Xbox One S disc drive spins and fan kicks in when turned off

Discus and support Xbox One S disc drive spins and fan kicks in when turned off in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi all, My Xbox One S is in energy saving mode just to clarify Recently after it is switched off, the disc drive kicks in randomly and the fan starts... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Convercide, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Convercide
    Convercide Guest

Hi all,

My Xbox One S is in energy saving mode just to clarify

Recently after it is switched off, the disc drive kicks in randomly and the fan starts up for around 10 minutes. Then it all stops again. This will happen with hours between occurring but it seems to do it roughly every 4 hours.

It has never done this before and started about a month ago.

I'm in Alpha Skip Ahead too in the Insider Program.

Any idea why it keeps doing this? Energy Saving Mode shouldnt be allowing it to boot like this.

:)

Convercide, Sep 24, 2020
  2. ChiefJoboo Win User

Xbox One X - USB-powered external drive always on!

Yep. No affect.
    The xbox one has updates sometimes when the console is off. Does the drive keep spinning for more than 10 minutes after you turn off the console?

Also, does the drive park when the console turns off? And it keeps spinning?
  3. Matteo Guichardaz Win User

Disc Drive spins really fast when 360 is turned off

I have the same problems. Happened at least 10 times with an xbox360 S. Today for example i turned off xbox360 with a background download and the drive started to spin until i eject the tray. Happened also when i entered in xbox video with last dashboard.
    Inserted i have the battlefield 3 disc. It seems to happen randomly. I think an update can solve this. If you have a very big download the drive spin until the end. If you eject the tray the console turn off again.
  4. Andy5416 Win User

XBOX One external hard drive keeps spinning up and down every minute

Attempted to turn off the option to power down drive so that it would be always on, but even then it spins down and up again every minute. So it seems no matter what setting it's on, it will not

1. keep drive powered on when in standby

or

2. keep drive powered off when in standby

So if it's doing a status check every 60 seconds, is it the drive that is spinning up on its own, or is it the XBOX OS that is spinning it up I wonder?

I have another drive which I have plugged in and tried this on, it is a Hitachi Touro 1tb (usb powered hdd) and it also spins up every 60 seconds. I plugged the hitachi into another XBOX one S and noticed it exhibited the identical behaviour... Spinning
    up and down every 60 seconds.

So that's two drives on two Xbox One's. I'm very puzzled. Thoughts?
  5. THEOWENKILLER Win User

Disc never stops spinning

Are you sure it`s not the fan?

The disc should not spin when not in use,i would say you have a faulty machine.
  6. MoodySince1969 Win User

Disc starts spinning extremely fast when I power off the system or returning from any app

Probably it isn't the hard drive disc that is spinning fast, once the console was turned off. I think it is the fan that is trying to cool down the hardware. Did you check if the console heats a lot before turning it off? Do you have your console in a tight
    space or with stuff on top of it, preventing its cooling? Is your room too heated?
Thema:

1. Xbox One S disc drive spins and fan kicks in when turned off - Similar Threads - disc drive spins

2. Xbox Series X- discs will not read or spin in optical drive (The ONLY game that reads is...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X- discs will not read or spin in optical drive (The ONLY game that reads is...: Hi, for the last 6 months I have had serious with my disc drive on my Series X. I am aware of reports that the laser diode that was used in the manufacturing has issues, I have also tried every...
  3. I have an original xbox and the disc drive won' eject. Paper clip don't work. What next?

in XBoX on Consoles
    I have an original xbox and the disc drive won' eject. Paper clip don't work. What next?: I have an original xbox and the disc drive won't open. Tried the paper clip tool and it did't work. What next? a81eeb29-f7e9-4f6e-a093-2e8064856079
  4. is it normal xbox series x disc drive to leave minor scratches to discs during use and time

in XBoX on Consoles
    is it normal xbox series x disc drive to leave minor scratches to discs during use and time: I have an xbox series x and I notice that it leaves some minor or too minor scratches to discs. The laser read them normally and I dont hear any grinding or weird noise from the disc drive. I can...
  5. i need step by step instructions on how to install msfs from a disc drive

in XBoX on Windows
    i need step by step instructions on how to install msfs from a disc drive: I purchased a sealed copy of msfs deluxe version. I started disc 1 and it ran for many hours and finally stopped so I started disc 2 and it ran for many hours. Was I supposed to anything else...
  6. Xbox series x disc drive and cloud sync

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series x disc drive and cloud sync: My XBox seriesX disc drive does not work and also now won’t sync with the cloud f9f45fe7-190a-421d-ae07-22bd0fc8bdb5
  7. Can someone please help me fix my disc drive??

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can someone please help me fix my disc drive??: When i go to put in a 360 disc or a dvd in my xbox one it won’t read it will just sit in there and when i put a xbox one disc or a blue ray disc in it reads it 75% of the time and some of these...
  8. Can anyone help troubleshoot disc drive replacement?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can anyone help troubleshoot disc drive replacement?: I replaced the disc drive on my Xbox one. The disc before wouldn't really spin. I successfully replaced the disc drive, and the disc still won't read. Suggestions?...
  9. Series X disc drive noise on start up

in XBoX on Consoles
    Series X disc drive noise on start up: Seems to be a quick jerk or vibrating noise that last a split second. Runs fine otherwise. I talked to MS support and they said it’s the disc drive looking for a disc. I don’t have any discs tho....
  10. Disc Drive won't spin disc

in XBoX on Consoles
    Disc Drive won't spin disc: My disc drive won't spin the disc anymore when I open it up the disc is in the exact same location as I put it in. My xbox is out of warranty due to age so just trying to figure out the cheapest,...