Xbox Game Bar FPS Not Showing and Task Manager Performance Differences?

Discus and support Xbox Game Bar FPS Not Showing and Task Manager Performance Differences? in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Hi there, as an Xbox controller player on PC I have relied on the Xbox Game Bar app for a long time. Recently, my FPS counter has not been working. It... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by OompaMyLoompaa, Oct 9, 2022.

1. Xbox Game Bar FPS Not Showing and Task Manager Performance Differences?

Hi there, as an Xbox controller player on PC I have relied on the Xbox Game Bar app for a long time.

Recently, my FPS counter has not been working. It will read "--" instead of a number, while also telling me I need to launch a new game to get FPS info. This happens while I'm already in-game, playing games like Halo Infinite.

Some times it won't show a "--" and actually read a number, but then it will disappear and go back to "--" again.

Additionally, for the first time my CPU percentage usage is reading different numbers from Task Manager. Before, they both read the same percentage. At the same time, the new Game Bar update has made me click on the app "home" to see performance. This is not ideal because you did not have to do that before to see your performance while you were in the middle of gameplay. All you had to do was press the Xbox button on your controller.

Would appreciate your help.

:)

OompaMyLoompaa, Oct 9, 2022
  2. JosefLBohorquez Win User

Hi, sorry for the late reply and thanks for the extra information.

Can you try in this case delete the registry keys related to game bar as advised previously?

And... By the way. Are you part of the windows gaming program or are you using a Windows insider build?
  3. OompaMyLoompaa Win User

Hi Josef,

I did the following:

"Go to windows settings > apps > search for Game bar app > click on it and select advanced options.

After that, click repair and then reset
    Restart the PC and try again"

For some reason Game Bar app is installed but won't happen now. I have tried both pressing the Xbox button and opening it through settings. The Microsoft Store says it is installed.

EDIT: I went ahead and followed your advice, pasting the following command in PowerShell and I can now access the Game Bar app. However, the CPU usage is still showing different numbers from Task Manager.

UPDATE: Game Bar is counting frames in the Splitgate game menu, but the frame counter will disappear and read "--" and "launch new game to see FPS info" when I actually enter a game. Game Bar used to read FPS in absolutely any game, regardless of being in the menus or in-game.

FPS counter works perfectly on Halo: The Master Chief Collection, reading frames instead of "--".
  4. JosefLBohorquez Win User

Hi and thanks for reaching Microsoft Xbox gamer's community. My name is Josef.
    I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft Xbox user like you.

Hope you're doing great today despite this OOMPAMYLOOMPAA

First, can you double check if your windows system and all apps are up to date?

Open Settings, click Update and Security and then Windows Update;

Click Check for Updates;

Click the Download and Install Now option, if available (Install optional updates as well)

Also, check the Microsoft Store for any updates on the Xbox apps and its services and update everything too.

If everything looks good, try this:

Go to windows settings > apps > search for gaming services app > click on it and select advanced options.

Then do the same for the Game bar app:

Go to windows settings > apps > search for Game bar app > click on it and select advanced options.

Restart the PC and try again

If that doesn't work, May I know if you tried reinstalling the game bar via powershell command?
    Right-click on the Start button and select Windows PowerShell (Admin) from the pop-up menu.

Copy and paste the following command in PowerShell and hit Enter to uninstall the Game Bar from your system.

Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.XboxGamingOverlay | Remove-AppxPackage

Now head over to Microsoft Store and search for Xbox Game Bar, install it and give it a new try

If maybe that doesn't work please delete the registry keys associated with the game bar :

Press Windows key+R then type regedit and press Enter.
    Go to this path (expand the folders using the little ">")

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GameDVR

Once there delete all the keys except (Default), restart your PC and try again
  5. Lucas Lauer Win User

Xbox game bar is not launching.

I understand. Game Bar does not even open? It shows you any error message or not?

Also, when you click on it to open, does it show on Task Manager? Please go to start > search and click on task manager. Then try to open Game Bar and see if it appears on the task manager, please.
  6. DorianLuna Win User

Xbox game bar is not launching.

Game Bar does show as running in task manager when I use one of the shortcuts but the program does not actually open so there are no error messages to diagnose the issue. If I end task to close Game Bar then try a shortcut again it does show again on task manager.
Thema:

1. Xbox Game Bar FPS Not Showing and Task Manager Performance Differences? - Similar Threads - Game Bar FPS

2. Xbox game bar fps counter only works sometimes

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox game bar fps counter only works sometimes: As the title says, Xbox game bar fps counter only works sometimes. I'll be playing the same game (ie jedi survivor) and I'd say only 30% of the time does the fps counter actually show my fps. The...
  3. PC Xbox App / Game Bar fps counter

in XboX Insiders
    PC Xbox App / Game Bar fps counter: There has been a lot of updates to the PC Xbox App and Game Bar recently but my Game Bar fps counter seems to just show "--" for the majority of time now. Usually fixed by completely resetting...
  4. XBox Game Bar FPS problem

in XBoX Games and Apps
    XBox Game Bar FPS problem: Hello, I use a Windows 10 Home PC and log in to an admin account only. I have not signed in into Xbox Socials in my Game Bar. I have pinned my performance widget as an overlay onto my screen and...
  5. Xbox game bar FPS counter issue

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox game bar FPS counter issue: Hello, Well I've recently tried to enable the Xbox game bar FPS counter function. Problem is even after I gave User Account Control to the game bar and restarted it the game bar still shows the...
  6. Xbox Game Bar FPS counter not working

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox Game Bar FPS counter not working: Hi, I'm trying to see how much FPS the game has and I can't see it because it's constantly in a "Loading..." state, how do I fix this? [img] 0e7b2628-aa3d-4a2d-a619-536f622d3197
  7. Xbox Game Bar won't show my fps.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Game Bar won't show my fps.: So, for some reason when I tried to Request Access, it won't load or it won't work. I even have the latest version. feaf4b0c-61da-46aa-b5d1-6244c6214efe
  8. How do I fix Xbox game bar not recording last 30 seconds at 60 fps all the last 30 second...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How do I fix Xbox game bar not recording last 30 seconds at 60 fps all the last 30 second...: well whenever i clip the last 30 seconds of my game (minecraft) the clips aren't at 60 fps but lower, how can i fix this? c1333bcd-18b0-4fcd-b2b6-6fe506bba42d
  9. Windows 11 Home - Xbox Game Bar FPS counter not working, even after adding my account to...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Windows 11 Home - Xbox Game Bar FPS counter not working, even after adding my account to...: Using Windows 11 Home so the computer management solution does not work. It says that I need to request access, which I have done. Accepted it all and restarted my laptpo, but stil not working. I...
  10. Game bar FPS counter not accurate

in XboX Insiders
    Game bar FPS counter not accurate: The game bar FPS counter seems to be really off. I get about 400 FPS in rocket league but game bar only shows 200. Same for some intensive games like bf that says I’m only getting like 40 but I...