Xbox Game App on W11 - Not allowing me to detect already download games or delete old files.

Discus and support Xbox Game App on W11 - Not allowing me to detect already download games or delete old files. in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, I have been experiencing an issue with my xbox app on windows 11 that i couldn't install or play my existing game (posted here: Xbox App... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by AshrafSharaf, Jul 5, 2022.

1. AshrafSharaf
    AshrafSharaf Guest

Xbox Game App on W11 - Not allowing me to detect already download games or delete old files.

Hello,

I have been experiencing an issue with my xbox app on windows 11 that i couldn't install or play my existing game (posted here: Xbox App errors 0x00000001 and 0x80004005 - App Unusable - Microsoft Community) And after trying several solutions I finally decided to go with the painful one and reinstall windows.

On my old windows installations I have the below games under G:\WindowsApps:

- Age of Empires IV - Folder name - Microsoft.Cardinal_5.0.15965.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

- Hades - folder name SupergiantGamesLLC.Hades_1.0.38246.0_x64__q53c1yqmx7pha

And then i had the below under Program Files with properly name folders:

- A Plague Tale- Innocence

- Forza Horizon 5

- Naraka: Bladepoint

Now i reinstalled windows on a new SSD and i have the Xbox app games under C:\XboxGames and i have two issues, 1. I can't use my existing downloaded games ( i tried starting a download then copying in the old folder/files but it doesn't detect it and it just redownloads from scratch anyway). 2. I can't delete the old folders, for example if i try to delete Hades it would give me a permission denied error even though I am admin and I set the folder ownership to everyone.

Could someone please help me? I connected with the live chat support and they literally said this is more complex than they thought and just released the question.

Thanks,

:)

AshrafSharaf, Jul 5, 2022
  2. AshrafSharaf Win User

Hi Ricardo,

Thank you for your reply. I did take ownership and still wasn't able to delete specially exe files, but someone suggested that it be done in safe mode and that thankfully worked for me. I was able to delete there.

However, the main issue that I'd like to make the app detect some of the existing games rather than redownload, is that possible?

Thanks,

Ashraf
  3. JosefLBohorquez Win User

Hi and thanks for reaching Microsoft Xbox gamer's community. My name is Josef.
    I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft Xbox user like you.

Hope you're doing great today Ashraf

Sadly right now the Xbox app doesn't have the ability to detect existing games :c
    So you need to re-download

Greetings from another Microsoft user!
  4. Ricardo Lechuga Win User

Hi AshrafSharaf! My name is Ricardo an independent advisor ready to help you with this situation!

You will need to delete the files, for this you will need to take ownership of the folders, as those are from a different windows installation, your current user is not the one that created those files, please try the steps here to take ownership of the files

https://windowsreport.com/take-ownership-folder...

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.
  5. Florian Castelli Win User

No gamepass games will install through the Xbox app on PC

Thanks for you answer !

I've tried everything to stay away from reinstalling W11 but seems like it was the only fix possible.

I've created a .iso file via Windows Creation Tool, reinstalled W11 and kept my file.

Xbox app works perfectly now. It's a shame we have to go through all those things to... download a file.

It would never occur on steam for instance but seems like all those hidden files, priorities and exception from Xbox app are a complete mess...

Florian
  6. TristanHolley Win User

Windows 11 Xbox App Problem.

I checked my laptop (also W11) and copied the .GamingRoot file to the root of my D: drive and restarted the Xbox app and was able to start a game install.

Thank you VERY much! that was really strange as I never deleted anything I had even installed one game to that drive. Anyway. Great suggestion to check another PC (creating a text file and deleting the filename and just leaving the extension of .GamingRoot didn't seem to help)
Thema:

1. Xbox Game App on W11 - Not allowing me to detect already download games or delete old files. - Similar Threads - Game App W11

2. Xbox app not loading and xbox game bar social tab not loading continue

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Xbox app not loading and xbox game bar social tab not loading continue: I made a post a while ago and i wasnt able to get back to it until recently I said this: I have had this issue for a while now. Whenever I try to open the xbox app, i am left with the black...
  3. Xbox mic only working for game chat after streaming to PC Xbox app then closing it

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox mic only working for game chat after streaming to PC Xbox app then closing it: I have an interesting problem. I played around with streaming to my pc from my console so I could use a usb mic I already have hooked up to my pc for better voice chat. However, when trying to use...
  4. Why is my Game Bar and my Xbox App not loading or working?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why is my Game Bar and my Xbox App not loading or working?: It just started yesterday. So i turned on my PC and i load up the xbox app and for some reason, it doesn't work. So i try to do it with my Game Bar. Doesn't load either. So i went to my settings...
  5. Xbox app not recognizing my xbox 360 controller (wireless) but I've been playing games with it?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox app not recognizing my xbox 360 controller (wireless) but I've been playing games with it?: My PC is on windows 11. I have my Xbox 360 controller connected via the 'Xbox 360 wireless receiver for windows' the controller works fine for all games, I have just completed the Halo Master...
  6. does anyone know how to turn on background apps permissions on Xbox game bar? "background...

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    does anyone know how to turn on background apps permissions on Xbox game bar? "background...: I have been looking for literal HOURS on the internet and havnet found anything. I went to every setting and still nothing. if anyone could help me, that would be amazing....
  7. Game pass app not working

in XBoX on Windows
    Game pass app not working: For some reason the layout of my Xbox gamepass app is different than the other ones I see. My one profile icon is on the bottom right and others is on the bottom middle. I don’t know why this is...
  8. Launching Steam games mutes ALL audio from all apps/windows/etc.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Launching Steam games mutes ALL audio from all apps/windows/etc.: This only happens with Steam games. I launches a different game through the Ubisoft launcher and had no audio issues. Whenever I launch ANY of my Steam games, audio from ALL sources completely...
  9. I need help. For some reason my Xbox one refuses to open games and apps.

in XboX Insiders
    I need help. For some reason my Xbox one refuses to open games and apps.: For some reason my 7 (maybe) year old Xbox one won’t start up apps or games saying “for some reason [x] took too long to open”. I tried power restarting it (I think that was the name for it) I...
  10. I keep getting error c0000006 on my computer. It pops up in certain apps and games. How to...

in XBoX on Windows
    I keep getting error c0000006 on my computer. It pops up in certain apps and games. How to...: I tried opening a Setup to install some games but I keep getting this external exception error c0000006. Also when I try to activate my windows, the settings just freezes. Any solution on how to...