Xbox Series S has three USB ports, and none of them allows audio systems to be connected. Why?

Discus and support Xbox Series S has three USB ports, and none of them allows audio systems to be connected. Why? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I don't think I should dwell on the lack of USB audio support on the Xbox, or more accurately, support for licensed hardware only. There... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Bruno Ferreira Martins, Mar 22, 2023.

1. Xbox Series S has three USB ports, and none of them allows audio systems to be connected. Why?

Hi everyone,

I don't think I should dwell on the lack of USB audio support on the Xbox, or more accurately, support for licensed hardware only. There are 3 USB ports on the console and the lack of use for them is terrible. Do you think it is possible to expect any update from Microsoft on this issue? Or is allowing third party connections for audio something completely off the radar and maybe even impossible to implement?

The headphone jack on the gamepad has a terrible DAC, barely delivering quality to the most modest earbuds/headphones I have. Currently I need to bring the audio through HDMI to the TV, connect the TV through the optical connection to an external DAC/AMP and then connect my 2.0 system or headphone. With USB support for audio I could directly connect my DAC/AMP to the console and extract the best sound possible. Please note that when connecting my DAC/AMP to my desktop using Windows, the operating system recognizes the external audio perfectly. Why not the Xbox? I have a good microphone that uses the USB interface and I would love to be able to connect it to the Xbox, but in the current situation it is simply impossible.

:)

Bruno Ferreira Martins, Mar 22, 2023
  2. Bruno Ferreira Marti Win User

Xbox Series S has three USB ports, and none of them allows audio systems to be connected. Why?

I don't see this decision from the whole industry. USB and Bluetooth are also universal industry standards for carrying audio data and this is not present in the console (only in licensed products). No console or computer is capable of using the entire data bandwidth for audio on an HDMI, the USB 3.0 capability is perfectly capable, otherwise Sony would not allow this on the PS5, or I would have audio performance drop when using my computer's USB.

HDMI audio solutions are still expensive, a good quality soundbar or receiver that uses HDMI audio can cost half the value of the Series S itself, if not more. And that is why we don't find it in cheaper or older DACs.

You see, I love my Series S, for me it is the best console of the generation, it is cheap and capable of excellent performance. The Series S + Game Pass is the perfect combination for those who do not have much money can access the generation. But I would like to be able to use what I already have at home, my everyday usb headset at least. That is ensuring accessibility. The headphone jack on the gamepad is limited in quality, further reducing the options for audio.

Anyway, limiting the use of the USB ports is the only problem I face with my Series S and I would really like to see Microsoft do something about it.

Thanks!
  3. ngocphi Win User

You have to ask your manufacturer why they only support pc not consoles

I dunno you can get good its headphones you just gotta pay for them

There are offical codecs

HDMI beats our any usb device you can think of in raw output

You can get.turtle beach which supports Dolby digiral etc arctis etx

Windows require the manufacturer to write drivers a certain way just like consoles but consoles don't install drivers Except from offical sources

And xbox like sony and Nintendo require certification to be labeled compatible

USB is 500mbps.vs 48gbps hdmi 2.1

You would have more audio bandwidth on HDMI then any usb device
  4. SwordofWhedon Win User

You'll find that there are a large number of audio formats you're not aware of, all of which Xbox is compatible with.

Xbox uses wi-fi direct for peripherals, which up is far lower latency and far greater bandwidth than Bluetooth.

I'm not sure you understand. I'm talking about the difference in cost, at manufacture, including royalties between USB 3.0 and HDMI. You're comparing radically different consumer electronics products.

A receiver you're paying for all the DACs inside. You're paying for the power supply. You're paying for the shielding, the processing, none of which are in a DAC. HDMI isn't what makes them expensive, it's the fact that they're driving 1000w of speakers and decoding and mapping 11 channels of audio in near real time
  5. SwordofWhedon Win User

it's actually the opposite of Apple. Apple will charge you an amount of money so that they make a large profit on the purchase of your device. They make a profit on everything they sell, before you purchase any software.

Xbox is sold under manufacturing cost. In order to make up for this deficit, that's why you have to buy games through the Xbox store, and only use licensed peripherals

Limiting connections to secure digital is, as I said a decision. by the entire consumer electronics industry. You'll find this to be the case on virtually every form of mainstream consumer electronics.

High quality audio has large bandwidth requirements and sustained throughout that requires at leadas well.

I think the question you need to ask yourself is why the DAC manufacturers refuse to use HDMI like everyone else. It's been standard industry wide for 20 years.
  6. SwordofWhedon Win User

Peripherals for Xbox must be licensed by Microsoft, and contain security chips to authenticate them

It is very unlikely any open USB audio standard will be supported by the main OS for this reason.

I always recommend to people to buy a decent audio receiver with HDMI switching, especially since most DACs only support optical. The consumer electronics industry has abandoned non-secure digital and all analog connect standards for the most part.
Thema:

1. Xbox Series S has three USB ports, and none of them allows audio systems to be connected. Why? - Similar Threads - Series has three

2. Help! A tap water/ vinegar mix was used to wipe my series x. It has a big dark spot (maybe...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Help! A tap water/ vinegar mix was used to wipe my series x. It has a big dark spot (maybe...: Here is a photo of it. The marks are most likely water/vinegar mix. I hate when There are marks like this. [img] 411af9ba-49b4-47e4-a3fa-6c40e793f6fd
  3. Xbox series X has issues reading 4k bluray discs. How do I fix that??

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series X has issues reading 4k bluray discs. How do I fix that??: My xbox plays everything just fine but I recently purchased a 4k bluray disc and and my xbox won't read it. It attempts to read but then eventually stops. 2e6fceb2-3fd5-4ec3-b2a4-06c0ba0fccbf
  4. Xbox series X has been broken since release

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series X has been broken since release: I’m very frustrated by this. No games or apps will load so I’ll power cycle the Xbox. Unplug the leads and wait. Go to turn it back on and my controller isn’t synced. Try to use the Xbox series...
  5. My Xbox series X motherboard has broken

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox series X motherboard has broken: My Xbox series X motherboard has broken and it is one month out of warranty, why should I have to pay £290 to get this fixed when it is not my fault, I can’t believe that a £500 console can barely...
  6. Is my xbox s That has a disc considered series Yes

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is my xbox s That has a disc considered series Yes: Is my xbox s that Play disk, is it considered a series? Yes? What is it just A? Regular Xbox One. Sign out, it is the white one. But it's not small. 2b1368f0-cbd8-453b-b261-6ba8a59bbaf0
  7. Xbox Series X has glitchy/stuttering audio with headphones when on a menu, or in an app...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X has glitchy/stuttering audio with headphones when on a menu, or in an app...: My Xbox Series X randomly started having glitchy or stuttering audio issues a few months ago, but only on menus, but now i realized that it effects apps as well (like Spotify, YouTube, etc)...
  8. Xbox Series X has no audio in game, but has audio on dashboard.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X has no audio in game, but has audio on dashboard.: After reading some other questions this seems to have been an issue back in 2022 and has yet been resolved. Has anyone had any luck with combating this issue? Games will have audio, till I exit...
  9. My xbox series x controllers battery pack died and since then my controller has not...

in XBoX on Consoles
    My xbox series x controllers battery pack died and since then my controller has not...: My xbox series x controllers battery pack died and since then my controller has not connected to my xbox I have plugged it in and fully recharged the pack and it still hasn't connected does anyone...
  10. My Elite Series 2 Core controller wont turn on. This has happened previously three times...

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Elite Series 2 Core controller wont turn on. This has happened previously three times...: My Elite Series 2 Core controller wont turn on. This has happened previously three times and i managed to fix it by pure luck. I need help understanding why this happens and how to fix it...