Xbox for PC App Won't Start or Let me Install Games

Discus and support Xbox for PC App Won't Start or Let me Install Games in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I've tried searching the forums but haven't found anything yet. I'm running into 2 specific problems with my Xbox for PC app. Xbox App Won't Start I... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Jordan Hanely, Dec 20, 2022.

1. Xbox for PC App Won't Start or Let me Install Games

I've tried searching the forums but haven't found anything yet. I'm running into 2 specific problems with my Xbox for PC app.

Xbox App Won't Start

I click the icon and it shows the black splash screen like it's loading, and the window closes. I try to open it via the toolbar at the bottom right and same result. I've found that if I go into the Windows App settings and then the Advanced Settings for the app, I can reset the app (so it logs me out), repair it, and terminate it. I can then launch it and log in. Which leads to the second problem:

Xbox App Won't let me Install/Uninstall Games

Once I'm logged in, it's not letting me define an installation directory in my settings. The "Change Where App Install by Default" dropdown is completely empty.

Going to install a game, the directory listing is just a empty parentheses, and trying to uninstall sends me directly to the Windows App area where I can reset/repair/terminate the app.

I was going to run as administrator but when I right-click the app in my start menu, it doesn't have that option. I'm not sure what's going wrong. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling and restarting my computer but still no luck. Additionally, once I close the app, it won't start again.

:)

Jordan Hanely, Dec 20, 2022
  2. Jordan Hanely Win User

Just opened my event viewer and I'm seeing this when I try to launch and it immediately crashes:

[​IMG]
  3. Jordan Hanely Win User

Update - I have tried chkdsk (kinda silly in hindsight since I have SSDs) and the integrity check recommended in other threads. No issues on my computer. Xbox app is the only thing failing to work on my computer. It worked a week ago so not sure what happened between then and now. I don't recall if I had a Windows Update but I am up-to-date on Windows.
  4. Jordan Hanely Win User

Nothing huh? Noticed more and more folks on the reviews of the app are having a similar problem with the app not launching.
  5. HellPoc Win User

I can't install a game

The game is not installed on my PC, Xbox (beta) bugged and won't let me install again
  6. mikecalvar Win User

Xbox app for PC won't let me select a drive to install a game

Figured out the fix... Repair and Reset the data for the Gaming Services app from inside of settings

[​IMG]
Thema:

1. Xbox for PC App Won't Start or Let me Install Games - Similar Threads - App Won't Start

2. My Xbox app won't start on my Windows 11 PC.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    My Xbox app won't start on my Windows 11 PC.: It has worked in the past but won't load past the initial Xbox logo and closes the program after a minute or two. I have tried repairing, resetting and reinstalling the Xbox app and the game...
  3. MSFS2020 Won't start when I press play in the Xbox app.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    MSFS2020 Won't start when I press play in the Xbox app.: I’ve just installed MSFS2020 to play again, but when I tried to open the sim, it didn’t start. I have tried multiple methods to fix this issue, but none of them have worked. Back when I used to...
  4. Xbox app downloads won't start on PC

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox app downloads won't start on PC: Xbox app downloads won't start on PC. Hellow. With Xbox support, we've tried every possible option, but nothing seems to work. I have Win 11, Ultimate subscriptionI can't download games through...
  5. Xbox app won't start

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox app won't start: Hi, For a few weeks now I've been having problems launching the Xbox app on windows 10. The problem: When I click on the app, the window opens for about 3 seconds then closes. I get the logo, it...
  6. Every time I start up my computer, the Xbox app party function won't work until I restart...

in XBoX on Windows
    Every time I start up my computer, the Xbox app party function won't work until I restart...: Every time I start up my computer, the Xbox app party function won't work until I restart the computer. I do not have the app automatically launch at start up, which is a setting I choose with all...
  7. Xbox App (PC) ver. 2004.2000.57.0 - Streets of Rage 4 won't start

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox App (PC) ver. 2004.2000.57.0 - Streets of Rage 4 won't start: Game Pass Ultimate Germany Windows 10 ver. 19041.208 Xbox App (Beta) ver. 2004.2000.57.0 Downloaded and installed the game successfully. When trying to play, it opens the game window, won't...
  8. Xbox Console Companion App Won't Start and freezes PC

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox Console Companion App Won't Start and freezes PC: Hello all, I've got two different notebook computers (one Dell and other Asus) and the Xbox Console Companion App simply doesn't work on any of them. It used to work on my Asus one, but now it...
  9. Games won't launch from Xbox App or Start Menu

in XBoX on Windows
    Games won't launch from Xbox App or Start Menu: When I click "Play" in the Xbox App nothing happens. If I try to launch two different games from the Start Menu it just opens this store page: [img] I've tried all the steps in the FAQ:...
  10. Gears Of War 4 (Windows 10 App) won't start after a few days (closes without error)

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Gears Of War 4 (Windows 10 App) won't start after a few days (closes without error): Hi guys! I read about many people having problems with the download of Gears Of War 4, but that isn't an issue for me. What's happening is that my app won't start after a few days. The screen...