XBox for PC app fails updates, slow to download, totally unreliable, anything I can do to...

Discus and support XBox for PC app fails updates, slow to download, totally unreliable, anything I can do to... in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; OK, so on my old Windows 10 PC the XBox app for PC games worked fine. I bought a new PC last year and it has been just a trainwreck ever since.... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Chris Wright8, Mar 10, 2023.

1. XBox for PC app fails updates, slow to download, totally unreliable, anything I can do to...

OK, so on my old Windows 10 PC the XBox app for PC games worked fine. I bought a new PC last year and it has been just a trainwreck ever since.

Downloads take forever, as an example, I signed on to the app immediately after finishing work, about 6pm this evening so that updates could run before I started gaming this evening. I have (had) plans to play Forza Horizon 5 with a friend this evening. When I left it, it said FH5 had an update required, I clicked update and left. 1 hour and 45 minutes later, it still says "Downloading 0%". This is not uncommon. Most installs or upgrades I do have to be done overnight.

This was not the case with the old PC.

Updates also frequently fail with useless error codes, restarting generates the same error codes and eventually I have to uninstall the game reboot the machine and re-install it again. Usually the reinstall will fail a couple of times and require cleaning up and restarting the install again.

I've uninstalled the app a couple of times and reinstalled it again, same for the Gaming Services app.

Any suggestions on what I can try next?

I've pretty much vowed to never ever again buy a game through this app, it's destroyed far too many gaming nights with my friends, and I really don't get many nights free to game.

PC Spec in case that helps:

Windows 11 (up to date)

32GB RAM

i5-12400, 2500Mhz, 6 cores.

GeForce 3060Ti

3 drives:

C: - 512Gb SSD, NTFS <- OS and apps installed here

D: - 2Tb HDD, NTFS

E: - 1Tb SSD, NTFS <- This is where I'm installing the games.

Update - It's now managed to download 36kb. Yes, just 36kb in a bit over 2.5 hours. It's been stuck on that amount now for a while. By contrast, I just opened up Steam and that immediately started downloading and in the last 20 minutes it's downloaded about 2Gb of a Destiny 2 update. So my network is fine, my machine is fine, it's this damned PoS software.

:)

Chris Wright8, Mar 10, 2023
  2. Chris Wright8 Win User

XBox for PC app fails updates, slow to download, totally unreliable, anything I can do to fix it?

And here we are, 1 hour later I still cannot play FH5 (which updated in the end last night) because when I do it just sits there saying "checking for updates" at the launch screen. Darktide is still trying to update in the background, so I'm guessing that's blocking it. I tried to uninstall that from the Windows store (I couldn't from the XBox app because it's NO LONGER LISTED in my games library, and here we are, another game night ruined spent trying to get the Xbox app to do what it's supposed to do.
  3. Chris Wright8 Win User

XBox for PC app fails updates, slow to download, totally unreliable, anything I can do to fix it?

So, no change. Warhammer 40K: Darktide needs an update. I'm looking at it and it's saying 0B of 43.7GB | 0B/s,

Looking at my Ethernet throughput in Task Manager I can see that very little is happening over the network connection. It's not even trying.

At the top of the GamePass window it says "Manage Installs Checking for updates..."
  4. Chris Wright8 Win User

Hi Dericka, I've run those now, the log file for the sfc command seemd to identify only 1 corrupt file that was fixed:

2023-03-11 19:28:05, Info DEPLOY [Pnp] Corrupt file: C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\bthmodem.sys
    2023-03-11 19:28:05, Info DEPLOY [Pnp] Repaired file: C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\bthmodem.sys
    I'll reboot my machine now and see if the next item that needs updating runs any faster...
  5. Dericka Win User

Hi, I'm , an Independent advisor and I can surely help you.

Don't worry we will work on this together. Can you please try to do the steps on this link?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/usi...

Then please restart your PC and try it again. Thanks!
  6. RE2 Noob Win User

Resident Evil 2 Uninstalled After Cancelling An Update

I can't believe it's meant to do it with no warning or anything. Agree it's totally appalling, if you cancelled the update because you were on a very slow connection you can't even re download it again!
Thema:

XBox for PC app fails updates, slow to download, totally unreliable, anything I can do to...

1. XBox for PC app fails updates, slow to download, totally unreliable, anything I can do to... - Similar Threads - app fails updates

2. Xbox Accessories App "failed to sign in using gaming runtime services" when Elite S2...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Accessories App "failed to sign in using gaming runtime services" when Elite S2...: When i try to configure my elite controller with the "xbox accessories" app, i get an error message saying "failed to sign in using gaming runtime services" it tells me to log into the xbox app,...
  3. How to fix gaming services failing to work on PC xbox app, error code 0x8007007e?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How to fix gaming services failing to work on PC xbox app, error code 0x8007007e?: I'm unable to install games on the xbox app on PC (windows 10). "Gaming services failed with error code: 0x8007007e." I've tried everything listed on the support page and nothing has fixed the...
  4. Xbox app in pc doesn't work: Gaming services failed with error code 0x80080005. Help please!

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox app in pc doesn't work: Gaming services failed with error code 0x80080005. Help please!: I had to reinstall windows 11 and ever since I've had issue with Xbox app. I've reinstalled the app several items. Updated from store etc. But still having the issue. Please advise...
  5. Kodi app failing to launch on Alpha

in XboX Insiders
    Kodi app failing to launch on Alpha: I use the Kodi app for a lot of media, from browsing my home uPnP media server to watching DVDs from ISO images (a habit I got into when my last Xbox's disc drive failed; I just put the ISO on a...
  6. Windows 11 Xbox app installation fail

in XBoX on Windows
    Windows 11 Xbox app installation fail: Hello everyone, two days ago the xbox app refused to boot. Therefore I uninstalled the app and tried to reinstall it but unfortunately the installationprogress cancels during the installation....
  7. Hello all, I have game pass and use the xbox app for PC, but downloads always fail at 100%.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Hello all, I have game pass and use the xbox app for PC, but downloads always fail at 100%.: As the title states, I've had some issues with downloading games for about a month now with no luck fixing it. I believe the issue started when I was having some blue screen issues and had to use...
  8. Trying to install abox app via windows store FAIL

in XBoX on Consoles
    Trying to install abox app via windows store FAIL: I have been trying to install the xbox app via windows store but keep getting the same error. ERROR MESSAGE I RECIVE Something unexpected happend Reporting this problem will help us...
  9. My tabs don't open they just fail to open when trying to sign in through xbox app

in XBoX Games and Apps
    My tabs don't open they just fail to open when trying to sign in through xbox app: I am trying to play games on pc through the 1 month xbox pc game pass but when I try to download a game on the xbox app I have to sign in first so I click sign in and the tab tries to open but all...
  10. Xbox App and Microsoft Store fail after a couple of minutes

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox App and Microsoft Store fail after a couple of minutes: I'm having an issue/issues with the Xbox App and Microsoft Store apps. After reboot both apps work for a few minutes and then fail to load new content (the tiles become empty placeholders). I've...