XBox One external storage error code 0x80bd003b

Discus and support XBox One external storage error code 0x80bd003b in XboX Insiders to solve the problem; I have a Silicon Power 1TB Armor A60 hard drive. I got this to backup games for XBox One. I saw a YouTube video where it was simple to install. Sadly,... Discussion in 'XboX Insiders' started by /u/hirtme, Apr 1, 2020.

1. /u/hirtme
    /u/hirtme Guest

I have a Silicon Power 1TB Armor A60 hard drive. I got this to backup games for XBox One. I saw a YouTube video where it was simple to install. Sadly, when I plugged in Xbox didn't recognize it and give me a pop up. I can go into storage and it is displayed there for Pictures, Music and video. When I select it and hit "A" (like another YouTube video showed) I get the option for "Format for games and apps". When I select that I get "Try a different device. To capture game clips and screeshots externally, storage must be USN 3.0 or faster. This device is too slow. (0x80bd003b)"

So frustrating as the next screen should get everything finished. This hard drive is USB 3 and I'm using the USB cable it came with.

Any suggestions?

submitted by /u/hirtme
    [link] [comments]

/u/hirtme, Apr 1, 2020
  2. Kathy A. Win User

0x80bd003b

Hello ORI_free,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

We understand that you are trying to use an SSD Drive in Xbox to store games however you are unable to use the drive as storage. You were seeing an error code: 0x80bd003b and you can use it as media storage. Let us check on this together and sort this out in timely manner for you to get back to gaming.

Error code: 0x80bd003b has a resolution, this can be found on one of the threads posted here in Community and that is using Instant-on mode in power settings for Xbox Console. However, for the storage issue you are having, formatting could be of help. Please see the steps below that was shared by AustinC07:

1 Press the Xbox button to open the guide.

2 Select System > Settings > Power & startup > Power mode & startup.

3 Confirm that your Power mode is set to Instant-on.

4 Unselect the option When Xbox is off, turn off storage.

5 Restart your Xbox, and then go to Settings and select System > Storage and see if your device now appears in the list.

Thread: Error code 0x80bd003b - Microsoft Community

You may try to restart Xbox Console again if issue still persist. Will the steps help in resolving the error code, please try to format the SSD Drive and see if that would help you store games. In any case, formatting the drive as NTFS is required, please check the steps below for reference:

1. Plug the USB drive or external storage device into your Windows 10/11 PC.
    2. Open File Explorer.
    3. Right-click your USB drive or external storage device.
    4. From the pop-up menu, select Format.
    5. In the File system dropdown menu, select NTFS.
    6. Select Start to begin formatting.

Source: How to format a USB flash drive or external storage device to NTFS on Windows | Xbox Support

We hope this helps.

Kindly let us know, if there is any misunderstanding or clarifications of our description by sending us a reply.

Sincerely,

Microsoft Community Moderator
  3. SLB4EVERPT Win User

Error 0x87e00008 Xbox One

That error code means that the games that you trying to move didn't install correctly or has an update pending ( https://support.xbox.com/en-us/xbox-one/errors/error-code-87e00008
    )

In that case, because you trying to move, if you want really on the external HD, try to uninstall them, and then install them directly on the external HD. You can find this options in Storage Settings.
  4. MoeZArts Win User

Error Code (0x80bd003b)

Try following this video, setting up a seagate external drive with Xbox One S. It shouldn't be any different if you have Xbox One or Xbox One X.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NauUiahNlt8
  5. Tomm_A Win User

Error code 0x80bd003b

Hello Reece Hill,

Greetings!

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

It seems that you are having issue using the external hard drive of your Xbox One console. Let us check and see on what we can do to help resolve your concern in a timely manner.

Error code 0x80bd003b is a common issue that some Xbox One users have reported when trying to use an external hard drive to store their games. This error means that the Xbox One does not recognize the hard drive as a USB 3.0 device, which is required for game storage. There are a few possible solutions that you can try to fix this error:

- Make sure your Xbox One is updated to the latest version. You can check for updates by following the instructions here.

- Make sure your external hard drive is formatted to NTFS. You can do this by connecting it to a PC and following the instructions here. Note that this will erase all the data on the hard drive, so make sure you back up anything important before formatting. For reference, see: How to format a USB flash drive or external storage device to NTFS on Windows | Xbox Support

- Make sure your power mode is set to Instant-on and the option "When Xbox is off, turn off storage" is unselected. You can do this by following the instructions here.

- Try using a different USB cable or port to connect your hard drive to your Xbox One. Sometimes the cable or port might be faulty or loose.

- Try restarting your Xbox One by holding down the Xbox button on the console for 10 seconds, then pressing it again to turn it on. This will clear the cache and reset the system.

We look forward to your response. Kindly let us know, if there is any misunderstanding or clarifications of our description by sending us a reply.

Sincerely,

6. MoeZArts Win User

Error Code (0x80bd003b)

Try to use a computer that's running a Windows to format the external drive, format it to NTFS then plug it into your Xbox.
Thema:

1. XBox One external storage error code 0x80bd003b - Similar Threads - external storage error

2. Xbox one S digital external storage

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one S digital external storage: If I add an external storage to my Xbox one s all digital console, will I have to transfer games back and forth to be able to use them? Or does it work together, variations playing off of the...
  3. Game data deleted on internal storage after installing an external harddrive.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Game data deleted on internal storage after installing an external harddrive.: Game data deleted on internal storage of my Xbox X for only one game (Dead Space) after installing a external harddrive. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, still nothing. HELP!...
  4. If I put my physical game data into a external storage and plug it into my series s could i...

in XBoX on Consoles
    If I put my physical game data into a external storage and plug it into my series s could i...: So I have an Xbox one s and I feel it’s time to finally upgrade to a new gen console. being the Xbox one s has a disk drive I have a bunch of game disks of games I play. Now I have an external...
  5. Why can I only play some games directly from external storage?

in XBoX on Windows
    Why can I only play some games directly from external storage?: I have a 5tb external hard-drive. I have it formated for the xbox series x. I have it almost full with games, but only some will play directly from it. Others I have to constantly swap back and...
  6. Okay so external storage device

in XBoX on Consoles
    Okay so external storage device: I have tried literally every "Useful" tip under the sun at this point and it's STILL not being detected, it was working fine one night then I woke up and it hasn't worked ever since....
  7. Game pass downloads to external storage

in XboX Insiders
    Game pass downloads to external storage: I would love the feature that enables downloading of game pass games through the site (with my game pass subscription) to an external storage and then moving them to my console. submitted by...
  8. Can I play games off of external storage on my laptop?

in XBoX on Windows
    Can I play games off of external storage on my laptop?: I have run out of space on my 512GB laptop and need some more space to re-download all the games I would like to play such as Fortnite, EA FC 24, F1 23 and Microsoft Flight Simulator. I have a...
  9. My external storage won't let me play games from it

in XBoX on Consoles
    My external storage won't let me play games from it: Since I got my new xbox series x my external storage won't let me play games off it like I downloaded far cry 6 onto my external storage since my internal is full so I click on it and it come up...
  10. External storage and refunds

in XBoX on Consoles
    External storage and refunds: So essentially my external storage along with everyone’s external all over the world eventually will be rendered completely useless. If more and more Xbox games are going to be optimized for...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. to capture gsme clips ane screenshots externally storage must be 3.0 or faster

2. 0x87e00008