Xbox One/Series controller registering double press on A button on Windows 10

Discus and support Xbox One/Series controller registering double press on A button on Windows 10 in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hello, I'm experiencing a problem with both of my controllers: Xbox One S and Xbox Series. Occasionally, with varying frequency, they register an "A"... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by JakubWrześniewski, Apr 11, 2022.

1. Xbox One/Series controller registering double press on A button on Windows 10

Hello,

I'm experiencing a problem with both of my controllers: Xbox One S and Xbox Series. Occasionally, with varying frequency, they register an "A" button press as a double-press, regardless of connection type (Wireless Receiver or USB cable). I've tried removing all Xbox related devices from Device Manager to ensure a reinstall of drives, but that did not help. I've also got my Series controller replaced twice, before I've noticed it also affect an Xbox One one too.

Also, I've connected other Xinput controllers (8bitdo e.g.) via Bluetooth and cable, and none of them seem to have such issues, so it's only related to Microsoft products.

I'm not realy sure how can I proceed from this point, as driver's reinstall didn't help. It also affects only an "A" button (or at least I've only noticed this one).

Big thanks for help.

:)

JakubWrześniewski, Apr 11, 2022
  2. JakubWrześniewski Win User

So I've removed all Xbox controllers and Wireless Adapter from Device Manager. After ensuring I have wire only connection, I've tested the controller and after a few minutes I got a double press. After that I've remapped the buttons just as you've instructed, and after an hour of gameplay I couldn't reproduce the problem on a physcial "B" button (which software-wise served as an "A" button). Does it imply it's a purely hardware problem? Then again, it's a fourth controller that has an exact same issue.

I've messed around an Xbox Accessories app and I've noticed that physical "A" button is generally less stable than the others, e.g. while rapidly pressing it would miss a press once in a while, while others had a solid feedback.
  3. JakubWrześniewski Win User

Thank you for all your help, John.

I've read the topics you've mentioned and I've applied solutions proposed to those similar to my case, which are:

- removing any Xbox 360 Controller listed in Device Manager;

- moving the Xbox Wireless Adapter away from possible disturbance fields (previously it was close to Bluetooth Adapter);

- applying tweaks to Steam's Controller Input manager (however it seemd redundant, as I've disabled this manager entirely long time ago);

I've tried reproducing the issue in Xbox Accesories app and one of GOG's games, with no luck. During the Batman session on Steam right after applying those solutions I had two occurences of the problem. I think I will need more time and games to eventually decide whether this malfunction is gone.

Please keep this thread open, as I'm not 100% sure it's solved, and maybe someone else will have some additional insight.

Once again, thank you for all your help.

Jakub
  4. XBF John Win User

Okay, and thank you for the translation I appreciate your efforts. Let's try and confront piece by piece to see if we can find a solution, if something works then it will let me know that it could pinpoint the software issue.

For steam I found this thread on their support forums: Controller Double Tapping :: Help and Tips (steamcommunity.com) where most users experiecing this problem comments that it may be the configurator. The suggestions are:

"Under controller configuration, select the setting for the A button (or the button having issues), under activator type, give a minimum value (non zero) to fire end delay and it should fix this."

"- Right-click the game having issues
    - Go to Manage > Controller Configuration
    - Click the Y/X/B/A button group, bottom right corner for me
    - Click the A button
    - Add just a tiny bit to the slider for Fire End Delay
    - Click Back, Back, Done
    - Enjoy"

For Batman: Arkham Asylum/City, try these and see if it eliminates the double press issue.

For later reference I will post these for review to see if anything helps us out here:

Xbox One controller buttons bounce (double tap) with wireless - Microsoft Community

1 controller but double input? | NVIDIA GeForce Forums

Occasional double input with Xbox one controller (A button) (PC) | Forums - CD PROJEKT RED

Xbox One controller double input on "A" button - Microsoft Community

Thank you,

5. JakubWrześniewski Win User

When your controller is connected in your Device Manager under Network Adapters, does the Xbox Wireless adapter appear there when a device is connected?

Yes, it's titled "Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows".

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

And does it also appear in your Settings > Devices > Bluetooth & Other Devices. Mine is under "Other Devices" and titled "Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows".

Yes, it's the same title and in "Other Devices" section.

Also, what game and platform (Steam, Xbox App) are you seeing this happen...

I've seen it in many titles, but these are just some recent occurences:

- Steam, "Batman: Arkham Asylum/City" - Batman is doing a dodge (double press) instead of running (holding button);

- GOG, "Witcher 3" - immediately pick up the first item from loot search window;

- Xbox App, "Forza Horizon 4/5" - gear shift jumps two gears down, instead of one;

- Xbox App, "Psychonauts 2" - make a double jump, instead of regular one;

As I've mentioned before, the frequncy can be varying, sometimes it happens once every 30 minutes, sometimes it's 30 seconds.

I've also said that this problem occurs on wired USB connection too, so I've checked both Device Manager and Bluetooth & Other Devices windows to see how the controller is registered there.

Device Manager:
    Xbox Peripherals -> Xbox Controller

Blutooth & Other Devices:

Other Devices -> Controller

(Please keep in mind I'm doing a rough translation from non-english language, so the exact names of sections might differ a bit)

I hope all this information helps troubleshoot and pinpoint the root cause of this issue. Being unable to predict whether one of the most important buttons will be registered as a single or double press renders both my Microsoft controllers useless to me.
  6. XBF John Win User

Thank you, I'm raising the bug you filed to discuss with the relevant teams to see what their feedback is on it.

Until then, can see about compare and contrasting since I also use the wireless adapter, though mainly for my Xbox wireless headset, it should be all the same firmware considering. When your controller is connected in your Device Manager under Network Adapters, does the Xbox Wireless adapter appear there when a device is connected?

And does it also appear in your Settings > Devices > Bluetooth & Other Devices. Mine is under "Other Devices" and titled "Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows". Also, what game and platform (Steam, Xbox App) are you seeing this happen on so I can reproduce the issue and see if I can find a way to either compare and contrast successful and unsuccessful behaviors or, if i have the same issue, try to see if I can troubleshoot a solution.

Thank you,

Thema:

1. Xbox One/Series controller registering double press on A button on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Series controller registering

2. My Series X Controller refuses to connect and doesn't register any console.

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Series X Controller refuses to connect and doesn't register any console.: Not sure how much more descriptive I can be. And before you say to use the sync buttons, guess what? The one on my Xbox doesn't work, so that won't be a useful piece of advice. Already tried the...
  3. My Xbox series x controller's left thumbstick is not registering the push/click function.

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox series x controller's left thumbstick is not registering the push/click function.: EDIT: I am so sorry for wasting anyone's time, turns out that the controller thought that the joystick was always being pressed. and i fixed it by quite literally tapping the back of the...
  4. Controller or Mouse and Keyboard input not registering Xbox Series X

in XBoX on Consoles
    Controller or Mouse and Keyboard input not registering Xbox Series X: About two weeks ago roughly it started out as a sort of intermittent problem, Fortnite, and my new love Lego Fortnite would occasionally with seemingly nothing triggering it, all input controlling...
  5. I cannot register my Xbox Series X controller via serial number

in XBoX on Consoles
    I cannot register my Xbox Series X controller via serial number: I recently bought a Xbox Series X controller. When I tried to register my device on Microsoft Device website it show that "We didn't recognize this serial number" so I doubt that my controller is...
  6. My xbox series s is registering my wireless headset as a second controller

in XBoX on Consoles
    My xbox series s is registering my wireless headset as a second controller: I have a wireless headset connected to my xbox and when i try to play NHL 24 Be a pro mode and play a game it shows as a second controller and doesnt allow me to continue. I usually turn my...
  7. Elite series 2 controller not registering right input when thumb know fitted

in XBoX on Consoles
    Elite series 2 controller not registering right input when thumb know fitted: As in the question when a know is fitted to the left joystick there is no right input. Worked perfectly fine the day prior to posting question and just not today. When removed works perfectly...
  8. Having issues registering Elite Series 2 controller as new device using the serial number????

in XBoX on Consoles
    Having issues registering Elite Series 2 controller as new device using the serial number????: Having issues registering Elite Series 2 controller as new device using the series number. I am looking at the serial number on the back of my official Xbox Elite Series 2 controller and trying to...
  9. Computer accepts Elite Series 2 Controller exists, but doesn't register inputs (nor in Xbox...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Computer accepts Elite Series 2 Controller exists, but doesn't register inputs (nor in Xbox...: Bit of a weird one this. Been enjoying the new controller for a few weeks, no issues. Suddenly, mid-session, my game started behaving as if I don't have a controller connected. (CoD, probably not...
  10. My elite controller series 2 can't be registered

in XBoX on Consoles
    My elite controller series 2 can't be registered: My Xbox elite series 2 that I bought using Microsoft says it's not valid & to try again. My right bumper won't work & I've troubleshooted everything I can & need to use the warranty...