XBox One Controller won't boot via powered USB cable

Discus and support XBox One Controller won't boot via powered USB cable in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; To save myself the headache of batteries I've always used a micro usb wall power charger on my controller but since I did the controller update to make... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by xI SolarFenix, Nov 11, 2014.

1. XBox One Controller won't boot via powered USB cable

To save myself the headache of batteries I've always used a micro usb wall power charger on my controller but since I did the controller update to make my XO7s work that no longer is the case. I've tried multiple types of chargers and all outlets and the
    controller does not boot via powered usb cable. I'd rather not use batteries because of the expense.

Any ideas as to what can be done?

:)

xI SolarFenix, Nov 11, 2014
  2. Landshark
    Landshark Guest
    Are all Xbox One Controllers going to be Wireless?

Yes, but also no.

Every Xbox One controller is wireless. However, when you plug it in via USB it becomes wired and sends the signal via wire instead of wireless (while also charging batteries, if you are using the charge-pack - or in the case of your question, it's using the power via cable instead of the batteries).

This is in contrast to how Xbox 360 controllers work. X360 has both wireless and wired. An X360 wireless controller when plugged in via USB is still sending the signal wireless, but is getting power via the USB. This is why you can't plug an Xbox 360 wireless controller via USB into your computer and have it work, because the controller is still sending a wireless signal.

This makes the Xbox One controllers great for both Xbox One and PC gaming, because you don't need to buy a 'wired' controller for it to work on the PC, you can just plug it in via USB and it'll send the signal via USB instead. I'm really glad Microsoft did this.

Landshark, Nov 11, 2014
  3. 24onFox
    24onFox Guest
    Q's about Xbox controller / batteries and recharging

If we place other brand AA rechargeable batteries (NiMh) in the xbox one controller (regular or elite) and if we connect the USB cable to the controller Will it recharge the batteries?

If there is no batteries in the controller and you connect controllers/usb cable to the Xbox or any other power source will the controller work as if it's a wired controller?

24onFox, Nov 11, 2014
  4. jpmedina11 Win User

Xbox One controller won't turn on

this is the alert when trying to power on the controller after troubleshooting

TROUBLESHOOTING METHOD:

hard reset xbox

unplug power and video cables

remove battery pack from controller

inster usb to micro cable(oem play and charge)

re insert power and video cables

boot xbox one

once fully booted and connected via usb

hold guide button and menus button for 5-10 sec.

at this point a quick flash on the guide button and the alert on the tv is all i got out of it
  5. ArminatorX Win User

xbox one controller wont sync

Get a Micro USB cable (make sure it's a data cable, not just a phone charging cable with no data lines and just power lines), and connect the controller to the console via USB cable.

If the console detects the controller, check in the Xbox Accessories App, if the controller requires a Firmware update.

Update the controller via USB cable, and if that succeeded, try the controller wireless again.
  6. FrankDuke Win User

Xbox 360 slim 4gb stuck on splash screen

Hello,

I was able to pass the boot screen on my 360 slim after unplugging few USB cables at the back. Maybe too much power was taken by USB peripherals, there's one cable for the kinect, two for Xbox controllers chargers, and one for a wireless soundcard and a
    headset.
  7. Obsessive Power Win User

XBOX SERIES X and Play and Charge Kit

Hi,

• Yes, you can connect the controller via the USB cable to a PC. The cable sends data as well as power.
    • You don't need batteries. The USB cable sends power and data, As long as the controller is connected to the USB port on the PC will power the controller.
  8. ArminatorX Win User

Xbox one controller stops working randomly

Please try to troubleshoot the issue with these instructions:

Remove the batteries from the controller and for testing purposes, find a Micro USB data cable. Make sure it's a real data cable, as phone charging cables often only have the power lines connected, but no data lines.

Connect the controller via that USB cable directly to the console and check if the controller works.

If the controller works flawlessly with the cable, unplug the USB cable from the console and plug it into a USB power bank or a USB charging plug. Check if your controller still works. If the controller works without problems while being powered via USB,
    then your batteries are faulty.

If the controller fails to work via direct USB connection or being powered through the USB, it might be defective and you need to get it repaired/replaced through
    https://devicesupport.microsoft.com
Thema:

XBox One Controller won't boot via powered USB cable

1. XBox One Controller won't boot via powered USB cable - Similar Threads - Controller won't boot

2. Xbox accessories app won't detect wired connection on my elite series 2 controller when it...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox accessories app won't detect wired connection on my elite series 2 controller when it...: I cannot use the accessories app for my elite series 2 controller on PC. Says use wired connection but it's already plugged in how do I fix this db14f4d0-0b14-4148-a926-845124931b8c
  3. Why won't the controller stay connected?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why won't the controller stay connected?: I have read all related questions and suggestions. Nothing is a permanent fix and I'd rather not switch systems. If there isn't a fix for this , switching is the I kt option left...
  4. My controller won't work left thumbstick up then turns off on its own ?

in XBoX on Consoles
    My controller won't work left thumbstick up then turns off on its own ?: Hey guys my controller stopped working outta nowhere the left thumbstick up won't work and the just turns off any suggestions or have you experienced this double issue...
  5. Elite 2 controller battery won't charge

in XBoX on Windows
    Elite 2 controller battery won't charge: Hi everyone, The battery of my Elite 2 controller is not being charged anymore. I play on a computer that has a wired controller. The battery has a lifespan of approximately 20 to 50 minutes. I...
  6. My PDP Controller won't turn on

in XBoX on Windows
    My PDP Controller won't turn on: I got a new PDP controller and when I tried to turn it on it won't work, it won't even light up. Is there a way to solve the problem or do I need to get s new one...
  7. why won't my controller work?

in XBoX on Consoles
    why won't my controller work?: my controller will not work with minecraft. 2e4cb778-3a95-4135-abf7-2f8e4a9d12ca
  8. My Xbox Series S Controller Won't Connect To My Xbox One

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox Series S Controller Won't Connect To My Xbox One: For a little bit I've been using my Xbox Series S Controller to play on my PC, but when I wanted to play my Xbox One again, the controller just did not work, so I tried to reconnect the controller...
  9. My wired controller won't turn on. on my xbox but work on my brother xbox

in XBoX on Windows
    My wired controller won't turn on. on my xbox but work on my brother xbox: My wired controller won't turn on. on my xbox but work on my brother xbox e667e29d-baa6-4e38-b72a-77fe31dd074f
  10. My Xbox Controller won't appear in the bluethooth tab, but it will connect via wire.

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox Controller won't appear in the bluethooth tab, but it will connect via wire.: I've been trying to connect my Xbox controller to my pc via bluethooth but it won't appear in the bluethooth area, I tried updating the drivers, updating the controller through the Xbox...