Xbox Game Pass on PC suddenly not recognizing external media

Discus and support Xbox Game Pass on PC suddenly not recognizing external media in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; I have a 256gb SSD in my computer, so I needed extra space for games. I have a 512gb Samsung microSD that stays in my laptop 24/7. I moved a bunch of... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by [Auto], Mar 13, 2023.

1. [Auto]
    [Auto] Guest

I have a 256gb SSD in my computer, so I needed extra space for games. I have a 512gb Samsung microSD that stays in my laptop 24/7. I moved a bunch of games to the new drive and it's been working flawlessly for over a month. I also have Steam games installed on it that work perfectly. But I opened the Xbox app today to find that the games installed on it were missing from the list. I tried to re-add the drive but it told be that new installations can only be installed on the C drive. Can anyone help me out here?

Xbox Game Pass on PC suddenly not recognizing external media [​IMG]

(Yes I have followed basic troubleshooting at

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/hardware-network/storage/console-doesnt-detect-external-storage)

:)

[Auto], Mar 13, 2023
  2. [Auto] Win User

Are you serious? 2 days to get an automated response that asks me the questions I already answered? I’m unsubscribing game pass
  3. CarTzy Win User

Hello [Auto],

Sorry for the delay in answering your question, and I apologize if the reply seems to lack substance. Please be guided by the fact that this is a community forum and everyone is open to post and answer each other's community questions. If you need immediate help, you can contact our live support.

But moving forward, the troubleshooting method we provided has different steps from the troubleshooting steps you followed. I would like to know if you were able to perform these steps.

And here are some additional troubleshooting steps that you can perform to try and fix the issue.

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files - Microsoft Support

How to perform a clean boot in Windows - Microsoft Support

Also kindly share with us the current version and edition of your Windows OS and the Xbox App version.

I understand you frustration with regards on this issue and if you need immediate assistance, you can reach out to our live support team by following the steps below.

1. Please use this link: Contact us | Xbox Support
    2. Scroll down and look at the lower left side if you can see the page matches the country/region you are currently located.
    3. If not, please select the country/region it is showing and select the correct one among the list.
    4. Make sure to use to check the available contact times of the support.
    5. Select the "Contact Us" button
    6. Select the drop-down menu options that will match your concern.
    7. The next window will provide you with support articles based on your request and we recommend reviewing the relevant articles before selecting the "See contact options" button.
    8. On the final window, you will be presented with multiple options. We suggest selecting either the "Chat online" or the "Request a call" options to speak with someone. Be sure to provide as much detail as possible.
    9. If you cannot get connected to the support, please use the Virtual Agent and enter this exact phrase, "Talk to an agent".
    10. Should you encounter same issue and have an error message please let us know so we can forward your findings to the Internal Support Team.
  4. CarTzy Win User

Hello [Auto],

Welcome to the Xbox Community Forum. Thank you for sharing your concern with us today and we hope that all is well. Let me see how I can assist you with this concern.

We’d like to know more about it in details so that we can provide a more accurate resolution for you.

• What troubleshooting steps have you done?
    • Was this working before?
    • Recent activity or changes made before the issue appeared?

So far, from the details you provided, you can try the following steps and let us know the result. You can just skip those you have done already.

Restart your deviceAs basic as this is, a simple restart can set many things right.

Make sure Windows is up to date
    1. Press the Start button on the taskbar, type settings, and then select Settings.
    2. On Windows 10, select Update & Security. On Windows 11, select Windows Update.
    3. On the Windows Update page, select Check for updates to see if any updates are available for your device.
    4. Once the updates have downloaded, select Install now to start the installation.
    5. Following installation, we recommend that you restart your device so that the latest updates can take effect.
    For more info, go to:

Windows Update

Update your Windows and device driversFor the best game performance, make sure your system’s video card drivers (or display adapter drivers) are up to date. Drivers are available on the support website for your computer manufacturer, or if your computer system is custom built, on the video card manufacturer’s support website. Updating video card drivers can resolve game crashes, improve frame rates, and improve overall game performance.

Make sure both the Xbox and Gaming Services apps are up to date
    1. Press the Start button on the taskbar, type store, and open the Microsoft Store app.
    2. Select Library.
    3. Under Updates & downloads, check if there are any updates available for the Xbox app or Gaming Services app. If an update is available, select Update.

Make sure you’re signed in to the Xbox app and the Store with the same accountWhen you open the Xbox app on your device, be sure you sign in to the app using your own Xbox account. You may also need to be signed in to the Store (xbox.com) in order to play a purchased game.

To make sure your permissions for the game can be validated, be sure to sign in to both the Store and the Xbox app using the same account that was used to purchase the game.

For help with signing in, go to:

Sign in to Xbox

Having trouble installing EA Play games from the Xbox app for Windows?Try closing both the Xbox app and the EA app, and then relaunch the Xbox app.

Remove and reinstall Gaming ServicesReinstall the Gaming Services app on your Windows 10/11 device:

1. Select the Search icon on the taskbar, type powershell, right-click on Windows PowerShell, and then select Run as administrator.
    2. In Windows PowerShell, type the following command and press Enter:

get-appxpackage Microsoft.GamingServices | remove-AppxPackage -allusers
    3. In the same window, type the following command and press Enter:

start ms-windows-store://pdp/?productid=9MWPM2CQNLHN
    4. Install the app on that page and select Yes when you receive the User Account Control (UAC) prompt.
    5. Restart your device and try to install the game again.

Troubleshoot issues with the Xbox app for Windows | Xbox Support

We're looking forward to hearing from you. If there are any inquiries about our description or if there are any misconceptions, do reply to the post.
  5. FiercestTrout16 Win User

Using External Hard Drive ?

@GrowlingYapper I own a 4TB external HD that I use to play media off of on my Xbox 360. It was a bit of a pain getting it to recognize it as well as recognize it as a media player which are two totally different things. Do you know if a 4TB would work as
    a media player on an Xbox One. I plan on grabbing a one but want to use my external as a media drive and have no intentions of using it as a stroage for games, etc.
  6. andersonpassos Win User

Gamepass uninstalls Gears of War 4 when I install it to external drive

Game Pass games use protected folders, and if format Windows, it no longer recognizes any game even if it is on another external hard drive or hard drive. If you install it on a Windows or PC you don't recognize any of the games.
Thema:

1. Xbox Game Pass on PC suddenly not recognizing external media - Similar Threads - Game Pass suddenly

2. My partner and I have 1 Xbox s series s, 1 tv, 2 controllers, game pass ultimate and all we...

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    My partner and I have 1 Xbox s series s, 1 tv, 2 controllers, game pass ultimate and all we...: My partner and I have 1 Xbox s series s, 1 tv, 2 controllers, game pass ultimate and all we want to do is play 2 player games together. why is this so hard?! Can someone please help?...
  3. Can't Install Game Pass Games to Specific Drive. Error: "This drive isn't formatted as...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't Install Game Pass Games to Specific Drive. Error: "This drive isn't formatted as...: I am paying for Game Pass, but can't install large games because the 18TB Seagate Exos x18 7200RPM HDD is for some reason disliked by Microsoft, Xbox, or Game Pass. I purchased such a huge drive...
  4. Xbox Game Pass Ultimate - family member suddenly unable to download games

in XBoX Accessibility
    Xbox Game Pass Ultimate - family member suddenly unable to download games: Long story short, my son is listed as a family member on my account, and has had no issues downloading games previously, until tonight. Now he's getting a message saying his subscription has...
  5. My Game Pass Ultimate suddenly stopped working on my phone.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    My Game Pass Ultimate suddenly stopped working on my phone.: Everywhere I look on the app it is saying to upgrade, but I already have it. My subscription is active and up to date. I was able to play this afternoon just fine, but now suddenly I can't access...
  6. My game pass subscription is current and paid but I can't play halo infinite all of a sudden

in XBoX Games and Apps
    My game pass subscription is current and paid but I can't play halo infinite all of a sudden: Every time i try to play halo infinite i get a prompt saying "Looks like you have to renew your xbox game pass." I have tried resetting my console 3 times. I have checked my game pass ultimate...
  7. I was just playing hitman and I have it from game pass and now all of a sudden I can’t play it

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I was just playing hitman and I have it from game pass and now all of a sudden I can’t play it: I can’t play the game even though I bought DLC and it comes with game pass b3440665-8632-4d77-bf4b-ba50d637966a
  8. Can't play game pass games offline like before all of a sudden.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can't play game pass games offline like before all of a sudden.: I recently renewed my game pass ultimate, i don't have internet so i borrow some from a buddy to download some games and i go home. I get home to play my new games and none of them can be played,...
  9. Forza Horizon 4 all of a sudden needs Xbox game pass

in XBoX Accessibility
    Forza Horizon 4 all of a sudden needs Xbox game pass: hello, In October I bought the digital version of Forza Horizon 4 and everything worked fine. Now all of a sudden I get the error message that I have to renew Xbox game pass?...
  10. Xbox Live Summer Quests & Game Pass - all the sudden the site says I'm no longer eligible

in XBoX Sales and Promo
    Xbox Live Summer Quests & Game Pass - all the sudden the site says I'm no longer eligible: I get the "no longer eligible message" when I visit Get Xbox Live Gold for Just $1 yet I have both Xbox Live Gold & Game Pass at the moment. The last time I was able to view the quests was...