Xbox one failing to turn on after turning itself on, clicks then dies. HHD? Power Supply?

Discus and support Xbox one failing to turn on after turning itself on, clicks then dies. HHD? Power Supply? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; My Xbox One clicked ~5 times and then didn't power on, and the power brick shut off. After that, I tried unplugging the supply completely and plugging... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Nifty_Biscuit, Jan 16, 2023.

1. Xbox one failing to turn on after turning itself on, clicks then dies. HHD? Power Supply?

My Xbox One clicked ~5 times and then didn't power on, and the power brick shut off. After that, I tried unplugging the supply completely and plugging it in, but nothing would happen on the Xbox from any buttons anymore. I replaced the ribbon cable for the front buttons about 4 weeks later and tried turning it on. It made the power on noise as soon as I plugged it in, and then clicked about 5 times before turning off, the brick shutting off, and going back to a state of the buttons no longer working. Before all of this I was having issues with the Xbox turning itself on even though it was set to turn completely off, not sleep. At no point does the light on the power supply turn anything but orange or off.

The clicking sounds more snappy than what I hear on YouTube for the HDD failures, but the speed and the number of clicks matches. Kind of sounds like when you try to light a gas stove, but when I looked at the board after the first time I could see no signs of burn damage or sparking. I have a spare SSD I am going to use and a new power supply I just ordered, but before I try those I want to ask incase there's another issue I haven't thought about.

:)

Nifty_Biscuit, Jan 16, 2023
  2. Nifty_Biscuit Win User

Xbox one failing to turn on after turning itself on, clicks then dies. HHD? Power Supply?

Didn't need to replace the HDD (Yet), the new power supply came in and the Xbox is working with the new one. Thank you Ponkor. Guess the original power supply kicked the bucket.
  3. andersonpassos Win User

Thank you for contact us! I'm Anderson, an Independent Consultant and a Microsoft user like you.

good evening

The clicking noise and the inability to turn on your Xbox One after it turns itself on, could indicate a problem with the hard drive or the power supply.

Regarding the clicking noise, it could be an indication of a hard drive failure, as it's one of the common symptoms of a failing hard drive. The clicking noise may be caused by the read/write head of the hard drive trying to access the platters, but failing to do so.

However, it could also be an issue with the power supply. The power supply is responsible for providing power to the different components of the console, and if it fails, the console may not turn on, or it may turn off unexpectedly. The power supply shuting off, and not turning back on, can be an indication of a power supply failure.

It would be best to try both the new SSD and power supply before drawing any conclusions.
  4. Nifty_Biscuit Win User

It it normal for the power supply light to remain orange? I may be misremembering but I thought I recalled it turning white when ready to supply power.
  5. andersonpassos Win User

if the source is on it means that the problem is not in the source, but in the xbox, it will need repair, unfortunately microsoft has not repaired this model since 2019
  6. XBF Jasmine Z Win User

Power supply won’t work turning orange

Hi Mari-TessBreslerman,

Try the link that was posted on this thread (Xbox One Power Supply Solution). it will show whether the power brick or the console itself
    needs to be replaced or repaired.

In short, it will troubleshoot and lead through the process of showing the following:

If the power supply unit light is on after trying to turn the console on, it means it is the console.

If the light turns off, then the power supply needs to be replaced.
Thema:

1. Xbox one failing to turn on after turning itself on, clicks then dies. HHD? Power Supply? - Similar Threads - failing turn turning

2. Hi i have a failed refund

in XBoX on Windows
    Hi i have a failed refund: Hi can anyone assist me I have a failed refund and when i sent Microsoft an email requesting them to ratcher credit my xbox account with the money so that i can pay for gamepass with it they...
  3. fix ps3 controller unknown usb device (device descriptor request failed)

in XBoX on Windows
    fix ps3 controller unknown usb device (device descriptor request failed): TRIED SCP TOOLKIT my controller is a copy of the original dualshock 3 controller. 523e77b9-9ef3-46f6-a19a-79d5fd97cea0
  4. How do i fix this Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)

in XBoX on Consoles
    How do i fix this Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed): [img] [img] I’ve tried everything and I’ve watched 30 YouTube videos and they didn’t help I’ve changed power plan and everything else 83e65527-88d8-47ab-a72a-a8387e7769ad
  5. Forza Motorsports fails to keep the controller active, even though its powered and speakers...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Forza Motorsports fails to keep the controller active, even though its powered and speakers...: I wanted to switch from Forza 4 to Forza Motorsports, but it broke my audio. I play with a wheel, but also plug in a controller (using a USB cable) to access the audio (there's no other audio-out...
  6. why does my minecraft keep failing to load

in XBoX on Windows
    why does my minecraft keep failing to load: Basically when i try to play minecraft by opening the launcher and pressing play it says: Unable to start Java. Error details: No applicable app licenses found. Filename on disk: javaw.exe Path:...
  7. Keeps saying “connection failed” failed to login to online services [Reason: Detrick-Lester]

in XBoX on Consoles
    Keeps saying “connection failed” failed to login to online services [Reason: Detrick-Lester]: Can’t Connect. Keeps saying “connection failed. Failed to login to online services [Reason:DETRICK-LESTER]. My connection and speed are good. Just had the cable guy come out and look at my...
  8. Xbox unable to update to newest Insider update, offline update fails too. Alpha & Alpha...

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox unable to update to newest Insider update, offline update fails too. Alpha & Alpha...: Hey all, having a huge issue with both my Xbox Series X's. When I try to update normally, this occurs every single time no matter what. https://i.imgur.com/rOkodS9.jpeg When I attempt to do the...
  9. why does my steam have this code? loadlibary failed error 126

in XBoX on Windows
    why does my steam have this code? loadlibary failed error 126: yeah i went to steam and it has that error message please help me with this and even xbox too c51e5eb6-e199-4bdd-b0c9-420ddb7be2fd
  10. Why does the right bumper fail on so many Elite 2 controllers?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does the right bumper fail on so many Elite 2 controllers?: Since customer support was unable to help me I figure I would try here before deciding whether or not to buy anymore Xbox hardware. I've had 2 Xbox elite 2 controllers stop working. Both had the...