Xbox powers off by itself when watching videos

Discus and support Xbox powers off by itself when watching videos in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; when I try to watch netflix or even the update video my xbox powers off 643773c7-ac6a-45ae-ae18-27d16798f8bb Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by baldsilentbob70, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Xbox powers off by itself when watching videos

when I try to watch netflix or even the update video my xbox powers off

:)

baldsilentbob70, Feb 9, 2015
  2. Xbox one powers off when watching video

My Xbox one works fine for games but when attempting to watch video via Netflix, YouTube, amazon instant etc. the console shuts off.

Sometimes 30seconds into a video, sometimes after a few minutes.

My roommate also has an xbox one and I was able to give his power supply a go and yeilded the same results.

My "auto off" feature has been disabled as per the Xbox one support recommendations.

Knowing that my warranty period was almost up, I shipped the console to Microsoft for service and got it back with a note that they were unable to find any issue with the console.

I would like to get this sorted out - my Xbox one is great for gaming but the console should be usable for so much more.

NCSU Woofpack, Feb 9, 2015
  3. Xbox one powers off when watching video

The issue doesn't occur after hours of play (well, it would then too).

The console will go from cool and powered off to powered on then to crashed and powered off as quickly as I can log in and boot netflix (~15-30 seconds of video, maybe 2 minutes total of being powered on).

I believe the power brick is showing the amber light once the system powers down.

NCSU Woofpack, Feb 9, 2015
  4. NCSU Woofpack Win User

Xbox one powers off when watching video

The issue doesn't occur after hours of play (well, it would then too).

The console will go from cool and powered off to powered on then to crashed and powered off as quickly as I can log in and boot netflix (~15-30 seconds of video, maybe 2 minutes total of being powered on).

I believe the power brick is showing the amber light once the system powers down.
  5. Linden AG Win User

Xbox one powers off when watching video

Next time it does occur give a look at the power brick and let us know what light you get.

I know you said you tried your and a buds, but the result is the same which leads me to think the internals are causing an issue that ANY power block cant handle. (Such as an overheat when running)

The Support squad wouldn't notice anything because they don't cut it on, play games for a couple hours ,then go and watch a few movies lol. They simply plug in a cool computer, its goes "beep" and then says nothings wrong and send it back.
  6. fifalover Win User

Error code 0x90010108 driving my son insane

I got it too. I was watching a video in the Amazon app and when it was over, I couldn't go back to the dashboard. I had to power off the system twice before it came back on.
  7. Farscape247 Win User

Xbox One and watching TV could have been thought through better

[quote user="kernelpanic67"]

IMHO, I think that watching TV through the Xbox one could have been designed better. Why wasn't the interface designed as pass through? It's not very "green" to have on the Cable box, TV and Xbox one just to watch simple TV.
    The Xbox one itself generates a lot of heat. Once the Xbox goes off, you lose the TV signal. If I wanted to play my Xbox 360 (since the Xbox one doesn't play Xbox 360 games) I would need to have my Cable Box (TV plugged
    into cable box for power and I could setup the cable box to always have power the the aux power port, but that would defeat the purpose of me using the scheduled power off on the cable box), TV, Xbox One and Xbox 360 on. In addition, today the signal from
    the cable box was first stuttering (video and sound kept stopping) and when I turned off and on the cable box, the Xbox didn't see the signal. I was able to get the Xbox to see the signal, but I had to fully power off and pull the power cable out of the Xbox.
    I've since reverted back to having my TV on a dedicated input and the Xbox one on its own.

[/quote]

the xbox one does not generate a lot of heat, mine is always cold even after hours of gaming, when watching tv through the xbox it uses less power due to not having to do anything major and will never get to hot.
  8. ChristopheDeppe Win User

Desired update to Media Player

I'd be glad if it was able to resume where I left off after closing the app. I don't always watch a video start-to-finish, so it would be nice to simply pick up where I left off.... Right now I have to write down when I stopped watching and fast forward
    to the same place next time... or simply power up my 360 and watch videos on there.... That should've been an included feature from the start.
Thema:

Xbox powers off by itself when watching videos

1. Xbox powers off by itself when watching videos - Similar Threads - powers off itself

2. Xbox One X - Powering off after a few seconds

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox One X - Powering off after a few seconds: Hello, just wanted to reach out and see if anyone is having a similar issue? Or if anyone knows what can be done to alleviate this problem. I have an Xbox One X that I use for beta updates, and...
  3. My Xbox series S won’t show display, cannot connect controllers and powers off by itself.

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox series S won’t show display, cannot connect controllers and powers off by itself.: In the morning as I’m putting this description I turned on my Xbox series S, it turns on but won’t post anything and won’t connect my controller. The power keeps flickering with my controller...
  4. Xbox Series S, No controller, No HDMI, powers itself off.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series S, No controller, No HDMI, powers itself off.: I have an Xbox Series S, and recently it began having a severe issue making the console completely unusable. I connect the power cable to the wall, and a good confirmed working HDMI cable to the...
  5. Xbox Series X keeps powering itself off

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X keeps powering itself off: It did it 5 times today. I have changed the outlet it's plugged into, change power off options and display resolution to 1080p, I did a factory reset and nothing helps. I paid over $800 on Game...
  6. my xbox one shut off by itself and won’t turn back on. the power cord is fine, it’s not...

in XBoX on Consoles
    my xbox one shut off by itself and won’t turn back on. the power cord is fine, it’s not...: my xbox one shut off by itself last night by itself and turned back on instantly after pressing the power button. it did the same thing today but now won’t turn on. it makes the noise but does...
  7. After a power outage, my Xbox One will turn itself off after about 5 seconds

in XBoX on Consoles
    After a power outage, my Xbox One will turn itself off after about 5 seconds: My Xbox will turn on for about 5 seconds and then turn itself off. The Xbox also doesn’t register the button combo for entering troubleshooting mode either, it has also been about 3-4 months since...
  8. Xbox Turned Itself Off Power Light Flashing Very Fast

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox Turned Itself Off Power Light Flashing Very Fast: My xbox randomly turned off mid game like not an instant crash, my game seemed to freeze then I had a black screen, but my party chat was still working for a few seconds. Then my console...
  9. Xbox one power does not work when I touched it and turns off by itself and makes beep...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one power does not work when I touched it and turns off by itself and makes beep...: My xbox power button not responding to touch and keeps making ejecting disc noise like crazy turns off as soon as it get to the menu or turn on right away with ejecting disc noises...
  10. Xbox one turning itself on and off without touching power button!?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one turning itself on and off without touching power button!?: Hello, i was just wondering if anyone could please help me with my xbox one console. I've read up all over the internet for a solution, so heres what happens. I plug in my xbox ones power cable...