xbox one not reading discs

Discus and support xbox one not reading discs in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; i heard this is a common problem, bought a new xbox one on day one and it worked fine at first then slowly stopped reading all my discs until just... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by vrillo, Jan 5, 2014.

1. vrillo
    vrillo Guest

i heard this is a common problem, bought a new xbox one on day one and it worked fine at first then slowly stopped reading all my discs until just before Christmas when I stopped reading any discs at all! so I booked in a repair for it and posted it out
    last week through this site following the prompts and protocalls, still haven't heard anything back or even confirmation of Microsoft receiving it! also I questioned with support what will happen to the free fifa download I had on my xbox from buying it day
    one?

any insight someone wants to share with me would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

Jak

:)

vrillo, Jan 5, 2014
  2. thirdeyelove
    thirdeyelove Guest
    Xbox One not reading discs

1. Make sure your console is plugged into an outlet, NOT power surge or power protector.

2. Settings >disc and blue ray > blue ray > persistent storage > clear persistent storage.

3. Settings > power and start up > turn off or restart > restart now

4. Repeat step 2

5. Power cycle the console by holding the power button for 10 seconds, and unplugging the console from the wall for 30 seconds.

thirdeyelove, Jan 5, 2014
  3. xbox one not reading discs

I have had this before. When you insert the disc, hold it tightly so that when the XBox starts to try and pul the disc in, you keep hold of it. Wait for a second then push the disc in. It somehow catches correctly and then sits right in the mechanism.
    This normally works for me and I think is a common issue. Please don't be too brutal though - you could damage the drive.

FlamingHotPizza, Jan 5, 2014
  4. thespyder619
    thespyder619 Guest

Mine worked fine for about 3 weeks then 1 day stopped all at once. After 3 times of calling to get a label to ship it sum1 got it right and i shipped it out. now I cant even track it because its a "tier 3 issue" now and the people that answer the calls have
    no idea what's Goin on. I was told today that all I can do is wait for a reply to an email I sent 3 days ago

thespyder619, Jan 6, 2014
  5. LBRufio44
    LBRufio44 Guest
    I bought my xbox one day one. At first it worked great but over the past few months when I go to put a disc in (game, dvd or blu ray) it 50% of the time doesn't even register that I put a disc in. Sometimes ejecting the disc and putting it back in fixes
    it. Other times I have to hard reset it to make it work. It seems to progressively get worse as time goes on. (happens more frequently and takes multiple tries of reinserting the disc or resetting the xbox) Should I be worried? I don't want to put it off thinking
    it just needs to be patched only to go past the warranty period and get *** over and have to just buy a new xbox. Any advice?

LBRufio44, Aug 16, 2014
  6. Spyroman12
    Spyroman12 Guest
    Might want to check where your repair is by going to the FedEx website, and putting in your tracking number. Also, as for your free fifa download, your profile owns the rights to the game. So as long as you can download your profile, you should be able to
    redownload fifa if the game has been deleted from your console. Hope this helps

Spyroman12, Aug 16, 2014
  7. I am going to get rid of my sons xbox1 and get him a playstation4 am sick of it not reading discs!

Alarming PSYCHO, Jan 11, 2015
  8. xbox one not reading discs

Hey there, AlarmingEnd! I'm very sorry to see that your console is not reading discs! You will want to set up a repair for it using our
    Online Service Center. This thread is over a year old. If you need further assistance, please post up a new thread detailing what you're running into and troubleshooting you've completed. This way our community can get
    you the individual support that works best on the forums. xbox one not reading discs :)

Misses Quinzel, Oct 31, 2018
  9. Obsessive Power Win User

HELP ME PLEASE! XBOX ONE BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY NOT WORKING AT ALL?!?!?!!?!?!?

Hi,

It's not the discs it's your console. If your console can not read DVD movies then it won't read Xbox 360 games either. DVD movie discs use the same type of discs that 360 games use (DVD-9).

The Xbox One has two lasers to read discs. One for Blu-rays - which Xbox One discs games are made of - and one for reading DVD's and Xbox 360 games.
  10. Obsessive Power Win User

Can't install red dead redemption 1

Hi,

Do other BC Xbox 360 game discs work on your Xbox One? For the Xbox One to recognise the game and download it from Live it must:

• Be able to read the disc. Check if the disc is dirty or damaged
    • Have a working Optical drive capable of reading Xbox 360 discs. Try other BC discs or test a DVD movie.

The Xbox One has two diodes for reading discs in the optical Blu-ray Drive. A red laser is used to read Xbox 360 and DVD movies and a blue laser to read Xbox One games and Blu-ray movies. If the diode for reading DVD's is faulty, BC Xbox 360 discs won't
    work.
  11. Obsessive Power Win User

Xbox One X only reads XB1 game dvds

Hi,

The optical drive in the Xbox One is a Blu-ray drive. Xbox One discs are on Blu-ray disc, same as HD Blu-ray movies. Xbox 360 games came on DVD disc.

Oversimplifying my explanation a little, the Xbox One has separate lasers for reading DVD discs than it does for reading Xbox One blu-ray discs.

The laser that is used to read DVD's has failed. This isn't a software issue, it's a hardware one. Unfortunately you can't fix this yourself, you'll need your console repaired. Sorry.
  12. Obsessive Power Win User

xbox one disk drive

Hi,

it won't be a software problem. The reason is because the Xbox One's Blu-Ray drive actually has two laser diodes, one for reading Blu-Ray Xbox One discs and movies and another to read Xbox 360 and DVD movie discs.

Essentially the laser that reads BD discs has failed and it's not something you can repair yourself.

Sorry about that.
  13. Rickieq Win User

MW2 will not play

The Xbox series X will not read the MW2 disc, I have returned it and tried 3 separate copies of the MW2 disc, the console will play other games/discs and read dvds/blue rays as well. But will not read any MW2 disc I insert into the console. The disc will read on my Xbox one. I installed it there and network transferred all the data to the series X and upgraded all the data that was transferred but the console refuses to read the MW2 disc.
Thema:

1. xbox one not reading discs - Similar Threads - reading discs

2. Can’t update my Xbox. It can’t read the update from the disc and now won’t play any game

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can’t update my Xbox. It can’t read the update from the disc and now won’t play any game: We put a newer game in consol and needed to update but can’t read the update form the disc and now won’t let any game play bca5ba6e-b674-4ed2-ba99-cc56492662bb
  3. My Xbox one x just stoped reading my disc

in XboX Insiders
    My Xbox one x just stoped reading my disc: My Xbox one stopping working with my game I've been playing the last few days it's not damaged at all but it won't read and it will read a rough shape game I've tried the game multiple times and...
  4. Xbox series X has issues reading 4k bluray discs. How do I fix that??

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series X has issues reading 4k bluray discs. How do I fix that??: My xbox plays everything just fine but I recently purchased a 4k bluray disc and and my xbox won't read it. It attempts to read but then eventually stops. 2e6fceb2-3fd5-4ec3-b2a4-06c0ba0fccbf
  5. Xbox Series X- discs will not read or spin in optical drive (The ONLY game that reads is...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X- discs will not read or spin in optical drive (The ONLY game that reads is...: Hi, for the last 6 months I have had serious with my disc drive on my Series X. I am aware of reports that the laser diode that was used in the manufacturing has issues, I have also tried every...
  6. Disc won't read on Xbox One

in XBoX on Consoles
    Disc won't read on Xbox One: I cannot get game to read on Xbox One. b1f8cfa8-baf0-443e-815e-f17b48c0ff5c
  7. Why do so many Xbox series x refuse to read certain game discs? But will read others fine....

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why do so many Xbox series x refuse to read certain game discs? But will read others fine....: Urgent Attention Needed: Persistent Disc Reading Issue on Xbox Series X Dear Microsoft Support Team, I hope this message finds you well. I am reaching out to address a recurring issue with my...
  8. Why won’t a brand new disc read on my series X

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why won’t a brand new disc read on my series X: I just bought Deadpool for the Xbox one. I know others play it on the Series X so I know it should work. I’ve gone through multiple troubleshooting guides. Nothing works. The disc is brand new. I...
  9. Xbox One X & Series X Stopped Reading Discs with little to no usage + Controller Failures

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One X & Series X Stopped Reading Discs with little to no usage + Controller Failures: I've done all possible troubleshooting on my end. I have a warranty but plan on getting it replaced or refunded altogether. I've even compiled a video showing three different Xbox 360's that read...
  10. My Xbox 360 stopped reading discs. When I put a disc in, it just says reading and then...

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox 360 stopped reading discs. When I put a disc in, it just says reading and then...: My Xbox 360 stopped reading discs. When I put a disc in, it just says reading and then it’ll go back to open tray. I have tried numerous different discs. bddf303c-080c-427b-936c-bff465775784