Xbox PC App installed games are gone and "There was a problem load install locations. Try...

Discus and support Xbox PC App installed games are gone and "There was a problem load install locations. Try... in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I recently updated from Windows 10 to Windows 11 on TWO computers and now both of them have this issue after the update. What's happening: Games no... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Claytron_9333, Jun 1, 2023.

1. Xbox PC App installed games are gone and "There was a problem load install locations. Try...

I recently updated from Windows 10 to Windows 11 on TWO computers and now both of them have this issue after the update.

What's happening:

• Games no longer show in the Installed section of the the Xbox app.
    • In Settings > General under "Change where this app installs games by default" it shows this error "There was a problem loading installation locations. Try Again.
    • I can not download any new games (or old ones) it just never starts the download. Stuck at 0%.

What I've done:

Every suggested action in this thread across all 45 replies xbox app has a problem loading installation locations what could be - Microsoft Community

including:

• Removing and re-adding Gaming Services via powershell
    • Reinstalling the xbox app
    • Repairing and Resetting the Xbox, Windows Store and Gaming Services apps
    • Ensured that I'm logged into the correct account in all apps
    • Every other suggestion the thread.
    • I have even done a clean Windows 11 reinstall on one of the computers and after the install the same issue is there. I also formatted the SSD drives during this process.
    Other details

• Windows, Xbox app, Windows Store and Gaming Services are all 100% up to date with the latest updates

There's clearly an issue here given that this is happening on two computers with no common components or configurations between them. One is a Razer laptop and one is a desktop gaming PC.

:)

Claytron_9333, Jun 1, 2023
  2. Claytron_9333 Win User

Xbox PC App installed games are gone and "There was a problem load install locations. Try again." error

Thank you but I have performed all of these steps multiple times before and after doing a full reinstall of the OS. The issue persists.
  3. Claytron_9333 Win User

Xbox PC App installed games are gone and "There was a problem load install locations. Try again." error

Well, I seem to have solved this issue for myself. I actually tried to get MS support but they bounced me around different departments 4-5 times and then after a 30 minute hold, I was disconnected.

Posting here to for anyone who finds it useful in the future.

The only commonality that I found between my two computers with this issue is that they use a SSD for game installs that is not the same as the one that the OS and xbox app run on.

After updating to Windows 11, something about this caused issues for the xbox app. I had some suspicions about this given the text of the error. When I looked into it, Windows/xbox app were now set up to use the SSD that the OS is not (not my gaming SSD) for game and app installs. The games had previously been installed on the gaming SSD. I tried changing back to the gaming SSD but it did not solve the issue (in Settings > System > Storage > Advanced Storage > "Where new content is saved").

Despite being set up to use the OS SSD, the xbox app didn't seem to be writing to it or was unable to connect to it. I could even see that it files in the xbox games folder in the gaming SSD were still being updated somehow based on the file timestamps.

It was as if no matter what I changed, the xbox app was trying to work with the old gaming SSD. So I formatted the old gaming SSD. In the time while it was formatting, the error in the xbox app went away. And as soon as the format was done and the drive was back online, the error came back. Also, the xbox app immediately starting making folders in the SSD that I had just formatted. So regardless of what I changed, it was always trying to use the gaming SSD.

Next I turned off the PC and physically unplugged the gaming SSD. Again, with that SSD gone, the error went away. I plugged it back in and the error came back. Even when it was unplugged and the error was gone, it would not allow me to download games on the OS SSD (it would just put downloads into Pending). During this time I reinstalled the xbox app, gaming services, etc to try to break its obsession with the old gaming SSD. I found an article that pointed me toward registry entries to see where Windows was set up to install apps and games and it said the OS SSD but it would never write there.

So finally I reinstalled the OS on the OS SSD without the Gaming SSD plugged in. From there I was able to use the xbox app without the error and download games to the OS SSD. I plugged in the gaming SSD, formatted it and now I'll use it for Steam, Battle.net, etc but for whatever reason I can not use it with the xbox app without getting the error.

To summarize:

• The issue for me related to games being installed on a different drive from Windows/xbox.
    • Removing the gaming SSD cleared the error but I still couldn't download games to any drive.
    • The only way I could get windows to switch to a different drive was an OS reinstall.
    • I dare not try to use a separate SSD for xbox app games again.
  4. CosmicCraze Win User

Im sorry to hear that may you please kindly Contact Microsoft Support through there Live Chat they'll be able to assist you better with the Current Issue you are facing, They may require you to give them Remote Access to you're Computer so they can find the Issue. You can Contact them Here --->>> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus
  5. CosmicCraze Win User

If you are experiencing issues with your Xbox PC app installed games disappearing and receiving the "There was a problem loading install locations. Try again." error, here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue:

1. Check for updates: Make sure the Xbox app is up to date by going to the Microsoft Store and checking for updates.

2. Restart the Xbox app: Close the app and relaunch it.

3. Restart your computer: Sometimes, a simple restart of your computer can help fix software glitches.

4. Reset the Xbox app: Click on the Start menu and search for "Apps & features". Scroll down to find the Xbox app and click on "Advanced options". Then, click on "Reset" to reset the app to its default settings.

5. Reinstall the Xbox app: If none of the above steps work, uninstall the Xbox app and then reinstall it from the Microsoft Store.

Hopefully, one of these solutions will help you resolve the issue with your Xbox PC app installed games disappearing and the "There was a problem loading install locations. Try again." error.
  6. David Wirsching Win User

A game displaying Error code: (0xc06d007e). Not starting.

Thema:

Xbox PC App installed games are gone and "There was a problem load install locations. Try...

1. Xbox PC App installed games are gone and "There was a problem load install locations. Try... - Similar Threads - App installed games

2. i cant install apps but i can install games and games updates

in XboX Insiders
    i cant install apps but i can install games and games updates: i tried almost everything, heres the list of all i tried three factory resets change dns use phone hotspot offline factory reset with pendrive use another acc to install restart my router...
  3. i can install games but it cant install apps

in XBoX on Windows
    i can install games but it cant install apps: So, basically i cant install apps, when i try to install games like minecraft / fortnite (or another random game) it installs perfectly, but when i try to install any app like youtube / prime...
  4. Why can't I change my default install location for games using the Xbox app on the PC

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why can't I change my default install location for games using the Xbox app on the PC: I want to start by saying I've spent 2.5 hours on the phone with both Xbox support and Windows support regarding this issue. The first person from Xbox support tried everything she had in her...
  5. Xbox App for PC installed games have disappeared / HELP Needed

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox App for PC installed games have disappeared / HELP Needed: Hi so games that i have bought previously i have installed them on my PC using the Xbox App for PC, but as of late whenever i open the Xbox App it is only showing 1 game installed and ready to...
  6. How do i delete a game that says it isn't installed on the Xbox app?

in XBoX on Windows
    How do i delete a game that says it isn't installed on the Xbox app?: I recently downloaded ARK: Survival Evolved last night and this morning i woke up to it not being installed. It had started to download again so Cancelled the install and now its saying that i do...
  7. The Non-Dismissible Notification in Game Bar That Appears When Xbox App Is Not Installed on...

in XboX Insiders
    The Non-Dismissible Notification in Game Bar That Appears When Xbox App Is Not Installed on...: Social widget displays a message reads "Install the Xbox app to get the latest widget updates" at the top of friends list, taking up a considerable amount of the already tight space. The situation...
  8. Xbox App says i have Insufficient storage when installing a game even though i havemore...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox App says i have Insufficient storage when installing a game even though i havemore...: I've just been trying to install Quantum Break from the Xbox pc app with game pass and for some reason it keeps putting an error saying i need to free space even though i have more than enough...
  9. 0x87e0000f error when attempting to install a game pass game from Xbox app or Microsoft Store

in XBoX on Windows
    0x87e0000f error when attempting to install a game pass game from Xbox app or Microsoft Store: Whenever I try to install a game pass game from xbox app or windows store it gets to about 60% before stopping the download with nothing but "error code: 0x87e0000f". I've been looking all day for...
  10. Xbox app keeps automatically trying to install games on new pc

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox app keeps automatically trying to install games on new pc: Good morning, afternoon, evening, Recently I have moved to a new system, couple of extra spare drives moved over but other than that a fresh setup on windows 11 pro with a new main SSD. Since...