XBOX PC APP game and Defender Ransomware Protected Folders - how to make them coexist?

Discus and support XBOX PC APP game and Defender Ransomware Protected Folders - how to make them coexist? in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I have enabled protection from ransomware in Windows 10 Defender or whatever it's called in English and pretty much every time i run a game from PC... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by eloyard, Jan 1, 2022.

  1. eloyard
    eloyard Guest

    XBOX PC APP game and Defender Ransomware Protected Folders - how to make them coexist?


    I have enabled protection from ransomware in Windows 10 Defender or whatever it's called in English and pretty much every time i run a game from PC Xbox app it's a toss of a coin if it works or not, because PC Xbox game store apps seem to be running from some fake paths "Device\HarddiskVolumeXX" where XX is a consecutive number.

    Whenever i add the new path as safe it's a day or two and again it's blocked, because it attempts to run from "different location" and obviously wants to have access to some folders i would like to be protected like My Documents / Saves / Games.

    Tried asking as antivirus question - didn't work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/xbox-pc-app-game-and-defender-ransomware-protected/3ef1ab59-e363-43c4-8915-0b26a702d285

    :)
     
    eloyard, Jan 1, 2022
    #1
  2. Farscape247 Win User

    XBOX PC APP game and Defender Ransomware Protected Folders - how to make them coexist?

    a lot of the xbox app games use virtual disks, you can see these in device manager as xvd

    the xbox app folders are encrypted and if a third party program is messing with that then the games will not start.
  3. Nursemorph Win User

    XBOX PC APP game and Defender Ransomware Protected Folders - how to make them coexist?

    I think they were more pointing to you saying that you should disable all firewalls whilst you are gaming.

    Anti-virus: When I gamed on my PC, I had Windows Defender installed and never disabled it whilst gaming...though I never had it running real-time scanning etc. However, these days, the way developers (especially MS/Xbox ones) are messing with their network connections, then disabling AV would be recommended anyway.

    Firewall: I'm fairly lax when it comes to internet security but even I wouldn't disable my PCs firewall, no matter what my router was set to. And a lot of people wouldn't even know what a DMZ is, let alone how to enable it...so advising people to disable their firewall is a little irresponsible to be honest
  4. ngocphi Win User

    XBOX PC APP game and Defender Ransomware Protected Folders - how to make them coexist?

    Not really DMZ nothing else should be running unless you have a bad tendency to browse when you game which case you are asking for it

    You gotta remember antivirus isn't supposed to be running while you game

    You are talking about dropped framerates to taking up valuable resource while you game this includes doing stuff you aren't supposed to while you gam

    This is troubleshooting 101

    Every game company will tell you this

    You arent supposed to be running anti virus while you game

    Unless you are pirating which case you already let the virus in at that point

    Should always scan your files you download

    There is a reason why the xbox files are encrypted

    None supposed to tamper with those files

    Antivirus wouldn't know ehat to do with encrypted files anyways
  5. eloyard Win User

    XBOX PC APP game and Defender Ransomware Protected Folders - how to make them coexist?

    That's not a solution, but workaround.

    Pretty dangerous too, if you use the machine for anything more than gaming (i.e. web browsing, IM, mail, online shopping, web banking...).
  6. Obsessive Power Win User

    XBOX PC APP game and Defender Ransomware Protected Folders - how to make them coexist?

    Most of the games that are available on Game-Pass for PC are already protected and encrypted, there is no need to try to protect them from Ransomware. These are not the type of Windows folders that Ransomware looks at locking out anyway, there's no point to it.

    Indeed, there's no real point protecting any games folders from other providers such as Steam, GoG or Origin either.

    Ransomware is programmed by criminals to make money. They attempt to do this mostly by encrypting your personal files and pictures or even your entire OS. There's no point targeting game folders.
Thema:

XBOX PC APP game and Defender Ransomware Protected Folders - how to make them coexist?

Loading...
  1. XBOX PC APP game and Defender Ransomware Protected Folders - how to make them coexist? - Similar Threads - APP game Defender

  2. October 5, 2026 - PC Gaming Preview - XBOX PC App [2610.1001.10.0] & Game Bar for Windows...

    in XboX Insiders
    October 5, 2026 - PC Gaming Preview - XBOX PC App [2610.1001.10.0] & Game Bar for Windows...: Hey XBOX Insiders! A new version of the XBOX PC App on Windows has been released for users enrolled in the PC Gaming Preview. Check the release notes linked below to learn more: October 5, 2026 -...
  3. I've not been able to use games and apps for over a month now - ongoing issue

    in XboX Insiders
    I've not been able to use games and apps for over a month now - ongoing issue: OP: https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxinsiders/comments/1vst1bu/games_and_apps_crashes_when_navigating_to_full/ I am on skip-ahead 10.0.26100.9620 The bug occurs on all rings and production build,...
  4. Hey why do some of my games and apps on my dashboard dim when I scroll over them. Not the...

    in XboX Insiders
    Hey why do some of my games and apps on my dashboard dim when I scroll over them. Not the...: When I go to select an app some dim and some don't. They all work nothings updating but some dim and I don't know why? submitted by /u/KalElKent821 [link] [comments]
  5. October 1, 2026 - PC Gaming Preview - XBOX PC App [2610.1001.8.0] & Game Bar for Windows...

    in XboX Insiders
    October 1, 2026 - PC Gaming Preview - XBOX PC App [2610.1001.8.0] & Game Bar for Windows...: Hey XBOX Insiders! A new version of the XBOX PC App on Windows has been released for users enrolled in the PC Gaming Preview. Check the release notes linked below to learn more: October 1, 2026 -...
  6. September 29, 2026 - PC Gaming Preview - XBOX PC App [2610.1001.5.0] & Game Bar for Windows...

    in XboX Insiders
    September 29, 2026 - PC Gaming Preview - XBOX PC App [2610.1001.5.0] & Game Bar for Windows...: Hey XBOX Insiders! A new version of the XBOX PC App on Windows has been released for users enrolled in the PC Gaming Preview. Check the release notes linked below to learn more: September 29,...
  7. Xbox game updates not showing in Games & Apps > Updates

    in XboX Insiders
    Xbox game updates not showing in Games & Apps > Updates: Hey, I’ve been having an issue on Xbox where game updates no longer show up under Games & Apps > Updates. The weird thing is that when I launch a game that has an update available, I can see that...
  8. Unwanted games appearing in Games & Apps section

    in XboX Insiders
    Unwanted games appearing in Games & Apps section: How can I permanently hide games from my games and apps that I don’t have installed? Since the last update, I have several games appearing in that list but they aren’t installed and I don’t wish...
  9. September 25, 2026 - PC Gaming Preview - XBOX PC App [2610.1001.4.0] & Game Bar for Windows...

    in XboX Insiders
    September 25, 2026 - PC Gaming Preview - XBOX PC App [2610.1001.4.0] & Game Bar for Windows...: Hey XBOX Insiders! A new version of the XBOX PC App on Windows has been released for users enrolled in the PC Gaming Preview. Check the release notes linked below to learn more: September 25,...
  10. My games and apps showing more things then I do

    in XboX Insiders
    My games and apps showing more things then I do: Is this a bug ? Or is this a setting somewhere I can’t remove them and I only have 4 of these installed and when I go to uninstall it doesn’t work But shows I have like 10 games on that list...

Users found this page by searching for:

  1. PCAPPGAME