Xbox One Controller recognized when connected by USB, but not by Bluetooth

Discus and support Xbox One Controller recognized when connected by USB, but not by Bluetooth in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; I just bought a brand new Xbox One Controller for playing games on my Windows 10 computer. If I connect it to the computer using a USB cable, then it... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by Dave_M_G, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Dave_M_G
    Dave_M_G Guest

I just bought a brand new Xbox One Controller for playing games on my Windows 10 computer.

If I connect it to the computer using a USB cable, then it works fine. I am able to play games, and I was also able to update the controller firmware using the
    Xbox Accessories app that I got from Microsoft Store.

However, when I try to connect it to my computer with Bluetooth, it behaves strangely.

First, in Settings, under Bluetooth & Other Devices, it shows up as "Xbox Wireless Controller 4416225E734B". That string of numbers and letters looks very strange, I've never seen that before.

Next,
    according to this answer,
    I should see three entries in my Device Manager. Two under Human Interface Devices:
    HID-compliant game contoller and USB Human Interface Device. And one entry on it's own called
    Xbox One Controller for Windows.

However, under Human Interface Devices, I only see HID-Compliant Game Controller. There is another strange entry called
    Bluetooth LE XINPUT compatible input device. There is no
    entry for Xbox One Controller for Windows anywhere.

If I open the Xbox Accessories app, it displays the Xbox One Controller okay,
    but if I try to play any games, none of the buttons correspond to any known mapping, so it's impossible to play anything.

In short, it looks like my Xbox Controller is installed in an incorrect, malformed way when I connect to it by Bluetooth.

I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting the controller by Bluetooth many times, and rebooting, but it has not helped. My Windows 10 computer has all updates as of today.

How do I get my Xbox One Controller to be correctly connected and configured to work with Windows 10 so that it has the right entries in the device manager, and will work correctly with my games?

:)

Dave_M_G, Jan 9, 2021
  2. AustinBeauchamp Win User

Can't revert firmware on Xbox Wireless Controller 1914, firmware version 5.13.3143.0. Loss of PC bluetooth functionality

The controller is recognized when plugged in via a usb cable and works as intended. Uninstalling the driver when plugged in and restarting doesn't change that behaviour, the controller is still recognized when plugged in and works.

Connecting to bluetooth remains the same issue though. Either it doesn't show up in the bluetooth devices search, or when it does, it fails to connect (prompting to "try again" every time)
  3. erasam Win User

after latest firmware update the wireless xbox controlled is no more correctly recognized on PC if connected using bluetooth

Hi Vinicius

it's not a problem of the controller, it can be paired with the PC with no issue, unfortunately with the latest firmware is no more recognized as an Xbox controller when connectd using bluetooth

In the joypad configuration panel when is wired connect it is reported as a "Controller (Xbox One For Windows)", when connected using bluetooth is reported as a generic "6-axis 16-buttons game pad with hat switch"

With previous firmware version it was reported as "Controller (Xbox One For Windows)" for both (even when connected with bluetooth)

It's a firmware bug
  4. MarvinaPerez Win User

XBox controller disconnects from PC or stops responding

Hi Keith, There are two ways to connect an Xbox controller to a PC: with a USB cable or via Bluetooth.

Connect with a USB cable

Plug one end of the USB cable into the USB port on your PC.

Plug the other end of the USB cable into the USB port on your Xbox controller.

The controller should automatically connect to your PC.

Connect via Bluetooth

Make sure your Xbox controller and PC have Bluetooth.
    Activate Bluetooth on your PC.

Press and hold the pairing button on the Xbox controller for 3 seconds.

The controller should appear in the list of Bluetooth devices on your PC.

Select the Xbox controller from the list and click "Connect."

Let me know if the information is still useful.

Sincerely,
    Marvina.
  5. Thiccbunga Win User

Xbox elite 2

When i connect it by USB the computer doesn't even acknowledge It, Ive tried other data transfer USB plugs, they dont work. I know the controller can be recognized by the computer because when I use Bluetooth I can connect, and its the accessories app, it shows my Elite 2 controller.
  6. SammyVS Win User

Xbox 360 controller not working with Xbox Cloud Gaming.

I'm Samy an independent advisor. Welcome to the community. How are you?

This controller does not support xCloud. These are the controllers you can use.

Official Xbox controllers

Xbox Wireless Controller (Bluetooth or USB connection)

Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 1 (USB connection only)

Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2 (Bluetooth or USB connection)

Xbox Adaptive Controller (Bluetooth or USB connection)
Thema:

1. Xbox One Controller recognized when connected by USB, but not by Bluetooth - Similar Threads - Controller recognized connected

2. Xbox app not recognizing my xbox 360 controller (wireless) but I've been playing games with it?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox app not recognizing my xbox 360 controller (wireless) but I've been playing games with it?: My PC is on windows 11. I have my Xbox 360 controller connected via the 'Xbox 360 wireless receiver for windows' the controller works fine for all games, I have just completed the Halo Master...
  3. My wired Xbox 360 controller isn't recognized by Windows anymore.

in XBoX on Consoles
    My wired Xbox 360 controller isn't recognized by Windows anymore.: I have a wired Xbox 360 controller and Windows 11. When I plug in the controller it says "USB device not recognized. The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows...
  4. Why does the cloud gaming website no longer recognize my controller as connected?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does the cloud gaming website no longer recognize my controller as connected?: Attempting to play Xbox cloud gaming on chrome, due to it crashing every time I attempt it on the xbox app. It no longer recognizes that my controller is connected and won’t allow me to use it...
  5. Windows 11 Xbox Elite Series 2 Controller recognized only as a normal controller via bluetooth

in XBoX on Consoles
    Windows 11 Xbox Elite Series 2 Controller recognized only as a normal controller via bluetooth: Split from this thread. Seems like I have a similar issue with a normal Series X controller but I'm not sure entirely : Recently an update caused the share button to stop working on Windows...
  6. Windows 11 Xbox Elite Series 2 Controller recognized only as a normal controller via bluetooth

in XBoX on Consoles
    Windows 11 Xbox Elite Series 2 Controller recognized only as a normal controller via bluetooth: Out of the box I connected my Xbox Elite Series 2 Controller via Bluetooth to my Windows 11 PC. It was detected as an elite controller. During gameplay I found that some button combinations would...
  7. [Continued] Windows 10 recognizes but cannot read input from dualshock 2 game controller...

in XBoX on Consoles
    [Continued] Windows 10 recognizes but cannot read input from dualshock 2 game controller...: I am creating this question because my previous question was closed due to inactivity. Please read this linked post for context on this issue:...
  8. Windows 10 recognizes but cannot read input from dualshock 2 game controller connected via USB

in XBoX on Consoles
    Windows 10 recognizes but cannot read input from dualshock 2 game controller connected via USB: Context I have two dualshock 2 game controllers that I connect to my system using DS2/USB adapters. I have used one of these controllers for a while with no issues. Recently, the controller broke...
  9. Series x isn't recognizing right joystick for multiple controllers

in XBoX on Consoles
    Series x isn't recognizing right joystick for multiple controllers: I was playing MW3 and my right joystick stopped working. I checked for update, un-synced and re-synced and power cycled both my controller and Xbox to no avail. I also reset my Series X. I tried...
  10. my xbox one controller will not connect. my computer doesnt recognize it is connected...

in XBoX on Consoles
    my xbox one controller will not connect. my computer doesnt recognize it is connected...: how can i connect my xbox one controller to my laptop? 24f9e331-0786-452e-83ab-02e98b751b87