Xbox pc app refuses to install games into specified folder, goes into WindowsApps instead.

Discus and support Xbox pc app refuses to install games into specified folder, goes into WindowsApps instead. in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; So yeah don't know how that happened, was fine before, last game I played was somerville and it installed in the folder I said but couple months later,... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Criptaike, Mar 18, 2023.

1. Criptaike
    Criptaike Guest

Xbox pc app refuses to install games into specified folder, goes into WindowsApps instead.

So yeah don't know how that happened, was fine before, last game I played was somerville and it installed in the folder I said but couple months later, want to try some hi-fi rush and atomic heart, says it will be installed on the folder I said, but installs it in the windowsapps folder instead without no apparent reason. Also in the manage tab of the games I don't see the "verify game files" or the "move game files" options anymore, just disappeared I guess. Tried a bunch of things but I don't see anyone having my exact issue on the internet so I'm out of solutions.

Here is a gif for example: spCMnfW.gif (1920×1050) (imgur.com)

(I have confirmation that the files goes into the windowsapps folder instead)

:)

Criptaike, Mar 18, 2023
  2. Criptaike Win User

1. "last game I played was somerville and it installed in the folder I said but couple months later, want to try some hi-fi rush and atomic heart, says it will be installed on the folder I said, but installs it in the windowsapps folder instead"

2. Tried the insider app, didn't changed anything, reverted back.

3. Every game.

4. I have zero third-party app that does that.

5. Windows 10 Pro, 22H2, 19045.2604

5.1. Already provided with gif.

Edit: Tested with my friend, he has the same problem as me. Seems like a more bigger problem than I realized
  3. Kathy A. Win User

Hello Criptaike,

Welcome to Xbox Community Forum. Thank you for sharing your concern with us today and we hope that all is well.

We understand that you are trying to keep your Xbox Games on specific folder and is unable to because the games were added on different location you did not set. Let us check on this together so you will get back to gaming.

To have a better understanding, we would like to further isolate your concern.

1. Can you still recall when didd this issue specifically happened?
    2. Are you part of Xbox Insider or PC Insider or Beta user of games?
    3. Will this installation issue occur on other Xbox games?
    4. Do you have antivirus, antimalware, VPN, firewall, proxy and PC Optimizer installed in your PC?
    5. May we ask for the Windows version and edition of your computer or laptop? Please type WINVER into the Windows search bar and hit Enter.
      • On the Xbox app, kindly go to Settings > General and see the under Game Install options about the defaults. Please take a screenshot and conceal any personal information (like complete name, gamertag, and PC Name.)

• [​IMG]

So far, from the details you provided, you can try the following steps and let us know the result. You can just skip those you have done already.

Please follow the steps under Installation from this link: Troubleshoot issues with the Xbox app for Windows | Xbox Support

Let us know the result and we will get back to you as soon as we can. We may recommend further troubleshooting steps once we have received your answers to the above questions.

Sincerely,

Xbox Forum Moderator

Microsoft Community
  4. Criptaike Win User

5. Kathy A. Win User

Hi Criptaike,

Thanks for letting me know my prior solution didn’t fix the issue. I do have some further strategies to try:

1. Clear the store cache by typing “wsreset” in the Windows search bar. Run this as admin and wait for the screen to close and open the store automatically.
    2. Please go to Settings > Apps > Apps & features > Select the apps that needs fixing (Microsoft Store and Xbox app). Select the Advanced options link under the name of the Microsoft Store. On the page that opens, select Repair if it's available. If it isn't available, select Reset. Do the same thing with Xbox app.
    3. Run system scans - Run a full system scan. This will check and restore corrupted system files.

In Windows search bar, search for Command Prompt and Run as Administrator.

Copy the command below one line at a time and paste it on Command Prompt:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

SFC /scannow

Please give those a shot and let me know if they work for you! If they don’t, a couple things that might help me figure this out are:

Do you have issues installing games or apps from Microsoft Store too?

Is this computer a personal or customized?

Regards,

6. Kathy A. Win User

Hello Criptaike,

Thanks for the update.

It could be that the reason it was redirected to a different folder is because the settings in your PC for new contents was change back to the default folder or a different one. Try to check the settings here, restart and check if this location changed then try to reinstall games again. Since this is installation issue, you may try the suggestions here: Troubleshoot issues with the Xbox App for Windows before you proceed to the steps below.

1. Go to PC Settings and select System.
    2. At the left side, please select Storage and scroll down on the options on the right side.
    3. Look for Change where new content is saved. This will take you to a selection of drive and on the Change the New apps will save to - please select Drive D.
    4. Launch Xbox app and go to settings.
    5. Look for general and under Game Install Option, please select Drive D.
    Update us on how it went.

Regards,

Thema:

1. Xbox pc app refuses to install games into specified folder, goes into WindowsApps instead. - Similar Threads - app refuses install

2. Basic Touch Controls on ALL Gamepass App Cloud Games

in XboX Insiders
    Basic Touch Controls on ALL Gamepass App Cloud Games: I love that Basic Touch works with remote play. It has been glorious playing BG3, D4, Harold Halibut all in my bed or even my commute IF the connection is stable enough. But, why cant this just...
  3. How do I include my audio on a friends twitch recording using the Xbox app

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    How do I include my audio on a friends twitch recording using the Xbox app: I’m streaming with a group of friends I use the Xbox app for communicating most nights but stream can’t here due to me not being able to include my audio using the app...
  4. Missing components for the xbox app

in XBoX on Windows
    Missing components for the xbox app: [img] I've tried to update it, repair it, reset it and reinstall it but this pops up everytime I open this app [img] e6eef009-e70c-422d-b54e-e48d85737bda
  5. So I tried gifting my friend darktide through xbox using cash app card and the payment is...

in XBoX Accessibility
    So I tried gifting my friend darktide through xbox using cash app card and the payment is...: So I tried gifting my friend darktide on the xbox using cash app card and the payment is still pending and the gifting errored but it took the money outta the account so I do I just wait or did it...
  6. Xbox app refuses to start need some help.

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox app refuses to start need some help.: So when i start my xbox app i get an error message saying "cant find program" and then i get a black updating screen stuck on 0% Any ideas how to fix this? submitted by /u/CeilingCrawler...
  7. I need help. For some reason my Xbox one refuses to open games and apps.

in XboX Insiders
    I need help. For some reason my Xbox one refuses to open games and apps.: For some reason my 7 (maybe) year old Xbox one won’t start up apps or games saying “for some reason [x] took too long to open”. I tried power restarting it (I think that was the name for it) I...
  8. PC Xbox app refuses to sign me in

in XBoX Accessibility
    PC Xbox app refuses to sign me in: Hello, I keep getting on my windows 11 laptop a white screen when I try to sign in on my pc Xbox app then I wait a few seconds and nothing happens for like sign in pop ups or anything as the app...
  9. My nephews Xbox refuses to connect to the app. It is an existing console, on the same wifi,...

in XBoX on Consoles
    My nephews Xbox refuses to connect to the app. It is an existing console, on the same wifi,...: My nephews Xbox refuses to connect to the app. It is an existing console, on the same wifi, his account is signed in. It is an Xbox one S. 6a2508e6-0b83-4c23-90a9-495fcdb0063c
  10. XBOX app refuses to allow me to switch accounts

in XBoX Accessibility
    XBOX app refuses to allow me to switch accounts: I have separate accounts for windows and XBOX. XBOX app automatically sings me into the Windows account and won't let me switch. Even if I get to the screen that says this is not me, clicking on...