XBox One wifi does not connect when wifi router has MAC filter enabled

Discus and support XBox One wifi does not connect when wifi router has MAC filter enabled in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I just received my XBox one for Christmas and after setting everything up I started the download process only to have issues connecting to my home... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by NickSoles, Dec 28, 2015.

1. NickSoles
    NickSoles Guest

I just received my XBox one for Christmas and after setting everything up I started the download process only to have issues connecting to my home wireless network. The downloads failed and the XBox would not communicate with my wireless router. After reading
    some posts and trying a few things I come to find that the only way to get my XBox to work with my wireless router is if I disable the MAC address filtering feature. There are two issues with having to do this. 1) I use MAC address filtering as a security
    feature to protect my home network from people trying to access my Wifi router. 2) I can't believe that Microsoft would release a system that has an issue such as this. Someone at Microsoft needs to address this issue and provide a fix for it. As always Microsoft
    puts out a product that will allow hackers to penetrate a persons system and network Microsoft has never cared about protecting it's customers at all. It's a miracle that they have not been sued in all these years for putting out products such as operating
    systems, phones, and game consoles with weak security features. Now they want us to open up our home networks by lower security standard to allow hackers to come in and access our networks all because Microsoft does not support MAC address filtering on Wifi
    routers. I guess I will be returning this nonsense and get a PS4

:)

NickSoles, Dec 28, 2015
  2. Meeetchy
    Meeetchy Guest
    NEED SERIOUS HELP PLZ!!!!!

All of a sudden my xbox one wouldnt connect to my wifi but my iphone was doing fine on wifi. This frustrated me and i went accessed the router on my phone. I *** up and enabled mac filtering and now i cant connect my phone, xbox, and i cant access
    the website on LTE on iphone. HELP PLZ!!!!!

Meeetchy, Dec 28, 2015
  3. Meeetchy
    Meeetchy Guest
    NEED SERIOUS HELP PLZ!!!!

All of a sudden my xbox one wouldnt connect to my wifi but my iphone was doing fine on wifi. This frustrated me and i went accessed the router on my phone. I *** up and enabled mac filtering and now i cant connect my phone, xbox, and i cant access
    the website on LTE on iphone. HELP PLZ!!!!

Meeetchy, Dec 28, 2015
  4. vypr07
    vypr07 Guest

You should be able to just add your Xbox One's MAC address to your router's filter list.

vypr07, Dec 29, 2015
  5. KindGryphon
    KindGryphon Guest
    As the above poster said if your using mac address filtering the you MUST add the xboxs mac address to your routers whitelist. By the way the ps4 will work the same way. With ANY device if you dont put its mac address into the whitelist it WILL NOT connect
    to your wireless network

KindGryphon, Dec 29, 2015
  6. {Parity}
    {Parity} Guest
    If you have your console's MAC address added to the list of device authorized to connect to your network and it still doesn't work try clearing the alt MAC address.

Settings>Network>Advanced Settings>Alternate MAC Address>Clear>And then reboot console when prompted.

Good Luck!

{Parity}, Oct 31, 2018
  7. KindGryphon Win User

As the above poster said if your using mac address filtering the you MUST add the xboxs mac address to your routers whitelist. By the way the ps4 will work the same way. With ANY device if you dont put its mac address into the whitelist it WILL NOT connect
    to your wireless network
  8. vypr07 Win User

You should be able to just add your Xbox One's MAC address to your router's filter list.
  9. {Parity} Win User

If you have your console's MAC address added to the list of device authorized to connect to your network and it still doesn't work try clearing the alt MAC address.

Settings>Network>Advanced Settings>Alternate MAC Address>Clear>And then reboot console when prompted.

Good Luck!
  10. Arminator Win User

ClearAccess SR 300N: How to filter a MAC address

If you check the configuration of your router, you might find a setting where you can set up the WiFi network to only allow certain devices according to their MAC address.

Depending on your router model, you might find that setting under the WiFi settings or the security settings.

I recommend to disable MAC filtering.

If you didn't have MAC filtering enabled in your router, the console might erroneously detect that. Try to connect the console through an ethernet cable for testing purposes. If that works, disconnect the cable, and try to search for WiFi networks again.

Make sure that you enter the passphrase for your WiFi correctly, as this is not a password that denies you access to the WiFi, but is instead a passphrase used to decrypt the encrypted WiFi traffic. So you could still connect to your WiFi with a wrong passphrase
    on some routers, but the console will only receive encrypted data garbage.
  11. BobMcFly247 Win User

NEED SERIOUS HELP PLZ!!!!!

So if you locked yourself out of your router by enabling MAC filtering without properly configuring it there are only two ways for you to get back access to it.

1. Connect the One wired and access your router with the Internet Explorer of your One and disable it. MAC filtering usually only affects WiFi connections, but not wired ones.

2. Reset your router to factory defaults. I can not provide your with details on that. Contact your ISP or router manufacturer on this.
Thema:

1. XBox One wifi does not connect when wifi router has MAC filter enabled - Similar Threads - wifi does connect

2. Xbox one will not conect to wifi or any network - it does not see any networks.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one will not conect to wifi or any network - it does not see any networks.: So, I am not very smart when it comes to technology and this is my boyfriends Xbox One that is not working. He has had this for years and it has worked perfectly until the last couple of days. It...
  3. Why does my Xbox disconnect from 5g WiFi when I’m downloading games?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my Xbox disconnect from 5g WiFi when I’m downloading games?: When I am downloading a game, my Xbox will hold a 105+ mbps download speed. But starting a couple of months ago, my Xbox randomly disconnects from the WiFi only when I’m downloading games. Does...
  4. Why does my Xbox One say "UPnP Not Successful" if the wifi is fine?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my Xbox One say "UPnP Not Successful" if the wifi is fine?: Ever since I got a new wifi router my Xbox One always says "UPnP not successful" even though the wifi and all other devices using it are perfectly fine. I tried multiple things: Hard resetting the...
  5. Why does my xbox usually take 5 minutes to connect to WiFi

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my xbox usually take 5 minutes to connect to WiFi: My Xbox takes 10-30 minutes to connect to the internet. All other devices in the house are connected to the same WiFi and working. But everytime I get on my Xbox it can’t connect to the internet....
  6. Why does the Xbox series X lose WiFi connection capability when the console power shuts off?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why does the Xbox series X lose WiFi connection capability when the console power shuts off?: Hello, I bought the series X last week and I have had constant issues with Xbox not connecting to the WiFi, after it was set up, when I start the system. Absolutely nothing changes. The system...
  7. Console refuses to recognize any wifi, and does not connect to internet after recent update.

in XboX Insiders
    Console refuses to recognize any wifi, and does not connect to internet after recent update.: My Series X 9/10 times, will not display any local area wifi networks, in the 1/10 times it does, and I enter the password for our wifi, it says it cannot connect to the internet. I'm unsure of...
  8. My xbox series s does not want to connect to my wifi but connects to other WiFi I don't...

in XBoX on Consoles
    My xbox series s does not want to connect to my wifi but connects to other WiFi I don't...: I need help to fix this problem 2380e82f-b21e-4d8f-841c-7c8145962412
  9. My Xbox does not detect any wifi

in XBoX Games and Apps
    My Xbox does not detect any wifi: My Xbox does not detect any wifi network and even with cable I don't have internet. What can I try? 8264a1be-3030-41ad-ac0e-d2fba7b5492c
  10. why does my xbox only connect to the wifi through wired and not wireless ?

in XBoX on Consoles
    why does my xbox only connect to the wifi through wired and not wireless ?: we recently transferred with virgin wifi and it was working fine until a few hours later when we couldn’t connect my xbox to the wifi wirelessly but we can only connect it through wired, i’ve...