Xbox PC Game Pass App - "Manage Installs" page stuck on "Checking for updates..." indefinitely

Discus and support Xbox PC Game Pass App - "Manage Installs" page stuck on "Checking for updates..." indefinitely in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; feel bad for posting this when it seems to be a well-known problem but nothing has worked. Using PC Xbox app on Windows 11 for Game Pass games. Was... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by kieran_online, Mar 18, 2023.

1. Xbox PC Game Pass App - "Manage Installs" page stuck on "Checking for updates..." indefinitely

feel bad for posting this when it seems to be a well-known problem but nothing has worked.

Using PC Xbox app on Windows 11 for Game Pass games. Was working totally fine up through March 15th; then afternoon of March 16th I tried to install Bugsnax and suddenly all hell broke loose. "Manage Installs" is now stuck "Checking for updates..." indefinitely, and the multiple games queued to download are all stuck at 0% (even if they say "downloading" instead of "queued"!) because it never stops checking.

I have spent 6+ hours over multiple days Googling for solutions, reinstalling, deleting, repairing, resetting, updating every single app I possibly could, even deleting all existing game installs and files, and nothing has worked. Before I deleted them all in desperation, games that were already installed wouldn't launch, either, so I can't play anything at all.

Things I have already tried that did not work:

• Uninstalling & reinstalling Xbox app and related apps including Gaming Services and Windows Store
    • "Repair" or "Reset" in Windows Settings > Apps > Advanced options on all the same as above
    • Updating programs or Windows itself (everything's completely up to date)
    • Restarting computer (close to 10 times at this point)
    • Deleting temporary files
    • Deleting AppData package cache
    • Running chkdsk /f/x/r/v
    • Defragging drives
    • etc.
    If it matters, I install all my games to an SSD named F: rather than my C: drive since my C: is low on space. The last game I played before this started was Paradise Killer, and then it left Game Pass and I uninstalled it and tried to install Bugsnax to fill the void.

Is there ANYTHING else that might work?

Thanks.

:)

kieran_online, Mar 18, 2023
  2. CarTzy Win User

Xbox PC Game Pass App - "Manage Installs" page stuck on "Checking for updates..." indefinitely

Hello kieran_online,

Thank you for the clarification, I have to check with our internal team and will get back to your for updates. If there are any progress please let us know by updating this thread.
  3. CarTzy Win User

Hello kieran_online,

Can you try to uninstall the game.

Install a different game instead and see if you will experience the same issue.
  4. CarTzy Win User

Hello kieran_online,

Welcome to the Xbox Community Forum. Thank you for sharing your concern with us today and we hope that all is well. Let me see how I can assist you with this concern.

We’d like to know more about it in details so that we can provide a more accurate resolution for you.

• What is the current version and edition of Windows OS installed? (check this by searching for WINVER)
    • What is the version of the Xbox App?

So far, it seems that you have already performed most of the troubleshooting steps necessary to fix this issue. Somehow, here are some additional troubleshooting methods we can try to fix.

If you are running third-party software for antivirus, antimalware, or performance enhancements, Disable them.

Perform Both SFC Scan and Clean boot

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files - Microsoft Support

How to perform a clean boot in Windows - Microsoft Support

After running these methods try to see if the games are still queued.

Perform the method below:

Reinstall the Gaming Services app on your Windows 10/11 device:

1. Select the Search icon on the taskbar, type powershell, right-click on Windows PowerShell, and then select Run as administrator.
    2. In Windows PowerShell, type the following command and press Enter:

get-appxpackage Microsoft.GamingServices | remove-AppxPackage -allusers
    3. In the same window, type the following command and press Enter:

start ms-windows-store://pdp/?productid=9MWPM2CQNLHN
    4. Install the app on that page and select Yes when you receive the User Account Control (UAC) prompt.
    5. Restart your device and try to install the game again.

You may also try to create a new Windows User and test it on the new profile created.

Create a local user or administrator account in Windows - Microsoft Support

We're looking forward to hearing from you. If there are any inquiries about our description or if there are any misconceptions, do reply to the post.
  5. Jeremy Clarkson1 Win User

Hi,

Maybe no help but I have been trying to fix this issue myself for last couple of days. I have been able to get working again by starting in Safe Mode and

renaming the install folder I was using (changed it to "xboxgames backup"). I started system back up and it recreated the "xboxgames" folder and started working.

Thanks

Edit: Should have noted that once folder was changed you would need to copy old already installed games into new folder or redownload.
  6. CarTzy Win User

Hello kieran_online,

Thank you for sharing the resolution you perform to fix the issue. I also recommend for you and the rest who are having this type of issue to submit a feedback or report this issue with Xbox in order for the issue to be reviewed by the appropriate team.

Kindly follow the guide in submitting a bug through the Xbox App:

1. Navigate to the top right of the application and select your gamerpic icon
    2. Select “Feedback” in the drop-down menu
    3. Select “Report a problem”
    4. Click Give new feedback
    5. Add [Xbox Forum] in “Summarize your feedback” followed by a feedback summary
    6. Summary should be descriptive and fully detailing the error you are receiving. Links redirecting to this forum post will not be accepted and will cause a delay in your feedback submission.
    7. Category should automatically be selected.
    8. In the "add more details" category, you will have the option to "Recreate my problem". Recreating the problem will help us further pinpoint the error you are receiving.
    9. Once complete, post the title of the bug report along with the submission date in this thread

Or please see: Provide feedback to Team Xbox | Xbox Support
Thema:

1. Xbox PC Game Pass App - "Manage Installs" page stuck on "Checking for updates..." indefinitely - Similar Threads - Game Pass App

2. so my xbox wired controller is acting wierd on xbox game pass app it makes me look around...

in XBoX on Consoles
    so my xbox wired controller is acting wierd on xbox game pass app it makes me look around...: so my xbox wired controller is acting wierd on xbox game pass app it makes me look around LT and RT instead of one of my joysticks f4b7a134-1bf5-46de-a074-9f4c339e40f9
  3. Game pass app not working

in XBoX on Windows
    Game pass app not working: For some reason the layout of my Xbox gamepass app is different than the other ones I see. My one profile icon is on the bottom right and others is on the bottom middle. I don’t know why this is...
  4. Xbox Game Pass PC App Crashes upon opening on Windows 10

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Game Pass PC App Crashes upon opening on Windows 10: I recently tried reinstalling the Xbox app on Windows 10 and I have not been able to get the app to fully launch no matter what I do. I have tried every fix I can find on the internet but nothing...
  5. xbox game pass app not working

in XBoX on Consoles
    xbox game pass app not working: I have xbox game pas for PC subscription and app is not launching since yesterday (11.02.2024), before that it worked fine. I reinstalled it, relaunched multiple times and all I get is a static...
  6. Xbox Game Pass PC App Crashes Immediately on Windows 10

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox Game Pass PC App Crashes Immediately on Windows 10: Xbox app started crashing after windows update here is event viewer ib xml format - <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"> - <System> <Provider Name="Application...
  7. Can't launch the XBOX app on my PC, even if i have the game pass

in XBoX Accessibility
    Can't launch the XBOX app on my PC, even if i have the game pass: It's been three days since i cant even launch the app. It stays on the white xbox logo and then after a while deseppear. When i go to the website or the windows store it does nothing. It even...
  8. Since about a week ago, I have been unable to update almost any game on PC Xbox (Game Pass) app

in XBoX on Windows
    Since about a week ago, I have been unable to update almost any game on PC Xbox (Game Pass) app: Whenever I try to the app gives me the "0xd05e010f" error, whatever that means. Darktide, Palworld, you name it, the only game that i've been able to successfully update was Minecraft Does anyone...
  9. Game Pass for PC and EA app - Can't uninstall game at all

in XboX Insiders
    Game Pass for PC and EA app - Can't uninstall game at all: Title says it all. Game won't uninstall be it from the Game Pass app, the EA app or just using Windows' add/remove programs. No error message is given, I press uninstall and it just won't do...
  10. Cloud gaming via the Xbox game pass app iOS?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Cloud gaming via the Xbox game pass app iOS?: Is there any way cloud gaming is integrated into the game pass app for iOs for all the listed games?, tried playing certain games on the app using a backbone controller but it asks to install the...