Xbox Game Pass Games Won't Launch / Install / Reinstall After Changing Drive Letters

Discus and support Xbox Game Pass Games Won't Launch / Install / Reinstall After Changing Drive Letters in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; Overview TL;DR Upgraded computer Windows didn't set the drive letters to the way I had them so I set them the way I had them Game Pass games won't... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by ChangedLetters, Nov 5, 2021.

  1. Xbox Game Pass Games Won't Launch / Install / Reinstall After Changing Drive Letters


    Overview

    TL;DR

    • Upgraded computer
    • Windows didn't set the drive letters to the way I had them so I set them the way I had them
    • Game Pass games won't launch saying "The storage device might be missing or disconnected".
    • Tried uninstalling the game and reinstalling and got the error "0x800701b1".
    • Discovered Windows never removed the folder for the game still existing on the drive.
    Questions

    1. Is it possible to have Windows "rediscover" the existing files for the games (manually trigger Windows to "rediscover files", set location in registry, update with script, change manifest file, offer my first born child)?
    2. Is it possible to fix the "0x800701b1" error without having to give myself owner access to the "WindowsApps" folder?
    Backstory

    After upgrading my computer and starting up for the first time the drive letters became out of order. I was able to launch games on the new drive letters Windows assigned the drives, but I still wanted my drives with the letters I had them at before. After a week I changed the drive letters back manually using the Disk Management utility. After changing the drive letters I get the error "[GAME] can't open because it cannot be found. The storage device might be missing or disconnected." Sure, this is expected since Windows doesn't know that the drive changed letters, but it has to have some way of changing the path since it isn't on the same drive letter as it was before the computer upgrade. Dropping the dream of being able to use the existing files, I have also tried the uninstall/reinstall method. I was able to successfully uninstall the app in as far as Windows is concerned, but I suspect that Windows didn't actually remove the original files that still exist on the drive. When trying to install the game again I am presented with the error "Something unexpected happened... Error code: 0x800701b1" as shown in the image below.


    Xbox Game Pass Games Won't Launch / Install / Reinstall After Changing Drive Letters [​IMG]


    After giving myself ownership access to the "WindowsApps" on the drive my suspicions have been confirmed and I found the game's folder still inside.

    Main Problems

    "[GAME] can't open because it cannot be found. The storage device might be missing or disconnected."

    Ideally I would like to be able to tell Windows or have windows repair the path to the files so I don't have to go through and re-download 300GB+ of games (internet data cap). Is this possible?

    "Something unexpected happened... Error code: 0x800701b1"

    What is the best method to fix this issue? The best I have found is to make myself the owner of the folder and delete the folder myself. After doing this

    What I've Tried

    1. I found https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uszb1PQBWAM video by xPairOfDice trying to use using Windows Settings app to attempt to have Windows refresh the app location by changing the app location and then setting it back to what it was before. I've done this in various forms of changing it to drives, restarting, and setting it back. This method may have worked for some games as some of them launch from the new drive letter and some give the error that the game cannot be found.
    2. Granting myself access to the "WindowsApps" folder on the drive with the games, manually deleting the folder, and then downloading it again. This method worked, but it doesn't seem like a user friendly way to deal with this issue. Windows should be able to detect that existing files are present on the drive and try to rediscover them. After trying this fix, some of the game open to the "Gaming Services" Windows Store page for whatever reason.
    3. Upgrading Windows to 21H1. Yeah I didn't think it would work either.
    4. Running "sfc /scannow"... hahaha. Always have to try. This has actually repaired something once in the 100+ times I've run it.

    :)
     
    ChangedLetters, Nov 5, 2021
    #1
  2. Christopher Revoredo Win User

    Xbox Game Pass Games Won't Launch / Install / Reinstall After Changing Drive Letters

    Hi there welcome to the community forum! Christopher here, an Xbox fan just like you and has been on Xbox for years already. I would really love to make your day by helping you out. I had this issue around a year ago. I could tell you all the 10 steps I followed to solve it, unfortunately what helped me to solved this was to restart my PC as it comes here:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/rec...

    In the part of Windows 10 click on "Reset this PC" these instructions will help you to solve the problem, you can even leave your important files!
  3. ChangedLetters Win User

    Xbox Game Pass Games Won't Launch / Install / Reinstall After Changing Drive Letters

    Hi Christopher,

    Thanks for your help! After making my post I tried a deleting the "WindowsApps" game folders, but those folders are really locked down. I even tried deleting the entire "WindowsApps" folder (which I was able to do, kind of). When deleting the folder, the contents of the folder weren't actually deleted and remained on the drive in some other hidden directory. The next step I took was trying to format the entire drive to avoid having to reset my PC. After moving all the data that wasn't WindowsApps related I tried formatted the drive. When trying to install a game from Xbox Game Pass it failed with the error code "0x80070490". If a drive re-format didn't work I was left with your option of resetting the PC. The reset took around 30 mins to complete and another couple hours get everything reinstalled and setup (for the most part).

    Lesson learned, don't touch WindowsApps. Anything having to do with Windows Apps are extremely difficult to deal and aren't worth it. Hopefully Microsoft improves the Xbox Game Pass in the future to allow for migrating game directories from one computer/drive to another without the need of heavily protected folders.

    Thank you again for your solution!
  4. Kartik Singla Win User

    why is halo infinte (multiplayer) is stuck at downloading on PC ?

    Hello Jesse

    The story is that I already had Halo Infinite installed in my PC but after some days I tried to launch the game but it didn't launched Idk what happened but I tried to reinstall it in the same drive and here are we now.

    I changed the drive after cancelling the install.

  5. Natlivings Win User

    games on xbox app wont work

    It's just like that, I'm having the same issue, I've formatted the drive, and a fresh windows 11 installation, any game from game pass won't launch.
  6. ټ M4tSt0rm Qcټ Win User

    xbox game pass full lag and error

    I uninstall and reinstall 3-4 times the xbox game pass and its does not work more it installs itself on the isque C I am able to install and play games on the C but as soon as I install the games on the D its function not the games installs but do not want this launch jai the error code 0x80073d0d a month ago I had no problem on the xbox game application pass he sees my disk D when I select it it changes alone to C when I reinstall xbox I am able to change on the D but immediately I close it once it changes alone on the and could not go on the D
Thema:

Xbox Game Pass Games Won't Launch / Install / Reinstall After Changing Drive Letters

Loading...
  1. Xbox Game Pass Games Won't Launch / Install / Reinstall After Changing Drive Letters - Similar Threads - Game Pass Games

  2. Why is Xbox ignoring the easiest Game Pass win on the market?

    in XboX Insiders
    Why is Xbox ignoring the easiest Game Pass win on the market?: Let’s be real for a second. Activision has been part of Xbox for almost a year now, yet Black Ops 1 & Black Ops 2 are still missing from Game Pass The Tech Gap: Millions of us are on digital-only...
  3. Please add Xbox Gift Cards and Game Pass to Microsoft Rewards in Dominican Republic,...

    in XboX Insiders
    Please add Xbox Gift Cards and Game Pass to Microsoft Rewards in Dominican Republic,...: Hello Xbox Team. Microsoft Rewards is officially active across Latin America, and we love accumulating points. However, the redemption catalog in countries like the Dominican Republic, Colombia,...
  4. Dissapointed about the cap on pass and cloud gaming

    in XboX Insiders
    Dissapointed about the cap on pass and cloud gaming: I've been playing Xbox for years and others and I are opting out of buying game passes next month because of the cap. This topic is being covered by many famous youtubers prompting the exit of...
  5. does anyone have a game pass code i cld have

    in XboX Insiders
    does anyone have a game pass code i cld have: need game pass to play w pals would mean alot submitted by /u/Valuable_Cicada_8404 [link] [comments]
  6. I made an open-source tool to fix XBOX PC Game Pass profiles missing from G Hub

    in XboX Insiders
    I made an open-source tool to fix XBOX PC Game Pass profiles missing from G Hub: G Hub often fails to detect games installed through the XBOX app on PC. When that happens, you can’t create profiles that activate automatically when those games launch. I made a free,...
  7. "welcome to game pass" email, WITHOUT PURCHASE, doesn't show subscription in microsoft account

    in XboX Insiders
    "welcome to game pass" email, WITHOUT PURCHASE, doesn't show subscription in microsoft account: hey yall, basically, my mom got an email from " xbox@e.xbox.com " (which i googled and it said thats a legit email they use) saying "welcome to xbox game pass" and "game pass is now yours". she...
  8. Bought a game on Xbox One but cannot play it and I have game pass essential

    in XboX Insiders
    Bought a game on Xbox One but cannot play it and I have game pass essential: I bought Escape the backrooms on my Xbox One but it has the circle with a line through it once I click on it. Is there anyway for me to play this game or no? submitted by /u/Loud_Boysenberry_914...
  9. Xbox Live and Xbox Game Pass cost?????

    in XboX Insiders
    Xbox Live and Xbox Game Pass cost?????: I truly enjoy the gameplay and Xbox Live experience, but I find the monthly cost to be quite high. While it's clear there's an interest in encouraging online play and Xbox Game Pass subscriptions,...
  10. Can’t play online even with Game Pass Ultime on home Xbox with another profile

    in XboX Insiders
    Can’t play online even with Game Pass Ultime on home Xbox with another profile: I’m on Alpha Skip Ahead latest version. My main gamertag is subscribed to Game Pass Ultimate and works like a charm. My Series X console it marked with this gamertag as main one. On other...