Xbox One Wireless Controller Not Downloading Drivers On Windows 7

Discus and support Xbox One Wireless Controller Not Downloading Drivers On Windows 7 in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I recently purchased a new Xbox One, which came with one of the new wireless controllers (with the 3.5 mm headphone jack). I have updated the... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by AM27, Dec 27, 2015.

1. AM27
    AM27 Guest

I recently purchased a new Xbox One, which came with one of the new wireless controllers (with the 3.5 mm headphone jack). I have updated the controller to the latest firmware using my Xbox One console. I am trying to use it on my Windows 7 PC, but I could
    not find the drivers either automatically or manually through the Device Manager. However, the installation of drivers worked with my Windows 10 PC. Has anyone else encountered this issue/have any idea how to fix it?

:)

2. Mister Maka
    Mister Maka Guest
    Xbox One Controller Not Working On Windows 7 Pro

Hey there!

Check out the steps over on this page to
    Connect Xbox Wireless Controller to Windows 7 PC
    . If you're unable to manually update the drivers, there is also a link in that troubleshooter to manually download the drivers.

Mister Maka, Dec 27, 2015
  3. Xbox one wireless adapter for windows 7

I'm having the same issue on Windows 7 Ultimate. I uninstalled and re-installed the drivers twice already. The controller is detected on the test page under Devices and Printers>Game Controller Settings but not in-game unless I use a direct wired connection.
    On Windows 10 Pro, however, I don't have any issues with the wireless adapter. I spent a lot of money on these controllers and I am already thinking about returning them, because I have had a lot of hassles on Windows 7(with the drivers not downloading after
    hours of searching and not working when it finally did download the drivers).

ScarletEwe6541, Dec 27, 2015
  4. drschmidt85
    drschmidt85 Guest

You can find the driver manually here:
    catalog.update.microsoft.com/.../search.aspx

Download the Wireless Adapter driver, Generic Controller - Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows driver. The 1.8mb archive is for 64bit (the file itself is labelled AMD64) and the 1.7mb archive is for 32bit. Extract the driver from the cab file to a folder
    and then manually try to update it within Device Manager.

Go to Device Manager and insert your Xbox Wireless Adapter, find it under Network Adapters. Right click it and select update driver software. Point it to the folder where you extracted the Wireless Adapter driver.

This fixed it for me and it's working great. The vibration feature works too, best of all no bluescreens. Really do hope I've helped rather than just taking up space.

drschmidt85, Jan 1, 2016
  5. Mister Maka Win User

Xbox One Controller Not Working On Windows 7 Pro

6. Obsessive Power Win User

Xbox One controller doesn't work with Windows 7 laptop

the answer is it is a wireless controller they dont work with the usb charging cable ive tried it on windows 7 and 10 you need a proper wired controller apparently.
    That's true for 360 controllers, but not Xbox One. The Xbox One controllers work wired and via wireless on PC. My wiress controllers all work fine via the micro USB cable on my PC.

Windows 7 doesn't come with drivers built in to the OS though, they may need need to be downloaded manually if Windows update isn't picking up the controller.
  7. Bazajaytee Win User

Xbox 360 Controller does not work on my PC ?

I am guessing the controller is a wired controller as the Wireless controller with Wireless PC adapter comes with drivers on a DVD in the box which work with Windows 8 (I use them myself).

As mentioned earlier by IceStorm III, a wireless controller with a Play and Charge kit won't work as that play and charge kit only carries power to charge/run a wireless controller with your Xbox 360.

If it is indeed a wired Xbox 360 controller you are trying to use with Windows 8 you can use the Windows 7 drivers which you can download here:

www.microsoft.com/.../xbox-360-controller-for-windows
  8. Obsessive Power Win User

Controller Drivers

Hi,

There are two versions of the Xbox One controller drivers for Windows 8.1, one for 64-bit Windows versions and one for 32-bit versions (sometimes know as X86). These used to be available on the Microsoft website, but not anymore.

Microsoft haven't removed these drivers, they only removed the ability to download them via the Microsoft website. They only way to download the Xbox One Controller driver for Windows 8.1 is via Windows Update. Normally, the drivers for an Xbox One controller
    should download automatically once the controller is connected via a Micro USB cable.

Windows 8.1 and Windows 7

When you connect an Xbox Wireless Controller to your Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 PC with a micro-USB cable, Windows will automatically download and install the drivers for the controller. If Windows is not
    set to automatically download device software, you can check for updates through Device Manager.

Update drivers through Device Manager

Here’s how to check for updates manually in the Device Manager:

1. Point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, and then select
      Search.
    2. Enter Device Manager in the search box, and then select
      Device Manager

Note Windows may ask you for an administrator password or to confirm your choice.
    3. Locate and expand Microsoft Xbox One Controller.
    4. Right-click the expanded Microsoft Xbox One Controller and select
      Update Driver Software.
    5. Select Search Automatically for Updated Software.
  9. Obsessive Power Win User

What happened to the Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows?

I think I've seen some knock off gaming receivers doing the rounds on the Internet, can't be sure though. You could always buy one and then sell the controller to a friend to get some of the money back. Other than that, there is no other wireless option.

You can buy a standard wired Xbox controller, no need to buy the GFW controller. The only difference between the two is that the one for PC's comes with a driver disc. But you can download the drivers off the net anyway. If you're running Windows Vista,
    7 or Windows 8, the driver will download automatically.

Don't bother with a 'play and charge cable' as all the cable does is charge the wireless pad, it won't turn a wireless controller into a wired one. Just in case you were wondering.
Thema:

1. Xbox One Wireless Controller Not Downloading Drivers On Windows 7 - Similar Threads - Wireless Controller Downloading

2. Xbox Elite Wireless Series 2 Controller Warranty Repair

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Elite Wireless Series 2 Controller Warranty Repair: Hi, I'm trying to get an Xbox Elite Wireless Series 2 Controller Repaired thats In warranty. But when the site askes me to "Select shipping address to see available service options" It then...
  3. Why won't my Xbox Wireless Controller turn on all of a sudden?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why won't my Xbox Wireless Controller turn on all of a sudden?: We got a new Xbox Series S back in February and the controller that came with it was working very well.. Until recently. For some reason, the controller now won't turn on instantly and no matter...
  4. Xbox Series X Wireless Controller Only Charging to 15% On PC

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X Wireless Controller Only Charging to 15% On PC: Hello, my Xbox Series X Wireless Controller recently started only charging up to 15% when I plug it into my PC. I do not own an actual console to troubleshoot on there. Additionally, the...
  5. xbox wireless controller problem

in XboX Insiders
    xbox wireless controller problem: my xbox wireless controller cant disconnect on my pc. ive been having this issue for like 2 months on my pc now. the surprising thing is that when i try to connect the controller on my laptop, it...
  6. Xbox Wireless Controller Elite Series 2 - Warranty / Customs issue

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Wireless Controller Elite Series 2 - Warranty / Customs issue: Hello everyone, I have an issue about warranty replacement. I sent my controller for repair / service on 26.04.24 but due to stock issues Microsoft send new one from Germany to Turkey to my...
  7. my controller is connecting to the Xbox wireless adaptor, but is not being registered on my pc

in XBoX on Consoles
    my controller is connecting to the Xbox wireless adaptor, but is not being registered on my pc: Hello. I have juts had this issue where my controller juts randomly disconnected from my pc. it's still pairing with the wireless adaptor i have put i just doesn't work with any games or is not...
  8. cant connect wireless rockband 4 xbox one controller to pc

in XBoX on Windows
    cant connect wireless rockband 4 xbox one controller to pc: bought a wireless jaguar xbox one, rockband 4 guitar. im trying to use it for fortnite but it wont connect to my pc. ive updated the driver on the guitar so it can work but it doesnt. i bought a...
  9. My Xbox wireless controller won’t connect to my Xbox at all

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox wireless controller won’t connect to my Xbox at all: I have fully charged batteries and have hard reset my controller and Xbox I also tried it with a different Xbox and it did not work a8ec90cf-7511-4aaf-a7c3-ad48c8068c18
  10. Xbox controller can't connect to Microsoft Wireless USB?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox controller can't connect to Microsoft Wireless USB?: I have a new Microsoft Wireless USB for windows 10. It seems to light and flash when pressing the button. On the other hand, my Xbox controller can't connect to the USB instantly. I tried hard...