Xbox PC App "There was a problem loading installation locations. Try again."

Discus and support Xbox PC App "There was a problem loading installation locations. Try again." in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Seemingly out of nowhere my Xbox app on PC doesn't show any of my installed games. In settings I see the error "There was a problem loading... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Noah Barrett1, Mar 12, 2023.

1. Xbox PC App "There was a problem loading installation locations. Try again."

Seemingly out of nowhere my Xbox app on PC doesn't show any of my installed games. In settings I see the error "There was a problem loading installation locations. Try again."

I have searched for and found nothing of help. I have no idea what the issue is and cannot see or play any of the games I have installed.

I only found one support article with someone experiencing the same thing expect updating Windows fixed that persons issue. I am completely up to date and it did not fix mine.

Please help.

:)

Noah Barrett1, Mar 12, 2023
  2. Richard.W67 Win User

Hi Noah im in same boat suddenly as of yesterday all my xbox games are not there and when i go to reinstall it tells me gaming services needs an update or is broken is this what you get ?? yet my EA games that are linked work fine
  3. CosmicCraze Win User

Xbox PC App installed games are gone and "There was a problem load install locations. Try again." error

If you are experiencing issues with your Xbox PC app installed games disappearing and receiving the "There was a problem loading install locations. Try again." error, here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue:

1. Check for updates: Make sure the Xbox app is up to date by going to the Microsoft Store and checking for updates.

2. Restart the Xbox app: Close the app and relaunch it.

3. Restart your computer: Sometimes, a simple restart of your computer can help fix software glitches.

4. Reset the Xbox app: Click on the Start menu and search for "Apps & features". Scroll down to find the Xbox app and click on "Advanced options". Then, click on "Reset" to reset the app to its default settings.

5. Reinstall the Xbox app: If none of the above steps work, uninstall the Xbox app and then reinstall it from the Microsoft Store.

Hopefully, one of these solutions will help you resolve the issue with your Xbox PC app installed games disappearing and the "There was a problem loading install locations. Try again." error.
  4. rocka4real Win User

PC Games Pass Issue, cant see anything - Support is useless, plz help

I have the same issue.

The companion xbox console app shows all my games but the xbox app doesn't show my list of games.

Under settings and General it says ' There was a problem loading installation locations. Try again.

This issue only happened yesterday.

Mayne error with the app?
  5. Claytron_9333 Win User

Xbox PC App installed games are gone and "There was a problem load install locations. Try again." error

Thank you but I have performed all of these steps multiple times before and after doing a full reinstall of the OS. The issue persists.
  6. Claytron_9333 Win User

Well, I seem to have solved this issue for myself. I actually tried to get MS support but they bounced me around different departments 4-5 times and then after a 30 minute hold, I was disconnected.

Posting here to for anyone who finds it useful in the future.

The only commonality that I found between my two computers with this issue is that they use a SSD for game installs that is not the same as the one that the OS and xbox app run on.

After updating to Windows 11, something about this caused issues for the xbox app. I had some suspicions about this given the text of the error. When I looked into it, Windows/xbox app were now set up to use the SSD that the OS is not (not my gaming SSD) for game and app installs. The games had previously been installed on the gaming SSD. I tried changing back to the gaming SSD but it did not solve the issue (in Settings > System > Storage > Advanced Storage > "Where new content is saved").

Despite being set up to use the OS SSD, the xbox app didn't seem to be writing to it or was unable to connect to it. I could even see that it files in the xbox games folder in the gaming SSD were still being updated somehow based on the file timestamps.

It was as if no matter what I changed, the xbox app was trying to work with the old gaming SSD. So I formatted the old gaming SSD. In the time while it was formatting, the error in the xbox app went away. And as soon as the format was done and the drive was back online, the error came back. Also, the xbox app immediately starting making folders in the SSD that I had just formatted. So regardless of what I changed, it was always trying to use the gaming SSD.

Next I turned off the PC and physically unplugged the gaming SSD. Again, with that SSD gone, the error went away. I plugged it back in and the error came back. Even when it was unplugged and the error was gone, it would not allow me to download games on the OS SSD (it would just put downloads into Pending). During this time I reinstalled the xbox app, gaming services, etc to try to break its obsession with the old gaming SSD. I found an article that pointed me toward registry entries to see where Windows was set up to install apps and games and it said the OS SSD but it would never write there.

So finally I reinstalled the OS on the OS SSD without the Gaming SSD plugged in. From there I was able to use the xbox app without the error and download games to the OS SSD. I plugged in the gaming SSD, formatted it and now I'll use it for Steam, Battle.net, etc but for whatever reason I can not use it with the xbox app without getting the error.

To summarize:

• The issue for me related to games being installed on a different drive from Windows/xbox.
    • Removing the gaming SSD cleared the error but I still couldn't download games to any drive.
    • The only way I could get windows to switch to a different drive was an OS reinstall.
    • I dare not try to use a separate SSD for xbox app games again.
Thema:

1. Xbox PC App "There was a problem loading installation locations. Try again." - Similar Threads - App was problem

2. Hello! So I have a problem! On my xbox app the console icon won't pop up! I have a...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Hello! So I have a problem! On my xbox app the console icon won't pop up! I have a...: Hello! So I have a problem! On my xbox app the console icon won't pop up! I have a screenshot of the issue but it won't let me send it and the problem is on the app on my computer!...
  3. Should I be an insider when using the “Report a Problem” app?

in XboX Insiders
    Should I be an insider when using the “Report a Problem” app?: The “Report a Problem” app is available either standalone or a part of the insider bundle. I have found an issue with saving in certain games on Series S, which I have reported as a non insider...
  4. Problem with networking, xbox console, PC and phone app on wifi.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Problem with networking, xbox console, PC and phone app on wifi.: Hey very odd situation. One day my router just stopped working with my xbox and related apps on my PC and phone. Xbox console indicates no issues with internet connection, but it will not access...
  5. XBOX Series X connect with XBOX app (android) problem

in XBoX on Windows
    XBOX Series X connect with XBOX app (android) problem: I am trying to connect my console to the Xbox app (android) but the app is stuck at the message "Turn on your console and sign in with your account". My console is turned on and i have signed in....
  6. Problems with YouTube app on Xbox Series X

in XboX Insiders
    Problems with YouTube app on Xbox Series X: Hello to everyone, Alpha member with the problem listed in the title. The last update of 2023 seemed to fix the "buffering" and "video freezing" issues on the YouTube app but I have still major...
  7. Problems with Avatar app and One Drive

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Problems with Avatar app and One Drive: The One Drive app has been removed and it's not on the Xbox appstore. With that said, when I try to save a picture from my avatar, the avatar app crashes since it only can save to One Drive or...
  8. Problem: cannot download from Microsoft store or open Xbox app

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Problem: cannot download from Microsoft store or open Xbox app: I was trying to reinstall some games back onto my computer (I had uninstalled them about 3 months ago). I was going to redownload them from the Microsoft store. When I clicked install, the install...
  9. Problem with Xbox App for PC

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Problem with Xbox App for PC: When Launch Xbox App for PC for playing games. Show me like this. Tried everything. Restart, Uninstall all xbox components. But nothing changes. Any help? [img]...
  10. Does anyone know how to fix Xbox one problem..it will not launch any games or apps and says...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Does anyone know how to fix Xbox one problem..it will not launch any games or apps and says...: Does anyone know how to fix Xbox one problem....won't launch Amy games or apps...just pauses for a couple seconds when I click and says having problem launching 28512a93-5ae7-4129-9a72-604e0ec74a75