Xbox One X not outputting Dolby Atmos to TV

Discus and support Xbox One X not outputting Dolby Atmos to TV in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I have an Xbox One X connected directly to a TCL C835 TV. Tried all HDMI ports on the TV and multiple HDMI 2.1 capable cables. Tried standard and... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Lee Faai, Jun 4, 2023.

1. Lee Faai
    Lee Faai Guest

I have an Xbox One X connected directly to a TCL C835 TV. Tried all HDMI ports on the TV and multiple HDMI 2.1 capable cables. Tried standard and enhanced HDMI modes on the TV. Confirmed all sound settings on the TV are correct for Atmos. The Xbox One X is not outputting Dolby Atmos to the TV at all. The Dolby Atmos for home theatre option does not appear in the Xbox One X sound settings. The TV supports Dolby Atmos and I have plugged in a Google Chromecast to the HDMI ports and confirmed the TV can receive a Dolby Atmos signal with a different external device. When I plug my Xbox One X directly to my Pioneer amplifier or LG soundbar it can output Dolby Atmos correctly. This confirms the Xbox One X is capable of outputting Dolby Atmos to other devices but for some reason doesn't like my TV. I would prefer to connect the Xbox One X directly to the TV for ALLM and VRR which work fine. I think this is a Microsoft issue as I have fully ruled out my hardware from being the cause. If it was a TCL issue I would be experiencing the same thing with other external HDMI devices too.

:)

Lee Faai, Jun 4, 2023
  2. The_Rebel_Dons Win User

Netflix Not Outputting Dolby Atmos On Xbox One

I have the same problem on Xbox X and XBox One. I’m using the Denon AVR-X 2700H 7.2 channel Dolby Atmos receiver with the XBox X, and the Yamaha RXV-6A 7.2 channel Dolby Atmos receiver with the Xbox One. Both receivers were working normally outputting Atmos on Netflix until November 2022. Disney+ and Amazon Prime play Atmos content on both devices without issue, hence indicating that the problem is not with the 4K TV and 4K projector, nor receivers.
  3. NeedABeer2Play Win User

Atmos only outputs Multichannel

So after following up with the Dolby Access support team, apparently games aren't supported on home theater, only on headphones:

"Unfortunately, Games encoded with Dolby Atmos audio are not compatible with Dolby Atmos for Home Theater, as they are specifically configured for Dolby Atmos for Headphones. If the content you are experiencing is not compatible with the app you are
    using, then audio will cease, or will simply output as regular stereo output.

To clarify, Dolby Atmos for Home Theater is included at no charge with any Dolby Atmos supported hardware, such as a receiver or Xbox One X, and is used to activate Dolby Atmos features via HDMI connection for a Dolby Atmos certified AVR, soundbar,
    or TV."

"Unfortunately, the version of Dolby Atmos included with your Xbox is Dolby Atmos for Home Theater, which is not compliant with any gaming content."

It kind of strikes me as hard to believe, or that this won't be addressed, but that's what they're saying for now. That said, it still isn't working for me for Netflix content either, so I'm going continue troubleshooting with them and see what's doable
    and what's not. Fingers crossed.
  4. bolshoishalopai Win User

Xbox One X Dolby Atmos not working

My Xbox One X is connected to my receiver. When I try to setup Atmos in the audio settings Xbox One X says that my receiver, Denon AVR-4300H, does not have Atmos capability. I am only allowed to choose DTS for the bitstream sound output. Atmos works fine
    with my Samsung 4K player so I know it is an Xbox One X issue.

The Dolby App does not give any error until I try to view the demo videos where it flashes, "you are not viewing this video on Dolby Atmos." It plays the demo video on DTS instead.
    ***UPDATE***

I finally got Dolby Atmos to work!!! Under "Settings, Display & Sound, Volume, Setup TV & AV Control, Audio" I had to change the default "Stereo" setting to "Surround Sound." The Xbox One X had to reboot to accept/change the setting. Once it rebooted Dolby
    Atmos was working. It is interesting that the main control will be under the volume settings instead of audio output. You would think the system will be smart enough to activate surround sound when you are choosing Dolby Atmos to bitstream.

Hopefully this "difficult to find" change of setting will work for others who are having Dolby Atmos issues.
  5. EggsBoxJuan Win User

Dolby atmos not working on Xbox one x

6. SteeleWake Win User

Xbox Series X November Update broken sound.

Issue has been reported multiple times by many people as indicated in this and few other threads (reddit, xbox forums, etc). I myself have opened several tickets (currently have one ongoing now) on the issue and yet it still hasn't been resolved. I have also created help tickets with Dolby Access Support, and their responses continue to be that it is a Microsoft issue in how it is outputting Dolby Atmos. Summary of my issues is below:

- Bitstream audio out no longer an option in the HDMI output settings. In the November 2021 update on the Xbox Series X, the audio settings page was changed and unfortunately the option to output bitstream audio was removed. Despite the many issues this has caused, Microsoft still has not fixed the issue. Please bring back the bitstream/lossless output formats instead of forcing PCM only.

- Despite Dolby Atmos being selected as shown in the picture, the Xbox is outputting PCM 'multichannel audio' instead of Atmos (receiver display shown in lower portion of picture). This appears to be causing delays/hiccups in the HDMI handshake process as whatever PCM signal is being sent is not fully correct and the receiver bounces between seeing multichannel audio and dolby atmos until finally settling on multichannel audio. To my earlier comment, being able to pass true bitstream dolby atmos audio to the receiver should eliminate this issue.

- I have the Xbox Series X running to the AVR and then to the TV in order to have access to all the audio formats. When I tried to run the Xbox directly to the TV and then audio over eArc to the receiver, the Xbox will only output PCM Stereo, Dolby Digital or Dolby Atmos. I have tested the TV/receiver and they are able to pass other formats (such as DTS:X) over eArc so it is an Xbox issue of not allowing all the formats to be output (possibly related to bistream vs PCM also?).
Thema:

1. Xbox One X not outputting Dolby Atmos to TV - Similar Threads - outputting Dolby Atmos

2. Why does sound only come from one external speaker when using the optical output?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does sound only come from one external speaker when using the optical output?: I have a pair of speakers plugged into my Xbox One S using the optical port and sound only comes out one side. I’ve already verified that both speakers do work. I’ve tried changing a few settings...
  3. Xbox One S has no output, can't do offline update.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One S has no output, can't do offline update.: My Xbox One S console was previously shut off during an update. (It hung in the middle of the update for multiple hours). I followed the guide for doing an offline update, but I can't get into the...
  4. Sound not outputting through rear speakers or subwoofer

in XBoX on Consoles
    Sound not outputting through rear speakers or subwoofer: Hello, I have a Vizio 5.1 Soundbar system plugged into my TV through the eARC HDMI, then my XBox Series X plugged into the TV as well through a different HDMI port. When I am setting up my XBox...
  5. Monitor not reading HDMI output

in XBoX on Consoles
    Monitor not reading HDMI output: Hello, I've been using my computer for about four years, and the monitor has recently started freezing regularly. It will freeze, and then the monitor will go black and say there is no HDMI...
  6. Xbox One S is showing only black and white output, no colour!

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One S is showing only black and white output, no colour!: my Xbox One S is showing only black and white output. tried few options, but nothing seems to work. The TV is in good condition and the cables are fine . some have said about soft reboot, hard...
  7. Waves Maxx Audio Pro not detecting any output device

in XBoX on Consoles
    Waves Maxx Audio Pro not detecting any output device: I think some windows update caused this or something. Basically my headset which has a built in microphone is plugged into the headphone jack of my laptop. When it is plugged in it should show...
  8. Xbox usb power output

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox usb power output: I have been trying to find out what the power output (voltage and amps) is on xbox series X/S for ages but can't find an answer anywhere. adabc1ae-07c5-4936-9fd8-eec4346ec73e
  9. My left and bottom buttons on my D-Pad need very precise presses to send output. How do I...

in XBoX on Consoles
    My left and bottom buttons on my D-Pad need very precise presses to send output. How do I...: I'm using an Xbox One S controller. I have tried to wipe them and it only fixed it for a short matter of time. Can somebody please tell me your method of fixing this?...
  10. Xbox Series X not outputting Dolby Atmos for 4k Blurays

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox Series X not outputting Dolby Atmos for 4k Blurays: My receiver tells me the audio format that it is receiving from components. It says Dolby Atmos from my Xbox Series X when I play games and stream Netflix. However, when I put in a 4k Bluray and...