Xbox One S: Holding disc solves disc drive issue?

Discus and support Xbox One S: Holding disc solves disc drive issue? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Well this isn’t my first rodeo with disc drive issues for xbox’s. I purchased an Xbox One S about 3 years ago after having 2 original Xbox One consoles... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Brian243, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Brian243
    Brian243 Guest

Well this isn’t my first rodeo with disc drive issues for xbox’s. I purchased an Xbox One S about 3 years ago after having 2 original Xbox One consoles having disc drive failures after the warranty ran out (1 year). Finally I traded the latest one in for
    the S model thinking that the disc drive issues would be solved. Well tonight my Xbox One S started having disc drive issues itself also. I inserted 3 different game discs with no clicking sounds like the previous 2 original xbox’s did but it did not read
    any of them and everything sounded fairly normal except that it would constantly try to reload and cycle the disc inside the Xbox drive itself without spitting out the disc? (Basically as if it was first inserted and kept trying). I read in an article that
    holding the disc in place for 1 second while the console was trying to pull it into the drive and releasing it may fix this problem and I tried it and it worked to my surprise and read the discs (all of them). My main question is...What would cause this issue
    and why does this simple task fix it?

This is a temporary solution i’m assuming and not an actual fix.

Is this another hardware failure or certain death for my S model console also or something less?

:)

Brian243, Apr 19, 2020
  2. Jayhab4real Win User

Hey, no problem!

We have cats and my One X is on top of a cabinet; i'm always really warey of the hdmi cable and how the plug sticks out far more than necessary - its only a matter of time before one of them stands on it and it gives way!!
  3. Brian243 Win User

Thank you so much for the reply.

My girl friend has a dog and it is a possibility that it was knocked into by him playing or something. Other than that I take good care of it and clean the dust off of it regularly but then again when i’m gone at work, anything can happen and i’ll never
    know.

Hopefully this simple fix will hold for now *fingers crossed* lol.
  4. Jayhab4real Win User

If yours is still in warranty, organise a repair:

https://beta.support.xbox.com/help/hardware-network/warranty-service/getting-your-product-serviced
  5. Jayhab4real Win User

It sounds like the mechanism that draws the disc in is out of alignment with the drive spindle. So when pulling the disc in, it doesn't deposit it in exactly the right place for it to marry up with the spindle correctly; the action of holding on to the disc
    for a second alters where within the mechanism it thinks the disc is, and in this case, actually correcting it!

I can only imagine that perhaps the unit has suffered a knock or other disturbance that has misaligned the mechanism? In theory, it should continue to work unless it falls further out of sync?
  6. ATOMIC K9 2025 Win User

my original Xbox one I've had since the Christmas it came out has started doing this same thing but the holding disc isn't working and I've tried a multitude of different things but nothing seems to work what should I do
Thema:

1. Xbox One S: Holding disc solves disc drive issue? - Similar Threads - Holding disc solves

2. Holding the 'Xbox Button' not working

in XboX Insiders
    Holding the 'Xbox Button' not working: Current behaviour Pressing the 'Xbox Button' on the controller makes the controller vibrate as usual indicating that the button input has been acknowledged, however the Xbox does not display the...
  3. Xbox Elite Series 2 controller keeps disconnecting when I press and hold any button

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Elite Series 2 controller keeps disconnecting when I press and hold any button: I recently bought an Elite Xbox Series 2 controller for my PC, and I ran into an issue where every time I press and hold (edit: any button), the controller would briefly disconnect (no input, xbox...
  4. My Xbox is stuck on the startup screen and yes I have tried holding the power button and...

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox is stuck on the startup screen and yes I have tried holding the power button and...: My Xbox is stuck on the startup screen I have tried holding the power button for ten seconds then unplugging the power cable please help. 332b2acb-c264-49b8-8d13-488d283a12f0
  5. I have an Xbox series x controller and it hold a hard "up" during gameplay when on steam.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I have an Xbox series x controller and it hold a hard "up" during gameplay when on steam.: It works fine in the menu and to naviagte before the game; but starting at the game menu, it pushes up. it's not a controller issue and I just want to know if anyoner else has had this problem....
  6. How do I fix my controller if I have to hold A just to play a game or do anything, I just...

in XBoX on Windows
    How do I fix my controller if I have to hold A just to play a game or do anything, I just...: I bought a new controller that was pre owned but I don’t know if it’s a problem because I just connected the controller and I was trying to get into a game and instead of having to press A once I...
  7. [XBO] Console doesn't power on unless I unplug everything and then hold the sync button?

in XBoX on Consoles
    [XBO] Console doesn't power on unless I unplug everything and then hold the sync button?: Been happening since my console updated and didn't start back up after a restart during the update 7d44bbf0-c127-48f6-8191-b67abafd8ba6
  8. SOMEONE HAS GOTTEN HOLD OF MY XBOX ACCOUNT

in XBoX Accessibility
    SOMEONE HAS GOTTEN HOLD OF MY XBOX ACCOUNT: Some has gotten hold of my xbox account. Everytime I try to play a game it tells me that I am already playing on a Xbox one S, which I'm not. I have tried almost everything I could find on the...
  9. Elite Controller 2 Core - Right stick doesn't hold firmly

in XBoX on Consoles
    Elite Controller 2 Core - Right stick doesn't hold firmly: Hi! I've just received my new sealed Elite Controller 2 Core and noticed the following defect: The right stick base is not magnetic at all. Left stick is holding okay, but the right one can be...
  10. Holding down the power button for more than 10 seconds reset my console to scratch.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Holding down the power button for more than 10 seconds reset my console to scratch.: I went to turn my Xbox off by holding down the power button for more than 10 seconds to make sure that it was fully shut down. However when I restarted my console all my profiles were removed, my...