Xbox Live Gold access on single 'home' Xbox Series S for family member

Discus and support Xbox Live Gold access on single 'home' Xbox Series S for family member in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I have what feels like it should be a simple set up. New Xbox Series S machine set as my Home Xbox. Family account set up so that my son has his own... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by JimmyDickinson, Apr 8, 2022.

1. Xbox Live Gold access on single 'home' Xbox Series S for family member

I have what feels like it should be a simple set up. New Xbox Series S machine set as my Home Xbox. Family account set up so that my son has his own profile. I have purchased Game Pass Ultimate through my account.

I can install Game Pass games on the Xbox when logged in my profile, as can my son when logged in to his profile. I can play games through the Xbox using the cloud service but my son cannot as I appreciate that is not a facility shared with different users. Thats fine.

What I am having trouble with though is the Xbox Gold Subscription I get as part of the Ultimate package. All seems to work fine when logged in my profile. But when logged in to my sons profile on the same machine if he selects Xbox Gold it is asking for him to subscribe for £6.99 and not allowing him access. Everything I read states that anyone else who logs in to the machine should be able to share my Gold subscription so why is this happening?

If I download a Gold game in my profile it is available for him to then play in his profile just like the Game Pass games, but he does not have access to the Gold subscription when logged in like I think he should have, unless I am mistaken?

I have reset, deleted profiles and added them again. No joy. Not sure if its some setting blocking his access to my Gold subscription?

Any help would be appreciated.

:)

JimmyDickinson, Apr 8, 2022
  2. JimmyDickinson Win User

Thank you! That does explain it in layman's terms.

I guess I was misunderstanding what was meant by anyone else signing in to my machine being able to share my Gold subscription.

Accessing Gold from his profile for it to suggest he needs to subscribe was making me think that he was not sharing my subscription, but that must just be for him to access and download the free games available as you have described, rather than the other Gold features such as playing online which he will be sharing.
  3. JimmyDickinson Win User

There is plenty of information suggesting both Game Pass Ultimate and Xbox Live Gold are shareable on a machine designated as the 'Home Xbox'. The below information is from the Xbox support information.

I have an Ultimate subscription and my Xbox is set as my home machine. My son is simply logging in to his profile on that same Xbox and has access to games I have downloaded on my side, but if he goes in to Live Gold on his side its asking him to subscribe and not allowing him to use my Gold subscription as suggested.

Can I share Xbox Game Pass Ultimate on my Home Xbox?

Yes, standard Xbox home sharing policies apply for both Xbox Game Pass and Xbox Live Gold. If you have an Ultimate subscription and have designated your home Xbox, you’ll automatically share your subscription with any profile signed in on that console.

Sharing your Xbox Live Gold subscription

Here’s how Xbox Live Gold subscribers can extend their Gold subscription benefits to friends and family.

At home: Make your primary Xbox (if you have more than one) your home Xbox, which gives anyone who signs in to the console with their profile the ability to use your Gold subscription.
  4. JimmyDickinson Win User

Yeah I appreciate that but that wasn’t what I was trying to achieve. I did say in my original post I know he can’t use my cloud games service through his profile and that was fine.

I simply wanted to ensure he was able to share my subscribed services on the same machine as me. It seems he can though and I was just misunderstanding how this actually appears when logged in his profile.
  5. Shaggy2000 Win User

From what I understand Games Pass isn't a sharable thing, and because Xbox Gold has come with Games Pass it also mustn't be shareable, because of this, Microsoft is rumoured to be bringing out a family plan for Games Pass so it can be shared with family members.

Exclusive: Microsoft is moving ahead with an Xbox Game Pass Family Plan | Windows Central

Hopefully this will be officially announced soon as I think a lot of families out there would make use of it.
  6. ClausReich Win User

Hello JimmyDickinson! I'm Claus, an Independent Microsoft Community Consultant for Xbox! Glad to be able to help you!

Your son will have access to all of the Xbox Live Gold service, expect being able to redeem free Games with Gold titles, which comes with Live Gold, and can only be redeemed on your account (that has Ultimate). Expect that, your son will be able to play any Game Pass titles installed on your Series S, and also have access to online multiplayer, which is through Live Gold.

Basically, if your son can play online pretty much on any titles, but isn't able to redeem the Games with Gold (that shows up under My games & apps > Full Library > Xbox Live Gold), everything is normal as it should be. Your son would need to have a Live Gold subscription active on his account to be able to get those free games redeemed on his account.
Thema:

1. Xbox Live Gold access on single 'home' Xbox Series S for family member - Similar Threads - Live Gold access

2. Unable to access Xbox Live Gold games even though I have game pass

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Unable to access Xbox Live Gold games even though I have game pass: So back when I had Xbox Live Gold I got The Division as a Gold game, and I recently decided to play it again. However whenever I go to open the game it says I need to renew my Xbox Subscription...
  3. do i need to have an x-box live account to access the gold and diamond keys in borderlands 3

in XBoX Games and Apps
    do i need to have an x-box live account to access the gold and diamond keys in borderlands 3: would very much like to know if i can get the golden and diamond keys in borderlands 3 just by progressing in the game, or do i need an x-box live account, 6a959c65-0ce2-4cbc-873e-18266d3b5e11
  4. Is there anyway to cancel an xbox live gold subscription to an account I can't access anymore?

in XBoX on Windows
    Is there anyway to cancel an xbox live gold subscription to an account I can't access anymore?: So it turns out my mum had been paying for both my old and new xbox live gold subscriptions without realising, and now i can't access my old account as we don't remember the email and password and...
  5. New Game Pass Ultimate Owner, ZERO access to Xbox Gold Live for a $1

in XBoX on Consoles
    New Game Pass Ultimate Owner, ZERO access to Xbox Gold Live for a $1: I just got a new Xbox Series S and Game Pass Ultimate for a $1 but I can’t access any of the online multiplayer servers via the Xbox Live Gold that supposedly comes with Game Pass Ultimate. I...
  6. Xbox insider "no xbox live gold requirement" early access

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox insider "no xbox live gold requirement" early access: hi, this is a question for Xbox. I joined the xbox insider omega deal thing to access the upcoming no "xbox-live-gold-requirement" feature and when i went onto a free multiplayer game like...
  7. Does fornite require xbox live gold as it is in early access??

in XBoX on Consoles
    Does fornite require xbox live gold as it is in early access??: As the xbox insider said that the members in xbox insiders can play free to play games without live gold and fortnite is in early access can i play fortnite without gold membership??...
  8. xbox live gold access on home console profiles

in XBoX Games and Apps
    xbox live gold access on home console profiles: I have xbox live gold and it works fine on my profile. I have set up home console so my son can use Gold too, if needed, and I do have age restrictions in place for him. When he plays Destiny 2...
  9. I purchased a 1 month Xbox Live Gold Subscription two days ago and I still can't access...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I purchased a 1 month Xbox Live Gold Subscription two days ago and I still can't access...: I purchased a 1 month Xbox Live Gold Subscription two days ago on the official xbox.com site and I still can't access Xbox Live Gold benefits. I've tried deleting my Xbox profile from my Xbox and...
  10. $1 Per Day Xbox Live Gold Access

in XboX Insiders
    $1 Per Day Xbox Live Gold Access: As working adults, we cannot play Xbox as much as we used to. We still want to play occasionally, including online, but we rarely have the time to do so. We should not have to pay for a full...