles, just completed a reset as well as power-cycling the controllers as well. Nothing has worked, and they stopped working mid-online match....
  9. Rocksmith not recognizing cable on series X?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Rocksmith not recognizing cable on series X?: I bought a brand new realtone cable because the first one wouldn't recognize either. Tried different usb ports, different xboxes, different guitars and different cords. It's a real bummer to waste...
  10. My Series X does not recognize my Samsung T3 external SSD (1TB) for storing games, only for...

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Series X does not recognize my Samsung T3 external SSD (1TB) for storing games, only for...: Hello. I've been trying to find info about this. There is only one old question with no answers and the thread is archived. I tried everything (I removed the Samsung Lock Software, I formatted it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. xbox series s external hard drive format no option