Xbox One software updates are slow and unreliable yet Internet speeds are good

Discus and support Xbox One software updates are slow and unreliable yet Internet speeds are good in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; When updating software on my Xbox One, I generally get slow download speeds varying from less than 1Mbps to (rarely) around 10Mbps with long periods... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by GarethHarper, May 28, 2023.

1. GarethHarper
    GarethHarper Guest

When updating software on my Xbox One, I generally get slow download speeds varying from less than 1Mbps to (rarely) around 10Mbps with long periods when nothing at all is being downloaded.

The data rates reported by the Xbox One are confirmed by the router's reporting of Internet usage.

I get the same behaviour using either WiFi or wired Ethernet. I have tried powering cycling both the Xbox One and the router/modem. The problem has persisted for months.

Quite often, the Xbox One gives up on an update (pauses it and starts the next in the queue), giving the report:

=====================================================

Check your Internet connection

We had to stop installing. If you're still connected, try installing later when your network might be faster. (0x87e00005)

=====================================================

Yes, the Xbox One does often give up on an update when nothing else has been using our Internet connection.

My router/modem reports these internet connection speeds:

Throughput: download 26.8 Mbit/s upload 7.9 Mbit/s

DSL: download 27.4 Mbit/s upload 8.1 Mbit/s

I have adjusted the router's settings to give priority to the Xbox One and to allow UPnP using either Ethernet or WiFi.

The Xbox One reports (using either WiFi or Ethernet) that it's got:

IPv4 & IPv6

All services are available

NAT type: Open

When I do network tests using the Xbox One, it reports:

Download: about 22-25 Mbps

Upload: about 5.5-6.5 Mbps

Latency: about 30-50 ms

The test results are about the same whether I use WiFi or wired Ethernet (1000Mpbs).

Usually, the Xbox One network tests report a packet loss of between 0%-4%. When preparing this question today, I did some more tests and was surprised to see the Xbox One network tests twice report 100% packet loss (yes really), but with good data rates and latency times in line with the figures above despite 100% packet loss, which I don't understand at all.

When I use a laptop connected to the Ethernet cable normally plugged into the Xbox One, running a ping test to google.co.uk (I'm in the UK) gives a packet loss rate typically varying from 0%-4% with a round trip time averaging around 20-30ms (results from 300 pings per test, either 1s or 0.5s interval).

Internet speed test results using the laptop plugged into the Xbox One's Ethernet cable are usually a little faster than the Xbox One gets, but not by much.

Our Internet connection is fast enough that we can have three video streams downloading without problems, but even when nothing else is using the Internet here, the Xbox One usually has very poor updating performance.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to solve the problem or do further troubleshooting.

:)

GarethHarper, May 28, 2023
  2. Darhyl Mayte Amizola Win User

3. GarethHarper Win User

Hello,

Thank you once more.

I've now got a new problem. The thing is that "my" Xbox One actually belongs to my 12 year old son and I cannot convince him to let me try a factory reset - he's worried that he'll lose something.

I have tried to find a definitive statement on-line about exactly what data is stored on-line with respect to his Xbox account to convince him that a factory reset done as you suggest is safe, but so far I've come up with nothing that convinces him.

You've been a tremendous help so far and I'm sorry to ask for more, but I was wondering if you know of a definitive official Microsoft web page that describes exactly what data is stored on-line in this case, and also confirms that it gets downloaded once an account is recreated on an Xbox that has had a factory reset?

Many thanks.
  4. GarethHarper Win User

Hello,

Thanks for your suggestion. I've not tried it yet because I'm not clear how to ensure that I don't lose any user data.

The page you linked to states:

"Resetting your console to its factory defaults erases all accounts, saved games, settings, and home Xbox associations. Anything not synchronized with the Xbox network will be lost. Your console syncs with the Xbox network automatically when it’s connected with the service, so if you've been offline for a while, connect to the Xbox service before taking these steps."

but it doesn't explain how to find out what data is synchronised with the Xbox network. I've done some on-line searching and I've not been able to find out.

In particular, how can I ensure that after doing the factory reset, I can restore a full and exact duplicates of my current Xbox setup, including all current accounts and all current saved games, game progress, and so on?

(Also, I don't understand what "home Xbox associations" means)

Thank you once more for your time.
  5. Darhyl Mayte Amizola Win User

Nothing to worry, please take your time, and let's hope for the best!
  6. Darhyl Mayte Amizola Win User

Thank you for your response.

The Xbox console dashboard is the console's main menu where you can access your games, settings, and store dashboard.

Note: Please use a wired network connection as part of our troubleshooting steps.

Since this is a software update issue/slow update speed, kindly clear your alternate Mac address:

Press the Xbox button to open the guide.

Select Settings.

Select Network.

Select Network Settings

Select Advanced Settings

Select Alternate MAC Address

Select Clear

Restart your console

Then proceed with your console update.

Please take your time and let me know if it works.

Reference link: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/...
Thema:

1. Xbox One software updates are slow and unreliable yet Internet speeds are good - Similar Threads - software updates are

2. My xbox one doesn't turn back on in the restart phase of the software update. How do I fix...

in XBoX on Consoles
    My xbox one doesn't turn back on in the restart phase of the software update. How do I fix...: It's one of those normal software/system updates where you have to do the update to be able to connect to a network again. There is a progress bar at the bottom of the screen divided into 3 parts....
  3. After software update no video displays

in XBoX on Consoles
    After software update no video displays: After software update no video displays. Replaced hdmi cable, tried a different working hdmi port on the tv, and tried starting in low resolution mode. Nothing works. Xbox light comes on, o video...
  4. Can the xbox series X/S and elite series polling rate be unlocked via software update? Can...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can the xbox series X/S and elite series polling rate be unlocked via software update? Can...: This thread is about the lock on xbox controller polling rate. I have tested and noticed that the lowest latencies I get on a xbox controller is 3-4ms vs 0.80-1ms from PS5 controllers and PC. On a...
  5. Xbox series x is software update issue

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series x is software update issue: xbox series x the new black console is stuck doing a system update I'm frozen out of opening or pressing anything while its trying to do this so I can't go setting or anything like that I tried...
  6. Xbox cant load game after doing a software update

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox cant load game after doing a software update: Having a bug this morning where i got an xbox update while playing a game, i installed it fully and when i finally finished it i went to load my game back up but it keeps crashing with no error...
  7. Software Update not working and shutting down Xbox One

in XBoX on Consoles
    Software Update not working and shutting down Xbox One: My Xbox one is saying there needs to be a software update so when I start the update it all looks like it is happening ok, but it say that the Xbox will restart on software update, but it turns...
  8. Latest system update corrupted my system software

in XboX Insiders
    Latest system update corrupted my system software: Ever since the September system update my console has been completely corrupted. System won't start up till hours later and when it does it either freezes or all apps and games you try to start...
  9. Xbox Home screen Idea for next software update:)

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox Home screen Idea for next software update:): Make an option in the settings where you can change your home screen between the older generations of Xbox home screens. I miss the Xbox 360 start up and home screen. submitted by...
  10. Xbox Series X System Software Update

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X System Software Update: My Xbox Series X was updating and when it was at 90% seen in the link below, I held the Home Xbox button and it brought me back to the dashboard. At this point, I have no idea if the system...