Xbox One X Sound - Optical does not work

Discus and support Xbox One X Sound - Optical does not work in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, I decided to switch from headphones to a surround sound set up on the one X and I want to use optical as the hdmi is going direct to a monitor... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by OneXxbox, Feb 15, 2022.

1. OneXxbox
    OneXxbox Guest

Hi,

I decided to switch from headphones to a surround sound set up on the one X and I want to use optical as the hdmi is going direct to a monitor

Going by the forums this worked no problem for years but on the latest console firmwares there seems to be issues

I have ruled out the optical cable being at fault and the AV auto connects to Optical when connected to the Xbox so I know there is no issue there and that confirms the connection

What I see is when I try to change the optical audio setting from off within General - Volume & audio output I can see Stereo Uncompressed, Dolby Digital, DTS and Headset Format

But when I select any of these options I get the following error message that other forum members are getting

"Choose a different setting

If you're using Xbox series X/s, note that HDMI audio can't be turned off. On other consoles, either optical or HDMI audio must be on. (0x80bd0009)" with a single option to close the message

"I have tried turning off hdmi first"

when I back out of the audio setting page and return to it the optical setting has been turned off again

I believe this has occured via a firmware update at some point as earlier forum posts did not see this issue

Also there was a bitstream option previously with Optical and it has since been removed

I updated to the latest firmware and the problem still exists

My AV supports all audio formats so the issue does not lie there

Can someone have a look at this as it was not resolved for previous member posts either so it is obviously not an isolated event which makes me believe it is software related

Thanks

:)

OneXxbox, Feb 15, 2022
  2. PoshSmith Win User

Unexplained loss of audio.

Hi I have same issue with Apple app and Amazon Prime. I disabled ‘Allow Pass through’ on advanced audio settings and it got sound working. Note I have Xbox One X with an optical connection to a sound bar. My sound bar does not have HDMI port. This might work for you if your using an optical cable for your sound set up.
  3. L4c3rd4 Win User

Hello dear Gamer, first it's a pleasure to be able to help you today.

My name is Vinicius.

I am a gamer and independent advisor on the XBOX community platform.

Hey OneXxbox, how are you today? Hope you're well.

This started to happen after a software update on your One X?

That's odd.

Try this on your console:

First, clean the cache of your console that way:

1. With the console turned on, hold the XBOX power button on the console for 10 seconds until you hear a small sound.

2. Wait 10 seconds.

3. Turn it back on.

Note: It may take a while for it to turn on, don't worry, it's normal.

Then, restore your console keeping the games and apps:

***IMPORTANT*** If you share accounts with someone, you will have to redo the process of placing the account as the main one again, be aware of the chances you still have to do this, as Microsoft makes available per year, only 5 chances so you can make some account your console's main account.

1. Press the Xbox button to open the dashboard.

2. Select System > Settings > System > Console Information >

3. Select Reset console > Restore and keep my games and apps.

4. When asked to pull settings from an old Xbox, choose no, thanks

5. You will have to log in to your accounts again, and when you sign in with your account, make sure you turn it has your home console also, that's it.

NOTE: Rest assured, you won't lose games or saves

If that doesn't work, try to offline update your console to replace that recent update you made.

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/hardware-ne...

In the link above go to the tab: "Download OSU1 System Offline Update File"
  4. Divine Hero Win User

Digital audio out problem

EggsBoxJuan, no. Just the optical line. I've never had them connected.

eGz x KorSakoff, the TV isn't involved. It doesn't have an optical out, only the Xbox 360 does. Before, it worked. Now it doesn't. The TV does have sound so I know it's not the Xbox's fault for not putting out sound. Before the TV and surround sound
    system would put out sound at the same time, but now it's just the TV.
  5. ll EV ll Win User

Xbox one has no sound on tv or av receiver, Using older TV.. Help??

Are trying to get your xbox one sound on your tv? Or your tv sound on the xbox one? If it's tv sound on xbox one through the optical port that does not work as the xbox one is an output only.

If you are trying to get xbox one sound on your tv. When you go to sound settings what do you have selected for optical output? Try "stereo uncompressed" sound if you have not tried this alread. Your receiver might not be able to handle the other options.
  6. jackraiden2 Win User

Xbox Series X - no optical audio port?

Yes, I use the optical out too with my one x.

Was considering of series x but without optical out , the sound wont be great for me.
Thema:

1. Xbox One X Sound - Optical does not work - Similar Threads - Sound Optical does

2. My Xbox won't turn on at all but I hear a ringing sound

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox won't turn on at all but I hear a ringing sound: So I went to turn on my Xbox series x and it won't turn on but I hear this ringing noise from inside my console if anybody have any idea to fix this I'll appreciate I read some things online about...
  3. Xbox series x. No sound at all through TV speakers

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series x. No sound at all through TV speakers: I just bought the x series 5 days ago and from the beginning I have never had any sound through the TV. Tried multiple times to change hdmi, restart the TV and Xbox. Nothing. On the audio...
  4. Why does sound only come from one external speaker when using the optical output?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does sound only come from one external speaker when using the optical output?: I have a pair of speakers plugged into my Xbox One S using the optical port and sound only comes out one side. I’ve already verified that both speakers do work. I’ve tried changing a few settings...
  5. bad sound on xbox wireless headphones

in XBoX on Consoles
    bad sound on xbox wireless headphones: I have the Microsoft Xbox Wireless Headset - Wireless Headset Edition. I am very impressed with the sound while using them on my Win11 laptop and My Andoroid phone. However they absolutely suck on...
  6. Sound went out Forza 8 Xbox x

in XBoX on Consoles
    Sound went out Forza 8 Xbox x: Was in the middle of racing a game all of a sudden. The sound just went out. All other games and apps work fine can hear in game chat from other people. But no engine sound, no nothing. No TV...
  7. My sound on my Xbox won't work

in XBoX on Consoles
    My sound on my Xbox won't work: When i turn on the Xbox it seams like my TV is on mute but its not Idk what's wrong with it 8ee52d37-429c-4e04-a245-2546aca48f30
  8. Xbox wireless adapter - Poor sound quality

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox wireless adapter - Poor sound quality: Why is this issue being ignored? People have been posting about this for over 2 years now and still no fixed?...
  9. Why does my Xbox game chat work but no game audio or sounds

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my Xbox game chat work but no game audio or sounds: I just got the Astro A10 headset and have tried every way I could possibly find and think of. I just then managed to get the mic to work when spoken into and can hear other people in the Xbox...
  10. Sound Suttering XSX + LG C2 - Beta Ring

in XboX Insiders
    Sound Suttering XSX + LG C2 - Beta Ring: Has anyone been having intermittent sound stuttering lately? For at least a month and a half in any game, app or movie there is occasional stutter/choppiness with the sound. I'm on a LG C2,...