Xbox doesn't turn off HDMI audio when a Headset is connected

Discus and support Xbox doesn't turn off HDMI audio when a Headset is connected in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; When will the Xbox manage to switch between audio outputs instead of using all of them at the same time ? People who need that for recording should... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Evrim Acar, Nov 10, 2021.

1. Evrim Acar
    Evrim Acar Guest

When will the Xbox manage to switch between audio outputs instead of using all of them at the same time ?

People who need that for recording should have the option to activate it manually.

Since the last update I can't even turn off the HDMI audio output anymore.

The only and pretty savage solution is to turn off the TV volume with the remote but it basically still uses both outputs.

:)

Evrim Acar, Nov 10, 2021
  2. WPAK Win User

Which Settings To Set For Astro A50 & Doby Atmos

Hi there,

please try these settings:

Xbox Settings -> Audio -> then under Headset select "Dolby Atmos" and tick the box to say you are using HDMI or Optical. Turn off the Dolby on the headset to make sure the audio doesn't processed to many times.
  3. To CyNicAL Win User

HMDI to DVI

I have my Xbox connected via HDMI AND I have the standard AV connector connected to my Xbox at the same time (for Audio to turtlebeach headset)

If I turn off the TV and turn it back on, the XBOX will restart.. why?

Because the Xbox will switch to displaying via AV if the HDMI source is turned off, this calls for a restart.

Apparently this is what its meant to do Is ther a way of stopping this! as
  4. bladerunnin Win User

Can't use Dolby Atmos for Home Theater with headset base station connected (Elite 800X and Astro A50)

Under Speaker audio in the Audio output settings of the Xbox, try turning off Optical audio while leaving HDMI audio on Bitstream out, then under Bitstream format select Dolby Atmos for HT. When wanting to use the headsets, turn off HDMI audio and then put
    Optical audio on Bitstream out, then under the format choose Dolby Digital (Astro A50) or DTS Surround (TB Elite 800X).
    Hey Diego,

Thanks a lot for the prompt reply. I appreciate you taking time to explain how the audio signal is processed by the various devices in my chain. I just got home and was able to try your suggestions...

It doesn't work.

Once the base station is connected to the Xbox via USB, Dolby Atmos is automatically disabled and cannot be re-enabled no matter what settings I apply. My Audio Output settings are:

- HDMI Audio -> Bitstream Out

- Optical Audio -> Off

- Bitstream Format ->Any attempt to select Dolby Atmos yields the message "For Dolby Atmos for Home Theater, you need to be using HDMI. Dolby Atmos for HT only supports HDMI devices. Try unplugging any headsets or optical headset base stations." and both
    DTS and Dolby Digital are selectable.

In other words, turning Optical Audio to OFF does not make the Xbox ignore the base station...so Atmos is still not useable.

Your suggestion makes perfect logical sense and that is exactly how it should work. But the Xbox doesn't seem to behave logically in this instance.

Do you have any other advice?
  5. Gaaiz Win User

Xbox outputting Stereo audio via HDMI/Optic while using Dolby Headset (Plantronics 800LX)

Hello Sanana94,

Yes, I've followed and double checked the instructions provided with the headset. In my case the headset is connected via the USB Dongle, and not via optical/HDMI. The Xbox states that the regular audio output will be adjusted for the headset until it is
    turned off/unplugged. So when the headset dongle via USB is connected, the Xbox adjusts the headset output to Dolby Atmos (or Windows Sonic) and optical/HDMI output to Stereo instead of Dolby.

However, my issue is that when I turn the headset off the Xbox still recognizes the USB dongle as a "headset". The dongle itself states with the "red led" that it is disconnected, but does not trigger anything to the Xbox so it "knows" that there is no active
    headset. Therefore the Xbox keeps the Stereo audio output via optical/HDMI. Which is not preferred because I like to watch Netflix via the Xbox and I am not always using my headset while gaming.

I haven't contacted Plantronics yet, but since this seems to be a Xbox software issue and it is a official Xbox headset I thought this would be the best place to start.
  6. SeanTheKing87 Win User

Headset audio output

The tv has audio output and the headset is connects. the audio comes through the headset just fine when it is on a regular television channel, as soon as I switch to HDMI the audio stops though, despite the fact that nothing has changed between the headset-tv
    connection. It's as if when I switch the television to HDMI, the output jacks just cease to function
Thema:

1. Xbox doesn't turn off HDMI audio when a Headset is connected - Similar Threads - doesn't turn off

2. Xbox Series X doesn't turn tv off when the xbox turns itself off

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X doesn't turn tv off when the xbox turns itself off: I have my Xbox series X set to turn on and off my tv when the xbox turns on or off. This works as expected when I turn on and off the Xbox directly but when my Xbox turns itself off via power...
  3. Series X doesn't turn off, power light just blinks.

in XboX Insiders
    Series X doesn't turn off, power light just blinks.: As the title says I've had an issue where my series X will not turn off. I hit turn off console and the power button will just slow blink until I manually hold it for 10 seconds forcing a hard...
  4. Xbox Series X doesn't turn off anymore when in a party

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox Series X doesn't turn off anymore when in a party: Hi, I'm expierencing issues since last week, where my XSX won't turn off when I'm in a (voice chat) party (either alone or with a friend). At first I thought it has something to do with my...
  5. "Restart Console" has a confirmation prompt, but "Turn off Console" doesn't. Why?

in XboX Insiders
    "Restart Console" has a confirmation prompt, but "Turn off Console" doesn't. Why?: I was playing a game the other day, and brought up the magnifier to zoom in to read some small text on the screen. As I did this, my wife pressed "Up" and "A" on her controller and it shutdown...
  6. Xbox doesn't consistently turn on/off TV with automatic power set

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox doesn't consistently turn on/off TV with automatic power set: I use the ARC HDMI port on my TV so that my Xbox can automatically turn on or off my television. However, the feature does not work consistently for me. Most times, my Xbox doesn't turn on/off the...
  7. Xbox doesn't turn off - light blinking

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox doesn't turn off - light blinking: Recently, my Xbox One S has stopped turning off properly. I click the button on the console, my TV loses signal from the console, but the light blinks and the fan whirrs indefinitely. So far the...
  8. Xbox one controller doesn't turn off

in XBoX Accessibility
    Xbox one controller doesn't turn off: Hello good people, recently bought a new xbox one s since my previous one's warranty was close to end and I'm having an annoying issue. Every time I turn off the console, the controller doesn't....
  9. HDR doesn't seem to turn "off" after closing a game

in XBoX on Consoles
    HDR doesn't seem to turn "off" after closing a game: So I'm playing the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy and notice after a session the dashboard color is extremely brighter. I've noticed this a few times with past HDR games but this seems to happen...
  10. when I turn on my xbox it doesn't go off of the green loading screen at the very start

in XBoX on Consoles
    when I turn on my xbox it doesn't go off of the green loading screen at the very start: when I turn on my xbox it doesn't go off of the green loading screen at the very start 452e37b5-4d8e-4066-956f-355cb241a762