Xbox Game App suddenly lost most of my storage drives

Discus and support Xbox Game App suddenly lost most of my storage drives in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; Hi, I'd been using the Xbox app with the MS Game pass recently, but upon logging in today, all my games were missing from the app. When I go to the... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by JordanMartin8, Jun 1, 2021.

1. Xbox Game App suddenly lost most of my storage drives

Hi,

I'd been using the Xbox app with the MS Game pass recently, but upon logging in today, all my games were missing from the app. When I go to the games on its store, it believes they are not installed. If I ask it to install any game, it can only find my C drive and my E drive, however I have 3 other drives that were perfectly accessible before. in this case I had installed all my games on the app to the H drive which is my NVME SSD, but it cannot find that at all now.

Windows can still use these drives however, they are accessible in file explorer, other programs like Steam can install to them, and I can run programs that are on these drives without any issue.

I am on the version of windows 10 21H1, I tried resetting the xbox app, uninstalling it, tried a system restore, nothing has worked and it cannot use my drives and has still lost all my games ( and I can't even delete the files manually due to how Windows 10 protects its files even from an admin).

Any idea how to fix this?

:)

JordanMartin8, Jun 1, 2021
  2. JordanMartin8 Win User

An update:
    I went onto the help via Windows 10 as this issue has extended to the "Change where new content is saved" storage settings on the OS itself.
    After multiple agents and some failed stuff, one agent realized that somehow every other drive except the two it can spot are owned by SYSTEM, not myself or TrustedInstaller etc, and gave me some commands to try and fix that (takeown /f :g\ /r, and icacls g:\ /grant administrators:F /t)

These two commands, after an hour going through the drives, fixed the issue on some of the drives, but it lasted until I did a restart and the problem immediately returned, except now the ownership is fixed and those commands don't produce the result again.

I'm genuinely clueless as to what is causing this, I had no issues at all until I used this cursed xbox app.
  3. JordanMartin8 Win User

Hi, this didn't offer a solution. The apps are simply disappearing, but the storage they are on is perfectly functional otherwise. It is still happening and I cannot access the games. It's gotten worse now, with the game-pass not able to see *any* drives at all.

In my settings on the Xbox App, it believes all its dependencies are not installed and if I ask it to install them, they reinstall but it still can't find them. The app appears to be given no access to any part of my PC without any reason or explanation.
  4. XBF Meryem R Win User

5. Puppy Fujo Win User

Not enough space error

And here is the post to make it easier.

There is only a certain amount of space dedicated for file storage as they drive is split into partitions. Just like an external drive, it can be formatted for file storage or games and apps. It can't hold both. So
    they split the internal drive so there is some file storage with most of the drive dedicated to storage of games and apps. I noticed the same thing when using my console to download videos using torrents or using Edge to download videos. It is the only logical
    conclusion given these observations.
  6. EggsBoxJuan Win User

Can I transfer data from default hard drive to external hard drive, and if so, how can I?

Hi,

you most certainly can copy/move your data between the xbox hard drive and an external hard drive.

How do I manage external storage?

In My games & apps, you can view content by storage device. To do this, highlight a game or app, press the Menu button on your controller, and then select Manage game. You will then be able to move or copy content between storage devices.

More information regarding external storage can be found in the link below.

support.xbox.com/.../manage-storage
Thema:

1. Xbox Game App suddenly lost most of my storage drives - Similar Threads - Game App suddenly

2. i cant install apps but i can install games and games updates

in XboX Insiders
    i cant install apps but i can install games and games updates: i tried almost everything, heres the list of all i tried three factory resets change dns use phone hotspot offline factory reset with pendrive use another acc to install restart my router...
  3. Is there a way to pin the game/app tiles at the top of the home screen?

in XBoX on Windows
    Is there a way to pin the game/app tiles at the top of the home screen?: Hi, I just wondered if there was a way to pin the game/app tiles at the top of the home screen? This is mostly just an aesthetics thing for me but also to make things easy to access too. I...
  4. i can install games but it cant install apps

in XBoX on Windows
    i can install games but it cant install apps: So, basically i cant install apps, when i try to install games like minecraft / fortnite (or another random game) it installs perfectly, but when i try to install any app like youtube / prime...
  5. Why The Sign-in Window is closing in games and app in windows 11 (RE:)

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why The Sign-in Window is closing in games and app in windows 11 (RE:): The Sign-in Window or Pop-Up is automatically Close in games and app. When i Click Sign-in inside an app or Game It closes quickly So Even I cant Type Anything. I Tested So Many Apps And That Are...
  6. so my xbox wired controller is acting wierd on xbox game pass app it makes me look around...

in XBoX on Consoles
    so my xbox wired controller is acting wierd on xbox game pass app it makes me look around...: so my xbox wired controller is acting wierd on xbox game pass app it makes me look around LT and RT instead of one of my joysticks f4b7a134-1bf5-46de-a074-9f4c339e40f9
  7. Installed games suddenly not appearing in Xbox App

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Installed games suddenly not appearing in Xbox App: They will play fine on their own, but are not showing in the xbox app. 1d46ad12-141e-4fa3-a8eb-fa920f05e645
  8. Suddenly unable to install any games from the Xbox app & Microsoft Store

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Suddenly unable to install any games from the Xbox app & Microsoft Store: I've spent so much time on this issue for the past few days. I am unable to install games on my PC via the xbox app & the microsoft store. Microsoft store install button does nothing. I have...
  9. XBOX App PC suddenly launches games VERY slowly if at all.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    XBOX App PC suddenly launches games VERY slowly if at all.: I have run into an issue where games through the XBOX App will load extremely slowly. For instance FORZA 5 will open its launch splash screen and take over 30 seconds to bring up another splash...
  10. Controller suddenly turns right on the Xbox menu, ALL Apps and ALL games. The controller...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Controller suddenly turns right on the Xbox menu, ALL Apps and ALL games. The controller...: Hey, been on the platform for as long as I remember. Anyways I have been experiencing an issue i haven't seen before anywhere. My controller's right stick input just sticks right, making it...