Xbox One audio: everything works except game chat

Discus and support Xbox One audio: everything works except game chat in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Xbox One X The only issue is when using game chat (as opposed to Xbox Party Chat), I cannot hear the others in the game, even though the game shows... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by GLd Lord Dover, Oct 5, 2022.

1. Xbox One audio: everything works except game chat

Xbox One X
    The only issue is when using game chat (as opposed to Xbox Party Chat), I cannot hear the others in the game, even though the game shows that they are talking and they can hear me just fine.

I tried to find solutions on here, but all of the others complaining about the same thing never got any solutions and instead got responses that addressed a different problem that neither they nor I am having.

JUST in-game chat; I am hearing game audio just fine but no in-game chat voices; they can hear me just fine; Xbox Party Chat works fine.

Using in-game chat for cross-platform games, hence why we are not using Xbox Party Chat.

No, it isn't a volume or muted setting.
    No, it isn't an in-game setting.
    It even worked ONCE at random and not since then.

I get the same issue when using the new Discord feature, too.

Have tried just a normal wired TRRS headset plugged into my controllers, and have same results.
    My normal audio setup is: optical/TOSLINK to Dolby Digital receiver, HDMI audio off; Xbox Party Chat comes through Speakers only.
    Changing everything to stereo and Xbox Party Chat to Speakers & Headset had no difference in success.

tl;dr
    I cannot hear others via in-game chat even though they can hear me.

:)

GLd Lord Dover, Oct 5, 2022
  2. GLd Lord Dover Win User

The Internet is purposely vague on what we LOSE when we do a factory reset.
    Saved games?
    Video captures and screenshots?

I created a backup on one of my external drives, but that specifies what it INCLUDES and EXCLUDES, but never mentions either of the above.

There are SO many bugs in the Xbox One Settings menus:
    Under General Volume & audio output:
    It constantly says that Headset is connected on the right, even when NO headset is connected at all. (UPDATE, THIS WAS DUE TO THE CHATPAD USING THE 3.5MM PORT)
    HDMI audio lets me THINK I am changing it to anything other than Stereo, but it keeps resetting to Stereo (regardless of what Optical audio set to).
    ^^Turns out this glitch is caused whenever a 3.5mm plug is inserted into the controller, even when that plug is just an extension cable; tricking the controller and the Xbox One into thinking a headset is in use. Instead of actually saying something to that effect whenever I try to change other options, or even just graying out those options with an explanation of why, it let me think those were valid options that were just not sticking.

Once I can test the in-game chat again, I will give my findings.
    UPDATED IN ORIGINAL POST
  3. GLd Lord Dover Win User

I am not using beta build.

I have not tried using Wi-Fi; I am connected to my gateway with ethernet.

How would a different W-Fi make a difference on the issue I have described in detail?

The two links that you shared prove that you do not understand what my issue is.
  4. JosefLBohorquez Win User

Let me know how it goes with each one.
    Maybe one of the two makes a difference

If maybe the issue persists I can advise you other 2 things

A. Do a factory reset for the console but keeping games and apps
    Go to settings > system > console info > reset and then select keep my games and apps

B. Perform an offline update for your console. In that way Xbox system will be installed/updated from scratch.
    For this you need a USB and PC to format it and transfer files provided in the link below (with detailed steps and requirements):

https://support.xbox.com/help/hardware-network/...
  5. GLd Lord Dover Win User

Open NAT
    37.89Mbps download
    4.44Mbps upload
    0% packet loss
    1480 MTU
    62ms latency
    ALL SERVCICES ARE AVAILABLE
    IPv4
    WIRED connection

Even bought the official Microsoft Xbox Wireless Headset and all that did was add a new issue of THEM not able to hear ME EITHER.
    I can still see the voice indicator animating when THEY talk, but using that headset confirms that the in-game does not hear ME.
    Compared to my original issue where they COULD hear me.
    Pathetic that I got even worse results with the official headset.
  6. JosefLBohorquez Win User

Hi, I understand that you can find odd using a different wifi. But worth covering first the most simple and "random" things

If you don't want to test it, don't worry. We can leave that possibility at the end.

Please let me know in this case what NAT type do you have:
    Go to Settings > general > network config
Thema:

1. Xbox One audio: everything works except game chat - Similar Threads - audio everything works

2. Xbox Game Bar will not record internal audio and mic simultaneously when using the 30...

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox Game Bar will not record internal audio and mic simultaneously when using the 30...: When using the 30 second capture feature with capture audio recording set to All (game, enabled mic, apps, system), it does not record microphone audio. Note Game Bar's three options for...
  3. Xbox Elite Series 2 Controller Audio Distortion/Disconnecting issues

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Elite Series 2 Controller Audio Distortion/Disconnecting issues: I’m having a bit of an issue I can’t figure out. I have an Xbox seires X, Xbox Elite Series 2 Controller, Xbox Wired Headset and I consistently get audio distortion/glitching/popping through my...
  4. Cant un- select 'Let my receiver decode audio'

in XboX Insiders
    Cant un- select 'Let my receiver decode audio': Hi all, i tried to play a 4k Blu Ray disc on my Xbox (X series) and it came up with an audio error, i need to unselect 'Let my receiver decode audio'. I can unselect it but it doesn't stay at that...
  5. make usb audio headphones work on xbox series x

in XBoX on Consoles
    make usb audio headphones work on xbox series x: make usb audio headphones work on xbox series x 0c98e371-89d0-42b3-b2b3-9f0c23f85598
  6. Is there any way to include the voice chat audio from people who aren't on an Xbox in a...

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Is there any way to include the voice chat audio from people who aren't on an Xbox in a...: we have tried joining the party using a laptop and the xbox application. we have also tried to use discord to be in a party but we are still not able to get their voice chat in the stream....
  7. Why does my Xbox game chat work but no game audio or sounds

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my Xbox game chat work but no game audio or sounds: I just got the Astro A10 headset and have tried every way I could possibly find and think of. I just then managed to get the mic to work when spoken into and can hear other people in the Xbox...
  8. After rehooking up a audio extractor that was working fine no longer works on the Xbox but...

in XBoX on Consoles
    After rehooking up a audio extractor that was working fine no longer works on the Xbox but...: The extractor worked perfect until I rehooked it up the same way it was. I have tried a new extractor,new cables still on signal passing thru the audio extractor. Please help!...
  9. Xbox Series X - Reversed surround audio - Front coming from rears

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X - Reversed surround audio - Front coming from rears: Hey folks, My xbox series x 7.1 uncompressed audio constantly flips, front to back. Details: - Frequently when powering the xbox up from standby and/or returning to a game from another app my...
  10. Xbox Series X audio broken for everything except stereo

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X audio broken for everything except stereo: I have a Series X connected to an Onkyo TX-NR6050 receiver. The receiver is connected to a 5.1.2 speaker setup. In the Xbox audio settings it shows that my receiver is supported for every audio...